Game 147: Dodgers at Nats

Sep 19, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Aaron Harang in the opener of today's doubleheader.

The sky is blue, there's a breeze blowing in from the north, there's a chill in the air. Yep, meaningful late-September baseball has arrived in D.C. And since it's such a beautiful day, why don't they just play two?

We've got an old-fashioned, single-admission doubleheader on tap between the Nationals and Dodgers. One ticket gets you into both games. (If you have a ticket for tonight's originally scheduled game, you get into both. If you had a ticket to last night's rainout, you'll have to exchange it for seats of equal or lesser value.)

Jordan Zimmermann faces Aaron Harang in the 4:05 p.m. opener. We're still waiting on lineups, but I wouldn't be surprised if both Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa are in there for the Nationals. I'll post those as soon as we get them.

[UPDATE: Both Espinosa and Morse are in the lineup for Game 1, though Davey Johnson made it sound like neither will play in the nightcap. Also, Ryan Zimmerman is unlikely to play the second game after receiving another cortisone shot in his right shoulder today. Full story on that development coming soon.]

Plenty of updates to come…

LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 1)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 71 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. blovy8 - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

My gut is telling me there's gonna be extra innings today on top of it being two games.

2. Doc - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

WE ARE THE NATS!! (And that includes Espi and The Beast!)

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Morse and Espinosa are in!

4. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Next year, after the Nats sell the naming rights to the stadium, will Mark will be able to say "Welcome to The Jiangxi Hongyuan Pharmaceutical Raw Material Co. Cortisone Park" ?

5. natsfan1a - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Trying to finish up my work for today in time to watch the first game on tv. Go, JZ! Go, NATS!! Go, cortisone!!!

6. Natslifer - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Hey Mark – looks like Springsteen didn't leave too much of a mark in the outfield – how's it look from the park??

7. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Ehay, maybe they could call it SCOTUS Field, and change the Presidential seats to The Court-y Zone.

8. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

my answer to GOSM's question from last post: yes, I like to see all lefties take a crack at Braves' lineup first. if we win two of 3, go with ejax game four. if series goes to five, use jz. hope for a win (i know jz does not like extra rest), followed by GG leading NLCS again and chance for two starts if necessary. just two cents of a guy who will never manage a minor league game.

9. NatsNut - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM

LOL 1anatsfan1a said… Go, JZ! Go, NATS!! Go, cortisone!!!

10. MicheleS - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Going to be sneaking out of the office soon.. Heading down for both games! GO Jordan! GYFNG! Hope Espi and Beast are back in the lineup!

11. SonnyG10 - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Watching both games on HDTV and rooting as if I were there. Go Nats, beat Dodgers x2 today.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Faraz, that's what I'm thinking. Throw the lefties.

13. NCNatsie - Sep 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

With Jordan and LannenI tell you I'm plannin'The clincher for post season play.With Danny and MikeyI think it quite likelyThe Nats will win two games today.

14. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Have been extremely busy the past four or five days (since game one of the Braves series, really) and haven't had a chance to post. But I'm happy to see very few folks are panicking. I can't envision a scenario in which the Nats don't win at least five games (and I certainly expect more wins than that) and the Braves don't lose at least five. GYFNG!

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Eugene, you are fortunate you missed NatsFanJimmy if that's his real name.

16. NatsLady - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Impulse move: going to the games! GO NATS!!!

17. Dave - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Not only am I stuck at school until the end of the day (12 minutes till 4:00), but I also have to stay late to give make-up quizzes! Bummer!I have my ticket from yesterday, so even when I finally make to Nats Park, I have to stand in the box office line. Hope I get to see something tonight.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

19. Tcostant - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

All seats under $200 are sold out from Nationals Insider Presale for each NLDS game. Wow! I'm guessing they held back a few to sell on Friday during the public sale or everyone will be up in arms.

20. peric - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mark tweeted…Zimmerman got another cortisone shot in R shoulder today, will play first game. Davey says arthroscopic surgery likely after season.Wish he got it on Friday morning is all I have to say and looking forward to more of Mark's "Cortisone Shots for everyone"!Moving Zim to first base so the kid can play seems to make more and more sense … every time I see messages/posts like this. Unless they win the world series and Adam LaRoche is the hero methinks this is how its going to be in the very near term.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

peric, the only way I see the Nats making your proposed move is if they firmly believed Rendon was the 3rd baseman of the future.

22. baseballswami - Sep 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

So that little comment about Zim was kind of just sneaked in there. I am guessing that accounts for his lack of hitting in Atlanta. I wish these guys would speak up sooner. I also wish Flo was catching Jordan. His nice, quick game flow has not been the same since Suzuki. To me, and I watch every single pitch, they have just never seemed to have gotten in sync. Gio has been deliriously happy so there is that. I have not been a charter member of the legion of doom, but I have to say I am not feeling optimistic. I don't like the downward turn I have seen in the team since they got swept by Philly, then knocked around by the Marlins and swept by the Braves. I don't know if they have got enough left in the tank after an incredible season so far. Not a knock to them at all – just not sure they can pull it off. Would love to be proved wrong by seeing the team I know they can be out there on the field for two games today. I hope they can pull themselves together.Soooooo very , very much.

23. David - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM

can we get corey brown a start? please?

24. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Not a knock to them at all – just not sure they can pull it off.Pull what off, finish in first and win the division? They're in a pretty good spot for that, by this time. Nobody can be sure what happens to anybody after that. Playoff series are the very exemplars of "small sample size."Not criticizing, just sayin.

25. Dave - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Nice bit of doggerel there, NCNatsie!

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Tcostant, you are probably correct for tomorrow. This will be more than sold out.

27. Nats fan in NJ - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Long time, no post, but reading comments every day. My nephew is going to be part of the color guard b/f the games and really wish I could be there to see that as well as cheer on my 'Nats!!No panic here, just accepting that it is a long season and I suspect that those April & May wins are feeling much more significant now then they did at the time.

28. Section 222 - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My STH ticket rep has confirmed that they withheld a small number of playoff tickets in a variety of sections for Friday's public sale, per MLB rules. Can't imagine those will last long. I'm not sure I would call the people who bought tickets today "bandwagoners." To buy tickets today, you had to be an "Insider," which just means you had to be on the Nationals' email list. That means you were anything from a STH to someone who bought tickets online or signed up on the website, meaning you already follow the team to some extent. The real bandwagoners will be the people who haven't ever been to Nats Park, but will pay very high prices in a few weeks to buy playoff tickets from brokers or on StubHub. To them I say, "welcome aboard!"

29. Expos4Ever - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM

"All seats under $200 are sold out from Nationals Insider Presale for each NLDS game."Yikes, I'm not liking my odds of getting tickets. Does anyone know what time tickets go on sale on Friday?

30. Expos4Ever - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Nevermind, Google is my friend :)A maximum of four tickets per game may be purchased by members of the general public on a first come, first served basis beginning at 10 a.m. Friday at nationals.com/postseason or by calling 888-632-NATS (6287).

31. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Big, Big series coming up with these revamped Dodgers.I would love to see Harper get #'s 20 and 21 today!

32. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I'm going to tomorrow night's game and am driving for the first time — no Metro this time.How much is it to park down there and how much parking is available in their adjoining Lot? Do you have to get there real early or is there space roughly 30 minutes before the first pitch?Anyone?

33. MicheleS - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Just made it!

34. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

OK….dp ball wipes out the lead off walk.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Another BS strike zone. Luckily JZ pitches around that leadoff walk.

36. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Steve J – no idea what the gameday parking fees are. Probably $35-$40 There is a Garage at 4th and M that I use. It's usually $15 or $20 to park there. Because 4th St. is one-way, it's easiest to get there if you take the 6th street exit off 395 (passing the South capital st. exit), then turn left at the bottom of the ramp to go under 395, then left again on the frontage road, then your next left onto 4th st. The garage is on your right just before you get to the light at M st.

37. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Thanks, Ehay — very much, very helpful!!

38. Steady Eddie - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Steve J — "cheapest" lot right outside the stadium is on the southeast corner of 1st and N Sts SE — a private lot belonging to The Yards development, entrance on N St. or N Place SE, that's $25. I was able to get a spot in that lot about 1/2 hour before game time when I took my 90 year old mother to the Cards Saturday afternoon game with about 34,000 people there. They have a $20 lot about a block east on N St.The lot I usually use is $10, entrance on L St. SE east of 7th St. That almost never fills up. It's a substantial walk back but good exercise — and easy access to the SE-SW Freeway off of the westbound Virginia Ave SE.

39. Steady Eddie - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

For those watching on TV, is JZimm getting as badly squeezed on the strike zone as it looks like on Gameday? And is Harang getting as big of a strike zone as it looks?One thing to have a tight or loose zone, another thing to be so inconsistent — and biased — in applying whatever zone you have.

40. Steady Eddie - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

KSUUUUUUUUUZ!Quality AB when we need it. What we didn't get in the Atlanta series, so a great note to start this one.Then JZimm almost gives it a ride….

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Nice bat on ball by Zuuk.

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Steady, 3 pitches by JZ called a ball that were strikes. Harang gets RZim on a strike on the ankles.

43. Tcostant - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Steve try Lot W it's $10 or $15 cash and about 4-5 block walk to the park. You can find exact location on nationals.com under parking.

44. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Two things:I LOVE the late afternoon shadows creeping in at Nats Park. A harbinger of what's do come in the playoffs. Advantage, pitchers. Advantage, Nats.And I am so jealous of MicheleS and the rest who are at the game. I'm working the night job. TV on, of course. But what a day to be outdoors! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

45. SCNatsFan - Sep 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

New uniform, same Nats killer

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

3 singles not hit well. Darn BABIP

47. Secret wasian man - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Jzimm Not sharp today. Gonna need a lot of runs.

48. Steady Eddie - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Steve J, the $10 lot I was talking about was Lot W that TCostant mentioned.

49. SCNatsFan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

C'mon Michael, I know your hand hurts but swing the bat.Boy does this team just need a big inning to get things going.

50. Steady Eddie - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

The HP ump must really stink. Dave and Charlie are expressing incredulity on almost every other pitch. And Gameday had the Beast K'ing on three outside pitches.

51. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Ghost…. Jordans 2 seamer is only moving left to right. It's lost any sink and stays flat.

52. SCNatsFan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

steady eddie strike 3 was off the plate but the others were good pitches

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Morse needs one of those shots in his hand.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Ramirez still a pain

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Nice hit and run by Suzuki

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Werth also needs a shot.

57. Secret wasian man - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

WERTHLESS.m why a we paying this guy big bucks? Looks at two god pitches. Always trying to get a walk. Awful job

58. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Harperation!

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Jordan's 2 seamer is only moving left to right. It's lost any sink and stays flat.That, I would say, would fall into the general category of "Houston, we have a problem."

60. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Zimmification!

61. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Without the sink and no change up, Jordan ends up throwinh too many pitches due to no swing and miss pitch.

62. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Six innings, one run, two baserunners out of the last 11 hitters. Not bad.

63. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

To be fair, they were both doubles into the gap, but they were also the same guy. So there's that.

64. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Overall…a good job by Jordan but a true front of the roatation pitcher needs to do alot better than 106 pitches in 6 innings.

65. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Desmondous!

66. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Jack — every single time out?

67. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This is only the 2nd start he's gotten through 6 innings in his last 7 starts and each time he had a pitch count over 90. That has to improve.

68. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

What I'm saying is he's better than that.

69. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Mo' T-Mo!

70. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, that would be nice.

71. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Morse makes a little league mistake – automatically moving in towards a fly ball – after a few days off.

72. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

It is a long season for Znn at this point. I don't think he's ever been close to 180 innings before, and certainly not lately. The adrenaline will probably kick in for the playoffs, but he'll still have to learn on the job, for how to process that, physically and mentally.

73. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Beast isn't the most graceful outfielder there; that's a Ponce de Leon league error, there. Although, in his defense, it did sound to me like a broken bat, off the bat. Maybe that's what he heard.

74. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Oh, and they show Shark in the dugout, with that "I would have caught that" look on his face.

75. Secret wasian man - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Burnette? Really? Does davey even want to go to the post season?

76. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Sofa – I agree about the sound off the bat. But he still needed to wait to make sure he kept the ball in front of him.

77. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

C'mon Secret – think good thoughts. Burnett looks good tonight!

78. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

OH, and BURNETT (NO e) just ABUSES one of the best hitters in the league!!!ehay, yeah, that was a Ponce play.

79. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

lol – I fired up At Bat and thought it was broken – it showed the Nats/Dodgers game twice. First time I'd seen a doubleheader on it!

80. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

OK, who's left in the bullpen for the nightcap? Better not go extra innings. Might have a Wang sighting.

81. ehay2k - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think Storen had that "Shark would have gotten to that" look on his face.

82. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Awwwww, they get 20 minutes between games. They need to suck it up!

83. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Hanley drops one into leftfield thataybe Corey Brown catches.Surprised Davey didn't sub out Morse for defense.By the way, Burnett did a great job.

84. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

LOL ehay

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

ehay, I was typing as you posted. Corey or Shark.

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

This is what I don't get about Davey. He has an expanded bench. Use it. Corey Brown and. Eury Perez both sitting.

87. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I like the old-school heather-and-red sleeves Drew is sporting. Nice look.

88. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

89. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Drew is definitely all the way back.

90. JaneB - Sep 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

This is a very fun game out here.

91. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Strike out King, Espi does it again.A shot in the shoulder can only help IF you can make contact.

92. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

DING!! DING!! DING!!Attention, participants in the Bob Carpenter Drinking Game.You may now take a drink.Our man has finally uttered those immortal words: "Serious jammage."

93. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

94. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Davey's refusal to ever play small ball and his penchant burning pinch hitters without strengthening his defense in late innings, may cost the old man dearly in the playoffs.

95. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Jane, don't get self-conscious, but they've been showing you on TV cheering, most all game.

96. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

may cost the old man dearly in the playoffs.Or not.

97. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Let's see how sharp Clippard is. I think Clip does much better with more work — not less.

98. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Frivolous jammage, that's what I want to see.

99. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

More work is probably right. He seems to have gotten away from the high fastball.

100. MicheleS - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO9 is the number now

101. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Phew we needed that.

102. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Number-90!!!Wonderful, just wonderful.

103. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Number 9! Number 9! Number 9! Wooooooo HooooooooooTM Michele

104. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Where do you get the open fired grilled chicken at Nationals park?

105. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Wow, even a week ago that was five rows deep. But Clipp knew that when he threw the pitch.

106. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

And Kurt Suzuki, liking his new job.

107. natsfan1a - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I'm liking Suzuki liking his new job. :-)

108. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The Nationals don't usually play "small ball," but in this case they showed some nice ability to produce productive outs, a skill that absolutely helped them earn their 90th win of the season.from Mark's Instant Analysis

109. Steve J, Alexandria - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I see folks talkinga bout where to park — I remember as a little kid, my parents would park in the lot right AT RFK stadium and neighborhood kids would walk up and say to my Dad, "Watch your car for 5 dollars, mister." My father would fork over the cash. Apparently the well known scam way back then was that the 5 bucks 'protected' your car from the kids themselves — who might trash it if you didnt pay. AHH the good Old days!!

110. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM

@Steve J: This goes back even further than RFK. An elderly Washingtonian was telling me of similar tales from Georgia Ave. when the locals were "keep an eye on your tires" for a buck, back in the original Senators days.The more things change…