Sep 20, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler tries to lead the Nats to a playoff clincher tonight against the Dodgers.
It didn't happen last night, though the Nationals certainly made a spirited attempt to rally from six runs down, stun the Dodgers and clinch a playoff berth. So they'll make another attempt tonight, trying to win the series finale against Los Angeles and in the process guarantee they can finish with no worse than the NL's fifth-best record (which is good enough to get into the one-game Wild Card playoff).
Ross Detwiler will be the man on the mound for Davey Johnson, and he's actually been the Nationals' most effective (and consistent) starter during the season's second half (posting a 2.86 ERA in 12 outings). Detwiler certainly appears to be peaking at the right time, because he's going to be needed to pitch several more big games before this season ends.
Fellow lefty Chris Capuano gets the start for Los Angeles, facing the full regular Nats lineup (including Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa).
Updates to come…
LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), ESPN Radio, XM 89
Weather: Clear, 71 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win