Sep 20, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler tries to lead the Nats to a playoff clincher tonight against the Dodgers.
It didn't happen last night, though the Nationals certainly made a spirited attempt to rally from six runs down, stun the Dodgers and clinch a playoff berth. So they'll make another attempt tonight, trying to win the series finale against Los Angeles and in the process guarantee they can finish with no worse than the NL's fifth-best record (which is good enough to get into the one-game Wild Card playoff).
Ross Detwiler will be the man on the mound for Davey Johnson, and he's actually been the Nationals' most effective (and consistent) starter during the season's second half (posting a 2.86 ERA in 12 outings). Detwiler certainly appears to be peaking at the right time, because he's going to be needed to pitch several more big games before this season ends.
Fellow lefty Chris Capuano gets the start for Los Angeles, facing the full regular Nats lineup (including Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa).
Updates to come…
LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), ESPN Radio, XM 89
Weather: Clear, 71 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?