Sep 20, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler tries to lead the Nats to a playoff clincher tonight against the Dodgers.
It didn't happen last night, though the Nationals certainly made a spirited attempt to rally from six runs down, stun the Dodgers and clinch a playoff berth. So they'll make another attempt tonight, trying to win the series finale against Los Angeles and in the process guarantee they can finish with no worse than the NL's fifth-best record (which is good enough to get into the one-game Wild Card playoff).
Ross Detwiler will be the man on the mound for Davey Johnson, and he's actually been the Nationals' most effective (and consistent) starter during the season's second half (posting a 2.86 ERA in 12 outings). Detwiler certainly appears to be peaking at the right time, because he's going to be needed to pitch several more big games before this season ends.
Fellow lefty Chris Capuano gets the start for Los Angeles, facing the full regular Nats lineup (including Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa).
Updates to come…
LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), ESPN Radio, XM 89
Weather: Clear, 71 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy