Sep 20, 2012, 2:45 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan was roughed up for six runs in only 3 2/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: How to put this one into words? Well, when the eighth inning began, the Nationals were trailing 6-0, having seen John Lannan get roughed up while seeing Josh Beckett dominate. Many in the crowd decided to leave. Davey Johnson decided to bench several of his regulars, including Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche. It appeared the Nats would have to wait another night to attempt to clinch a playoff berth. Then Johnson watched as the rest of his lineup stormed back to score six times in the bottom of the eighth and incredibly tie this game. Except then Tyler Clippard served up a towering home run to Matt Kemp to open the top of the ninth, and that entire rally went for naught. (It did make an earlier blown call by plate umpire Alan Porter — resulting in a run for the Dodgers — loom large, though.) In the end, the Nationals will have to wait at least one more day to clinch.
Hitting highlight: For seven innings, there were no hitting highlights. Zero. Zilch. Then Michael Morse led off the bottom of the eighth with aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins