Sep 20, 2012, 2:45 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan was roughed up for six runs in only 3 2/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: How to put this one into words? Well, when the eighth inning began, the Nationals were trailing 6-0, having seen John Lannan get roughed up while seeing Josh Beckett dominate. Many in the crowd decided to leave. Davey Johnson decided to bench several of his regulars, including Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche. It appeared the Nats would have to wait another night to attempt to clinch a playoff berth. Then Johnson watched as the rest of his lineup stormed back to score six times in the bottom of the eighth and incredibly tie this game. Except then Tyler Clippard served up a towering home run to Matt Kemp to open the top of the ninth, and that entire rally went for naught. (It did make an earlier blown call by plate umpire Alan Porter — resulting in a run for the Dodgers — loom large, though.) In the end, the Nationals will have to wait at least one more day to clinch.
Hitting highlight: For seven innings, there were no hitting highlights. Zero. Zilch. Then Michael Morse led off the bottom of the eighth with aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera