Sep 20, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
It won't change anything — certainly not the outcome of the game — but umpire Alan Porter did apologize to Davey Johnson and admit to blowing a crucial call at the plate during the fourth inning last night at Nationals Park.
Johnson said the apology came later during the game, with Porter admitting he should not have credited the Dodgers with a run on a play in which the third out was recorded at third base before another runner crossed the plate.
"He said, 'I'm sorry I messed it up,'" Johnson revealed this afternoon. "They're good guys. I don't have a beef with them. But when you miss one, get help. He got help, and they still didn't get it right."
On the play in question, Porter counted a run scored by Matt Kemp even though the Dodgers slugger was 10 feet short of the plate when teammate Adrian Gonzalez was tagged out near third base by Ryan Zimmerman.
Porter didn't make any call until Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly came out of the dugout to raise the question, at which point the entireRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?