Sep 20, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief last night.
Faced with a decision to pitch a starter on short rest or use a spot start from his bullpen on Sunday against the Brewers, Nationals manager Davey Johnson has decided to send Chien-Ming Wang to the mound for his first start since June 19.
The situation arose after a postponed game on Tuesday against the Dodgers forced a doubleheader the following day.
After using both Jordan Zimmermann and John Lannan on Wednesday against Los Angeles, Johnson looked towards Sunday with a decision between Craig Stammen and Wang. The Nationals’ manager narrowed it down between the two based on matchups; the Brewers offer a lineup loaded with right-handed bats. Giving the start to Wang also allows Johnson to keep Stammen in his current role in the bullpen, a middle-inning specialist with the ability to pitch in long relief.
“The other guy I was going to do is Stammen, but I really like the role that he is in,” Johnson said. “He is invaluable in the role. If I started him, I would lose him two or three days before and two or three days after. I don’t want to do that at this point.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine