Game 150: Brewers at Nats

Sep 21, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The playoff-bound Nationals try to move closer to the NL East title tonight.

As everyone around them celebrated last night, the Nationals all insisted there was plenty of work yet to be done. They're happy to know they'll be in the postseason, but they'd much rather be NL East champions.

The march to a division title begins tonight, with the magic number at 8 as the Braves open a three-game series in Philadelphia and the Nationals open a four-game series against Milwaukee. Like the Dodgers before, the Brewers are trying to make a late charge for the NL Wild Card, so they're plenty motivated entering this series. They even went so far as to trade for Yorvit Torrealba this afternoon, acquiring a catcher who will be eligible to play no more than 13 games for his new club.

The Nationals send Edwin Jackson to the mound, and the right-hander will be seeking something significant himself. With a win, Jackson would improve to 10-10 for the season, and that would make him the fifth member of the Nats' rotation to reach double digits in wins this season.

Updates to come, so please check back…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 74 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Pilchard - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Was really surprised to see the Nats have an overall record of 11-17 in Edwin's 28 starts. Felt like he has been solid all year, but pretty stark contrast between 80-41 in non-EJ starts and 11-17 in EJ starts.Also, the Nats magic number to clinch a home playoff game (the #1 WC spot) is 2; so if the Cards lose to the Cubs today, and if the Nats win tonight, Nats Park is guaranteed a home playoff game.

2. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

OK by me. My childhood team vs. the Nats. I would probably collapse from excitement.

3. Grandstander - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Does anyone know what the deal is with the coupons in today's WaPo? Are they good for just one purchase or can you reuse them?

4. Section 3, My Insufferable Sofa - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Was really surprised to see the Nats have an overall record of 11-17 in Edwin's 28 starts. Felt like he has been solid all year, but pretty stark contrast between 80-41 in non-EJ starts and 11-17 in EJ starts.To be fair, he pitched well enough to very well indeed in quite a few of those starts, and badly in only 4 or 5. He "deserved" better, if there is such a thing in baseball.

5. Section 3, My Insufferable Sofa - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Grandstander, based on what's on the coupons, I'd say you have to turn them in when you buy the hot dogs, or whatever.

6. Section 3, My Insufferable Sofa - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

The Nationals send Edwin Jackson to the mound, and the right-hander will be seeking something significant himself. With a win, Jackson would improve to 10-9 for the season, and that would make him the fifth member of the Nats' rotation to reach double digits in wins this season.It would also make him 70-70 lifetime.

7. JaneB - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Edwin's 70th win is yet another reason for us to win tonight. I am actively rooting for the Phils Outloud abd in public. Just for the weekend. May it be a rough start for the new Brewers catcher.

8. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If they are the same as in the past, you turn them in like money (or the designated driver coupons) when you get the hot dog.

9. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Mil has indeed surged lately — mostly by cleaning up against the NL central (they're 16-3 against the central in their current streak, 9-5 against the NL East in that stretch. Plus their only away games against non-NL Central foes has been a 2-2 split at the Marlins. Yes, they've played well but their only really impressive series was their sweep of the Barves — at home in the bash-friendly confines of Miller Park. I don't see us doing worse than a 2-2 split unless we start Lannan rather than JZimm on Monday. Plus EJax seems to tend to pitch better against tougher teams at home, e.g., dominating the Cards on August 30 (his last good start).

10. Grandstander - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The thing that's throwing me off is the coupon says $1 hot dogs, plural, and says "only one like coupon per transaction". Why would the make it plural if you could only use it once?

11. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

More encouragement vs the Crew: they have a losing record against every division but the NL Central (where they're 43-30), and are 31-43 in road games.

12. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Grandstander — I've used them before and as NL said, you definitely turn them in when you use them. I think there's a limit of 2 or 4 dogs per coupon. That's why the plural.

13. Eric - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

NatsLady,At 9:21 this morning you wrote “The kids who are nine in the year 2012 will never forget this season.” This struck a chord as my son turned nine this week, and this was the year he (along with me, a lifelong Red Sox fan) became a diehard Nats fan – he even had the good fortune to catch (off a lucky rebound) a LaRoche homer May 16 vs. the Pirates! No matter what happens, this season has been incredible, and I fully expect my son will have great memories of this year for a long time to come.

14. JaneB - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Last year, I got teary when I saw we were at Game 150 because the end was near. Now the world looks rosier at Game 150.Grandstander, maybe because they expect people to collect lots of them?Be brilliant tonight, Edwin! Bats get going to support him, and early! GYFNG!

15. peric - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Have to assume Wang on Sunday as a probably loss. Yes, JZimm will start on Monday. But Lannan will end up facing the Cardinals and as a result … the Phillies, a team he always struggles against and a team against whom he has a solitary win over the past 4 or 5 years.So, right there we could be looking at three losses. Not including any breakdowns on the part of any of the other starters. If they can manage to win 8 games over a grueling schedule they would end up with 100 wins which would be very nice indeed!

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

GYFNG

17. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

OK, there's the answer on Mark's tweet – it's JZimm on Monday. Davey did say he wanted righties against the Crew , and Gio is no slouch as the sole southpaw. The Nats looked really focused last night and I think they're going to take three of four this weekend. Just wish I could go to one but with my daughter's wedding festivities I am charging my iPhone for GameDay instead.

18. peric - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

On the plus side? Lannan finishing .500 or close to .500 for the season is about what you could expect from him.

19. Section 222 - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Steady — It might be too late to get one for this weekend, but a portable charger is a great investment. I used it regularly at Nats Park now, where the power seems to drain even more rapidly than normal. Congrats on the wedding and hope you have a great weekend.I know everyone is writing off Wang vs. Gallardo on Sunday, but this is exactly the kind of reverse lock this team has often pulled off. I don't think Wang will be great, but I'm sure not writing off the Nats' bats ability to score runs in that game. We've done it to Gallardo before.JaneB — I had a similar thought this morning. Usually as the last homestand nears an end I start feeling withdrawl symptoms. What on earth will I do with myself when the seasons ends? This year, I find myself looking forward to October. Bring on the playoffs!

20. baseballswami - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Since I still have two hours to talk about last night – this summer all the talk was Strasburg. Last night we showcased Ross and Drew, 2 dynamic , young Nats pitchers. They were both breathtaking to me. MLB, take notice. The Nats are not a one- trick pony.

21. natsfan1a - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

No predictions here as I prefer to wait and see what happens when they actually, you know, play the games. I think there's a reason they play them. Can't quite remember what that is. Anyway.Go, Edwin! Go, NATS!!

22. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I have a portable charger. I got it at Radio Shack. I bought the most expensive kind (about $100). It has two USB ports and goes for about 8-12 hours. You can get a charger for $30 that gives you 4 extra hours.

23. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

222- agree re Gallardo, we pounded him for 7ER last time we faced him this year. While many of us shared NatsJack's frustration at being shut down twice by a so-so pitcher like Nolasco, I noted that even when we beat him in June, it was with a bunch of singles in one inning, and even didn't knock him out of the game. So there's a good backdrop from the Nats' perspective on being able to get to Gallardo.

24. Steady Eddie - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM

NL — thanks for the tip on the chargers. It's mostly a problem because my phone is getting older and holds a charge for less use these days. Plus GameDay is heavy on data flow.

25. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I'm planning to do a blog next season, and use the off-season to do analytical work to post during the season, along with Nats-related stuff.One idea that I have is to look into the effect of late inning defensive indifference/steals. We've gotten bit by that, and I want to see if that happens to other teams, and do a risk/benefit analysis. I plan to look at all games that were won in the 8th or later innings. I'll start with the stats and then look at video to see how infielders were positioned.Any other ideas are welcome.

26. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Will have to watch the replay later, but my thoughts are with the Nats (even if my body is at a student/faculty reception). GYFNG!

27. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I have an old iPhone. Today I got a software upgrade that seems to include Siri. I don't know how to get to her yet. I thought she only came with more advanced phones, but I guess if you just wait long enough…y'know, like waiting for the Nats to be good!

28. NatsLady - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Going home and park my car and take Metro so will probably be late to the game. Last Friday game I couldn't find parking and ended up going home. GO EDWIN, GO NATS!!!

29. Jim Webster - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Natslady… I too was once a Milwaukee fan (saw Warren Spahn win 300th at County Stadium in '60 or '61) but seem to recall they were named something like Braves, not Brewers, back then. But we had more breweries in those days.

30. NCNatsie - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Eric and Nats Lady, re 9-year olds:I was nine when my Aunt Janet and her friend Sylvia took me to my first ball game. We sat in the right field stands at Fenway. Ted Williams, who had just returned to the team, came up as a pinch hitter in the 7th inning and hit his first homer since getting out of his Marine uniform and coming back from the Korean War. It went over my head and a little to the bullpen side. It's now 60 years and one month later and I still remember all those details, plus how amazed I was to walk into a brick building and find it carpeted with the greenest grass I'd ever seen. May today's nine-year olds be as blessed.

31. NCNatsie - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Nats Lady, count me in as a follower of your blog next year, GLW&CDR.

32. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Jim Webster…. I saw Spahn win his 20th game in Philadephia in 1963. He went on and won 3 more that year but it was his last 20 win season.I hope to see Gio get first 20 win season tomorrow.

33. peric - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I'm planning to do a blog next season, and use the off-season to do analytical work to post during the season, along with Nats-related stuff.Just don't expose anyone to elementary statistics and bell curves. You might freak 'em out.

34. DWS - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

True peric, and good luck with your Blog Nl.Good luck Nats from another old Expos fan that watched Jim Fanning bring in Steve Rogers??? to face the Dodgers.

35. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM

A shout out to MicheleS for stopping by section 235. Also great seeing Joe Seamhead and his better half heading to their seats.GYFNG!!!!

36. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Lol Tcostant – I guess Obama is trying to woo DC voters? :-) Will be at the park tomorrow. Want to get Livo's autograph.Nice first inning by Ejax – nary a run scored!

37. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

good luck Peric!

38. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Uh, mick, I don't think it's peric writing the blog…

39. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

ehay2k ok, i must have read it wrong

40. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

OK, new imbibing phrase – "bat died a hero"

41. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

ALR = MVP!

42. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Adam baby!!!!

43. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

ehay2k lolololo I love it!!!

44. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Adam's raising Cain, lol

45. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM

0-2 count HR is frustrating

46. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Ejax just hung a breaking ball. Happens. Was the right pitch, just not well executed. Get the next guy.

47. MicheleS - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I think NatsNut just won the AU prize pack.

48. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Cool – we can now call her Natsnut (honorary) PhD. :-)

49. Section 222 - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Love the hustle E-Jax. Way to go.

50. ehay2k - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Ejax – showing up CMW!!!

51. mick - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM

conceivably, you could see both Ejac and Strass PH in playoffs

52. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

actually, Strass PH and Ejac PR

53. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM

True mick, but that would be ill-conceived. :-)

54. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

ehay2k…. Ejac PR has speed

55. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Mick, they both have skills, but are too valuable to hit/run with and risk an injury.

56. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Especially Ejax, who will pitch in the playoffs.Yes, we can all say playoffs now. :-)

57. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Anyone besides me get the feeling that Morse's timing is fine, but his power is greatly diminished?

58. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yes, but he is the one with the hit because everyone else is swinging for the fences on every pitch. They had the pitcher get on base with no outs and never moved him over even one base. They are not moving runners because they are trying to hit home runs instead of making productive outs.

59. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Swami – it sounds like you are criticizing the hitting coach? I'm still OK with that. :-) Anybody at Nats park need a flu shot? Ejax is putting on a clinic, so ….

60. waddu eye no - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM

"timing is fine, but his power is greatly diminished?"if i had a nickel for everytime i've heard thatpadum pum

61. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

You could watch this game lying down. The ball hasn't gotten any grass on it. It's in the sky and in a glove.

62. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Waddu – I don't know whether to laugh or cry…

63. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Speaking of lying down, where's Nyjer? ;-)

64. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:46 AM

That was a filthy pitch from Ejax!

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Brought no maloox to the park. 10 days free.

66. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Strike em out Throw em Out!!I Don't Believe What I Just Saw

67. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

8 strong from EJax…I guess a few who have said he's not in the top 3 for the playoff rotation may be a little off…Edwin is certainly inconsistent, but when he's good, he has #1 stuff…

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Can some one bring Maloox to section 317. I have the Clippard effect

69. Sj - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Here comes Ty Clip!,,,

70. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I don't believe what I just saw. That throw seemed to bounce ten times before Segura applied all over Jayson's leg. How was he not safe? Maybe the horrible jump was the reason, but let's blame the umpires for this one.

71. Cwj - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I have a bad feeling about this…

72. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

horrible call. watch the tag not when the ball gets there. Clipp In. Wheres the vodka. Hang on boys. So did anyone watching on tv see the woman asleep under the blanket?

73. Cwj - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Jackson probably could have finished this.He's a horse.Clippard was more dominant as a setup guy than a closer, I think.

74. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM

If Clip walks Weeks, will Storen be up?

75. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Hard to blame Clip for a bunt hit and a passed ball…You guys are tough

76. Cwj - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Good catch and throw from Harper.

77. Cwj - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Darn, I knew it would happen.Nothing against Clippard at all, he's a great reliever. But this game belonged to Jackson and it should have been his to win or lose.

78. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Lucky that one stayed in the park…Clip with a high leg kick allows an easy steal…Ouch

79. Exposremains - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Storen is the closer, not clippard. you could see its gonna happen.

80. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Braves lost

81. Exposremains - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Perfect.

82. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Clip just didn't look sharp. Last two hits were hard ones.

83. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM

WOW what a joke. Shame on you Davey. Yes Doom and gloom is here. Clipp cant close. What a waste of a great game by edwin. Hopefully we learned to neve put him in to close again.

84. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Why pinch hit with Tracy. He stinks. Let edwin finish. These fans deserve better.

85. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Nats scored first – we are not supposed to lose. Team needs to pick Clip up.

86. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I dread each and every time that Tyler Clippard comes into the games. Statistically, he seems okay, but I don't know what to say. He has just not been good since the All Star break.

87. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I'm as happy as can be about post season, but i have issues with Clip. the tying run is not his fault, the go ahead is all his and once again he owes Ejac and team an apology. This is old now and Davey really needs to sit him down maybe for good. He looks nervous, has no command or confidence in what he is doing and is really letting the team down

88. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Closing is nothing but one inning of relief. If Clip can't do that, he should not be in the big leagues. And we all know that is not true.

89. Secret wasian man - Sep 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

does davey feel sorry for clip? Why would you after what happend Wed.

90. Drew - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Why would you put Clippard in this situation when he's struggled so badly lately?

91. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Haha…Yeah, he's only had 30+ saves and been huge for the bullpen all year…He's looked bad the last few outings, no doubt, but to say he should never close again??I prefer Storen as the closer too, but all closers go through this type of thing from time to time…

92. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM

They should have made Strasburg the closer. Now, we need to consider the new kid, but otherwise, this bullpen, (closing not middle) is going to doom us.

93. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

ehay2k I am sorry, I am not being a legion of doom here, but Clip's last 2 outings at HOME are not acceptable

94. ExposedinDC - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I think clip just made the closers decision for Davey, however I doubt Davey will confirm or deny

95. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Swift… not in Sept when playoffs are around the corner

96. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Amen Mick. HORRIBLE. Now Davey???? REALLY????????? FLUSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

97. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

The only good thing about this is that Davey is sure to demote Clippard. He just doesn't have the stuff to be a closer. Compared to the Braves' guys, he just doesn't match up and his silly mound mannerisms are just annoying when guys are marching around the bases.

98. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

ExposedinDC EXACTLY…

99. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM

No Mick, the Legion of Doom are the ones who ONLY post when things go bad for the Nats…You're always here, through good and bad..

100. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

He looks unsure out there and that is not good for a closer

101. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Wow – that pitch was up and away. Good pitch, better hit. Desi didn't make the tough throw. C'mon Nats, make us proud in the ninth. (Although Rodriguez is unhittable.)

102. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Closers do go through this from time to time and guess what? They are no longer closers. Heath Bell anyone?

103. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

If you want to go anywhere you cant blow saves in Late September.

104. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Swift… thank you

105. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The true losers are the people who only post when the Nats are winning. It is always easy to post when your team is winning.Maybe Davey did this on purpose, to make sure that he didn't have to use Clippard as a closer anymore. In that case, it was a brilliant move. I would rather have it happen here than have Clippard as closer in the play-offs.

106. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM

"Strasburg the closer" !?! This is not like pumping gas, this is major league pitching. You don't take a guy whom has never thrown relief and then make him a reliever while your team is in a pennant race. Doubly so when you shut him down to save his arm.

107. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM

108. phil dunton - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Cllippard has not been effective since the All Star break. Same goes or Burnett. This bullpen is burned out because the starting pitchers are incapable of pitching deep into the games. This is a bad place to be heading into the playoffs.

109. ExposedinDC - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Barring another miracle in the 9th, saturdays game is huge, with CMW going against their ace on Sunday

110. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

For what seems like the umpteenth time, Please remember that One of the main reasons guys will run through a wall for Davey is that he shows faith when they slump….yes, this blown save hurts tonight, but in the big picture, Davey's faith in his guys has resulted in 91 wins! Trust the Process…

111. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Yeah, I thought Strasburg was on an innings limit, not games. I seem to recall many great pitchers who went from starter to closer and back with no problems at all, but go ahead, if you think Clippard will carry you to the World Series with his mediocre fastball and iffy control, more power to you.

112. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Secret wasian man said… Swift, I notice everytime the nats blow one or stink you attack the "legion of doom" How about attacking the team once in a while. Maybe some of us show up when the lose because it helps us vent. September 21, 2012 9:56 PM _____________________________________In my opinion, a good fan doesn't boo or trash his own team.I didn't boo when I had to watch 100 losses, and I won't do now when they're in FIRST PLACEYou are free to disagree

113. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM

This is two blown saves in a row in crucial games.

114. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Do what you want Swift and leave everyone else alone. It is not your site and who cares what you think. I will express my opinion whether you like it or not.

115. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Really WODL – name ONE starting pitcher (who never before threw in relief) who was shut down for a couple of weeks, then brought back as a reliever in a pennant race. ONE.

116. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I agree, Storen deserves to be the primary closer based on his performance and Clipp's slide…I just disagree with those who make huge jumps to "Clipp should never close again"…Never is a long time

117. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Clip has done us well in getting to this point, but the way Storen looked last night? We need to win some more games here, can't afford crap like this.

118. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM

And if we are free to disagree, then shut the frig up with the Legion of Doom comments. You don't need to even respond to these comments if you feel they aren't pertinent to you.

119. Cwj - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Well, I certainly wouldn't go so far to say Clippard is bad by any means!He's been outstanding ever since the Nats got him from the Yankees several years ago.BUT, he is not a full time closer. And there is a difference between pitching the 8th and pitching the 9th.Clippard excelled at pitching the 7th-8th with a lead, but has been erratic (not terrible) as a closer this year.Next year no doubt (maybe even for the rest of the season) we'll have the traditional Clippard to Storen. Remember last year? "Clip and Store" :)That's the way it should be

120. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Did Braves lose?

121. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Anemic offense did not help.

122. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

If the Braves lose we actually cut the magic number to 8, right?

123. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Braves lost, the number is 7

124. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Agreed CWJ – Clip was made a closer out of necessity, and did a pretty good job of it. But Store was BORN a closer.

125. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Clippard looks like he simply has lost it. I keep checking his stats and they are decent, but it just doesn't seem to translate to being a closer. There really is no margin for error in a game like this. You can't let the lead off hitter bunt so easily. Rivera would have sawn the bat of in his hands.

126. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

magic num is already 7

127. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Braves lost. Number is at 7.

128. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Yes, Braves lose 6-2!

129. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM

It is disappointing because we had a good chance to win 100 games. Now we have Wang pitching on Sunday so we better win tomorrow.

130. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM

The things is, we needed more than 2 runs verse Brewers

131. baseballswami - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:05 AM

What is up with our hitters tonight. They look lost. Pitcher not exactly a cy young candidate.

132. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:06 AM

How do you guys not know the Braves' score?

133. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Bats are pretty bad lately

134. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Five losses out of six.

135. UnkyD - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Balls.

136. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

baseballswami that too, but, when you are up 2-1 in 9th at home, your closer can not blow it either for the second time in a row

137. Sj - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

There goes Ty Clip!

138. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

7, fantastic!!!

139. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Davey is not dumb. He obviously put Clippard out there to get rid of him as closer, so let's view this as a positive, just as when Henry blew those games against the Dodgers and the Reds. The other guys can't work the whole game so Clippard can come in and piss it all away on the first pitch. He almost blew both games against the Dodgers with his pitches to Kemp. No more.

140. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

The Nats have had a dream season. I have had more fun then ever this year. But this team is NOT playing well. Swept in Atlanta. 2 and 2 on this homestand. both games were blown in the ninth. Thank goodness for the Phillies.

141. ehay2k - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Agreed SWM – hitters not quite clicking right niw,.Another game tomorrow.

142. ExposedinDC - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I really think it was Davey giving Clip one last chance to show he is the closer, now we move on with Drew..I do feel for ejax though

143. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Actually, that is five losses out of seven, I guess.

144. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM

What about Garcia?

145. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

it's also 91 wins in the last 149 games…

146. Swift Eagle - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Bad time for the team to slump…They're going to have to get a second wind a play a lot better to make noise in the playoffs

147. ExposedinDC - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Was thinking the same thing Willie O

148. mick - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

ExposedinDC I think you are spot on about Davey… I believe that is what he was doing. Clip should be the set up, I think he is more relaxed in that role

149. Secret wasian man - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Swift, We all luv da Nats. If not we wouldnt be here. Just a little nervous about the quality of play lately.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM

@ 934 I called foraloox knowing Clippard would come in.Why didd it take so long to replace him