Sep 21, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez has a 5.05 ERA in 42 appearances with the Braves and Brewers.
He's still won more games than any other pitcher in Nationals history, throwing more innings and recording more strikeouts than anyone who has ever worn the uniform. He started on Opening Day three times, threw the first pitch in a major-league ballgame in Washington, D.C., in 34 years and remains one of the most popular players to wear a curly W cap over the last eight seasons.
So it shouldn't come as much surprise to learn Livan Hernandez still reserves a special place in his heart for the Nationals and for the city of Washington. And it shouldn't come as a surprise to learn the veteran right-hander was watching last night when the Nationals clinched their first-ever playoff berth and felt an emotional tug for his ex-teammates exchanging high-fives in the middle of the diamond.
By quirk of the schedule, Hernandez happens to find himself at Nationals Park this weekend, now a member of the Brewers bullpen (after pitching for the Braves earlier this season) and trying to help his current club make a late push for its own postseason berth.
The 37-year-old pitcher known and loved by the Nationals and their fans simply as "Livo" took time this afternoon to discuss his feelings for his former team, a town that still feels like home to him and theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws