Sep 21, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Livan Hernandez has a 5.05 ERA in 42 appearances with the Braves and Brewers.
He's still won more games than any other pitcher in Nationals history, throwing more innings and recording more strikeouts than anyone who has ever worn the uniform. He started on Opening Day three times, threw the first pitch in a major-league ballgame in Washington, D.C., in 34 years and remains one of the most popular players to wear a curly W cap over the last eight seasons.
So it shouldn't come as much surprise to learn Livan Hernandez still reserves a special place in his heart for the Nationals and for the city of Washington. And it shouldn't come as a surprise to learn the veteran right-hander was watching last night when the Nationals clinched their first-ever playoff berth and felt an emotional tug for his ex-teammates exchanging high-fives in the middle of the diamond.
By quirk of the schedule, Hernandez happens to find himself at Nationals Park this weekend, now a member of the Brewers bullpen (after pitching for the Braves earlier this season) and trying to help his current club make a late push for its own postseason berth.
The 37-year-old pitcher known and loved by the Nationals and their fans simply as "Livo" took time this afternoon to discuss his feelings for his former team, a town that still feels like home to him and theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology