Sep 21, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen has been scored upon in only one of his last 17 appearances.
Tyler Clippard has been the Nationals’ closer since May 22, and during that time he’s been one of the most effective closers in baseball, converting 32 of 35 save opportunities and holding opponents to a .179 batting average.
Drew Storen, however, was supposed to be the Nationals’ closer this season until an elbow injury required surgery and landed him on the disabled list for 3 1/2 months. Even upon Storen’s return to the active roster in July, manager Davey Johnson decided to stick with Clippard as his ninth-inning reliever based both on his performance and the fact Storen still needed to work himself back into peak form.
Well, Storen has finally gotten himself back into peak form — witness last night’s dominating, three-strikeout save against the Dodgers — and so Johnson is ready to make a change to the back end of his bullpen two weeks before the Nationals make their postseason debut.
The change: Clippard and Storen will share closing duties, effective
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals