Sep 21, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen has been scored upon in only one of his last 17 appearances.
Tyler Clippard has been the Nationals’ closer since May 22, and during that time he’s been one of the most effective closers in baseball, converting 32 of 35 save opportunities and holding opponents to a .179 batting average.
Drew Storen, however, was supposed to be the Nationals’ closer this season until an elbow injury required surgery and landed him on the disabled list for 3 1/2 months. Even upon Storen’s return to the active roster in July, manager Davey Johnson decided to stick with Clippard as his ninth-inning reliever based both on his performance and the fact Storen still needed to work himself back into peak form.
Well, Storen has finally gotten himself back into peak form — witness last night’s dominating, three-strikeout save against the Dodgers — and so Johnson is ready to make a change to the back end of his bullpen two weeks before the Nationals make their postseason debut.
The change: Clippard and Storen will share closing duties, effective
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies