Sep 22, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks win No. 20 today at Nationals Park.
Last night's loss certainly stung for the Nationals, but in the bigger picture it actually proved a net gain for them, because with the Braves' loss in Philadelphia they maintained their 5 1/2-game lead in the NL East. At this late stage of September, the calendar is the Nats' best friend, and any time you can cross a date off the calendar while maintaining your same lead in the standings is a good day.
A win this afternoon against the Brewers, however, would be nice. Especially for Gio Gonzalez, who makes his second attempt at securing his 20th victory of the season. Gonzalez actually remains the only 19-game winner in the majors, so he's still got some cushion.
No surprises in Davey Johnson's lineup against Milwaukee rookie right-hander Wily Peralta. Johnson said he'll pretty much be going with all his regulars (aside from the catchers) until the Nationals clinch the division.
Updates to come…
MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), WJFK (106.7 FM-JIP), XM 184
Weather: Sunny, 80 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to CF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time