Sep 22, 2012, 10:39 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez tips his cap to a sellout crowd at Nationals Park.
Two winters ago, Miami personal trainer Sergio Pacheco handed client Gio Gonzalez a folder. Inside was a detailed conditioning plan, but what the young left-hander remembers more was what was written on the outside.
It read: “Project 20.” The goal: Turn Gonzalez into a 20-game winner in the big leagues.
“I sit back and I laugh about it, but that’s every day, when I worked out with him, it was … something we wanted to strive for. In a way, you kind of smile about it, because we finally reached our goal, and now it’s time to change it up and continue to try and get better goals and higher goals.”
Gonzalez will have to set a greater standard for himself in 2013, because he’ll forever be etched into the 2012 record book as the majors’ first 20-game winner after a dominating performance Saturday during the Nationals’ 10-4 victory over the Brewers.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury