Sep 23, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang allowed two runs on eight hits over four innings.
Game in a nutshell: Forced to use Chien-Ming Wang in a spot start due to a doubleheader earlier in the week, the Nationals couldn't complain about the performance turned in by the oft-injured right-hander, who at least gave them a chance to win. In fact, the game was tied 2-2 in the top of the seventh before everything fell apart via a flurry of weak hits, intentional walks and flyballs lost in the sun. Thus a ragged ballgame turned into a ragged loss for the Nationals, who have now seen their lead in the NL East drop to 4 1/2 games. They've still got 10 games to play; the Braves only have nine to play. The magic number to clinch the division remains at 6.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had some great scoring opportunities, especially early on. But they took advantage only once, when Chad
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September