Sep 23, 2012, 11:23 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper picks up the ball after Jayson Werth lost it in the sun.
There’s apparently something about the September sun at Nationals Park, the way it hovers just above the third base stands in late afternoon and aligns itself perfectly with routine flyballs hit to center and right fields.
“Once 4:05 comes around, you’ve got the shadows at the plate,” Bryce Harper said. “You’ve got the left field stands, with the red seats or whatever. And then you’ve got the sun monster behind. It’s just something that happens, and you’ve just got to play with it and hopefully it doesn’t happen any more.”
“It” is the stomach-churning feeling outfielders get when they realize they can’t see a routine flyball fast approaching them from underneath that bright sun. “It” was a feeling both Harper and Jayson Werth experienced Sunday afternoon, each at critical moments during what would become a 6-2 loss to the Brewers.
Harper completely lost sight of Ryan Braun’s fourth-inning flyball to center, letting it fall to the ground for a gift double. Braun wound up scoring Milwaukee’s first run of the game.
“You can’t catch what you can’t see, you know?” Harper said with a shrug. “Nothing you can do about it.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?