Sep 23, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper picks up the ball after Jayson Werth lost it in the sun.
There’s apparently something about the September sun at Nationals Park, the way it hovers just above the third base stands in late afternoon and aligns itself perfectly with routine flyballs hit to center and right fields.
“Once 4:05 comes around, you’ve got the shadows at the plate,” Bryce Harper said. “You’ve got the left field stands, with the red seats or whatever. And then you’ve got the sun monster behind. It’s just something that happens, and you’ve just got to play with it and hopefully it doesn’t happen any more.”
“It” is the stomach-churning feeling outfielders get when they realize they can’t see a routine flyball fast approaching them from underneath that bright sun. “It” was a feeling both Harper and Jayson Werth experienced Sunday afternoon, each at critical moments during what would become a 6-2 loss to the Brewers.
Harper completely lost sight of Ryan Braun’s fourth-inning flyball to center, letting it fall to the ground for a gift double. Braun wound up scoring Milwaukee’s first run of the game.
“You can’t catch what you can’t see, you know?” Harper said with a shrug. “Nothing you can do about it.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip