Sep 24, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
|Photo by US-Presswire|
In Davey Johnson’s media session before Monday’s game, the Nationals manager revealed two injuries that sound relatively minor at this point. Outfielder Michael Morse was absent from the lineup card and Johnson confirmed it is another issue with his hand. Davey said he didn’t know which hand and really had no specific information.
“I’m not really 100% sure. I know he came into the training room after the game he was having trouble with his hand. I think he was looking forward to getting a shot or something so I’m just going to stay off of him.”
Johnson said he will know more once Morse visits with a team doctor.
The other injury news deals with relief pitcher Christian Garcia who is now dealing with bicep soreness. Davey said the right-hander felt fatigue in his arm after an appearance in the ninth inning of Saturday’s game against Milwaukee. Garcia allowed a two-run homer to Taylor Green and afterwards may have tried too hard to respond, at least in Johnson’s opinion.
“I think he was just out there on cruise control until that home run. Then he turned it up probably a little higher and it probably fatigued him.”
Johnson added after discussing the injury his plans to convert Garcia into a starter over the offseason. He said nothing will change until the spring where the team may work Garcia to get him ready to begin next season as a starter. It is a decision based on his stuff, but also his injury history of two Tommy John procedures.
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion