Sep 24, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
|Photo by US-Presswire|
In Davey Johnson’s media session before Monday’s game, the Nationals manager revealed two injuries that sound relatively minor at this point. Outfielder Michael Morse was absent from the lineup card and Johnson confirmed it is another issue with his hand. Davey said he didn’t know which hand and really had no specific information.
“I’m not really 100% sure. I know he came into the training room after the game he was having trouble with his hand. I think he was looking forward to getting a shot or something so I’m just going to stay off of him.”
Johnson said he will know more once Morse visits with a team doctor.
The other injury news deals with relief pitcher Christian Garcia who is now dealing with bicep soreness. Davey said the right-hander felt fatigue in his arm after an appearance in the ninth inning of Saturday’s game against Milwaukee. Garcia allowed a two-run homer to Taylor Green and afterwards may have tried too hard to respond, at least in Johnson’s opinion.
“I think he was just out there on cruise control until that home run. Then he turned it up probably a little higher and it probably fatigued him.”
Johnson added after discussing the injury his plans to convert Garcia into a starter over the offseason. He said nothing will change until the spring where the team may work Garcia to get him ready to begin next season as a starter. It is a decision based on his stuff, but also his injury history of two Tommy John procedures.
Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon