Sep 24, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats a win today to salvage a series split with the Brewers.
Their lead in the NL East is down to 4 1/2 games, so should the Nationals be worried? Well, much as they'd like to still lead the Braves by 7 or 8 games, they're still in a commanding position heading down the stretch. If the Nats merely go 5-5 the rest of the way, Atlanta would have to go 9-0 just to force a one-game tiebreaker for the division title. Even if the Nats completely fall apart and go 3-7, the Braves would need to go 7-2 to force that extra game. Still seems unlikely.
The Nationals, of course, do need to win a few more games to wrap this thing up, and they'd certainly love to move step closer today with a victory in their series finale against the Brewers (who are trying to hang on in the Wild Card race but still trail the Cardinals by 2 1/2 games for that final postseason berth).
Wisconsin native Jordan Zimmermann is the starter for this Monday matinee. He'll face a former National in Marco Estrada, who in case anyone forgot posted a 7.20 ERA in 15 appearances (all but one out of the bullpen) for Washington in 2008 and 2009 but has since become a legitimate big-league starter for Milwaukee.
I've got today off, possibly my last day off until the Nationals' season ends (whenever that is). Chase Hughes is covering on my behalf, though, so look for his game updates here and the day's other news on the homepage. I'll talk to you all tomorrow from Philadelphia…
MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?