Game 153: Brewers at Nats

Sep 24, 2012, 2:00 PM EST

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats a win today to salvage a series split with the Brewers.

Their lead in the NL East is down to 4 1/2 games, so should the Nationals be worried? Well, much as they'd like to still lead the Braves by 7 or 8 games, they're still in a commanding position heading down the stretch. If the Nats merely go 5-5 the rest of the way, Atlanta would have to go 9-0 just to force a one-game tiebreaker for the division title. Even if the Nats completely fall apart and go 3-7, the Braves would need to go 7-2 to force that extra game. Still seems unlikely.

The Nationals, of course, do need to win a few more games to wrap this thing up, and they'd certainly love to move step closer today with a victory in their series finale against the Brewers (who are trying to hang on in the Wild Card race but still trail the Cardinals by 2 1/2 games for that final postseason berth).

Wisconsin native Jordan Zimmermann is the starter for this Monday matinee. He'll face a former National in Marco Estrada, who in case anyone forgot posted a 7.20 ERA in 15 appearances (all but one out of the bullpen) for Washington in 2008 and 2009 but has since become a legitimate big-league starter for Milwaukee.

I've got today off, possibly my last day off until the Nationals' season ends (whenever that is). Chase Hughes is covering on my behalf, though, so look for his game updates here and the day's other news on the homepage. I'll talk to you all tomorrow from Philadelphia…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM

2. LoveDaNats - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Getting ready to leave for the stadium with 3 of my girlfriends. Girls day at Nats Park! OK, closer to middle-aged ladies day, but whatever. Go Nats! Jordan, throw the game of your life and Estrada…….throw like your old Nat self.

3. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Enjoy the day off, Mark. Please, Nats bats, be alive today. Pleasepleaseplease. ANd may Jordan pitch a spelndid game, long into things, so we rest the bullpen. GYFNG!

4. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Don't worry, Mark. We promise to behave while you're off today. (Okay, who's bringing the boombox? Yes, I did just show my age.) :-)Have fun at the park, ladies! Will be finishing up my work early so as to watch on tv.Go, JZ! Go, NATS BATS! Go, BLUE BLOCKERS!! Go behind the clouds, SUN!! (Well, at least in the top half of the inning.)

5. Oldguy - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM

The baseball gods have been very kind to us this year. They must have all gotten drunk Saturday night and had a hangover yesterday–they were sure in a foul mood. Orioles have the bases loaded with one out in the ninth and can't score. Dodgers finally look like a team when it's probably too late. And then there's that playing around with the clouds in DC. Etc. etc.Whatever happens, we have had a hell of a run.

6. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Oldguy, I did wonder whether they'd gone out and celebrated Gio's 20th win. ;-)

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I just wanted to give you all some recent history for those complaining about the Nats.The 2006 World Series Champs were the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals finished the 2006 regular season with a 3-9 record and 83-78 to win the NL Central.Great managers seem to get the most of their teams in the post-season and sometimes the end of the regular season focus changes. No matter what happens, the Nats are in the post-season. Yes, we would all like to see the Nats win the next 6 games and secure the Division quickly.

8. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Haven't read comments for several days but expressing concern isn't the same as complaining, imho.

9. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

And thanks for history lesson, but I'm aware of what the Cards did in 2006. Not that I expect it, but I'm also aware of what the Phillies did last season. ;-)

10. Doc - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

So Marco Estrada, eh. Is Mike Rizzo starting to supply MLB with used Nats' pitchers? More to come, no doubt. Only native Cheese Head in the game is pitchin' for us!GoooooooooJZim!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GoooooooooNats!!!

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

MicheleS said… Cough, Cough, Cough.. Sorry boss, not feeling well at all, I think I am going to go home…(Actually, he knows I will be at the game today.)GO JORDAN! GYFNG! Get some runs.. Clouds over the sun only when the Nats are in the field.Is there anyway we can summon an eclipse? September 24, 2012 10:03 AM I heard I missed a heck of a party in RF with the Legion of BOOM! You and NatsJack, Swift, Gonat, Andrew, Joe S. and others!My guess is you were the best baseball mind of the bunch!

12. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

May Jordan throw nothing but strikes early and often. Keep his pitch count 14 or less per inning.May the Nats bats provide runs in crooked numbers several times today.And MicheleS…..I'll be watching on TV later today when I sneak out of the office at 12:30.Cheer extra loud for me today.

13. Melissa Rabey - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I'm off to the ballpark shortly to take in the game–my last one at Nats Park this year. So I'm hoping for a win today from Jordan! Go Nats!!!!

14. Feel Wood - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

15. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Ghost….Swift wanted to be there but wasn't. But it s was still a heckuva party.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Ghost….Swift wanted to be there but wasn't. But it s was still a heckuva party. Swift is the leader of the Legion of BOOM! Are you traveling to Washington for any of the playoffs or just the WS?

17. RickH - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

We're having a company outing at the game today, with some of our clients. Let's have a win!!!

18. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It's possible Ghost…..But it would be a "spur of the moment thing". Not something I can plan on at this stage.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

NatsJack, I hear you. Hard to do right now when the game dates aren't set yet. I'm in the same boat. Easier to travel to SFG or StL.

20. peric - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Its still basically about getting the bullpen set up since there will only be 4 starters according to Davey. I don't know if he's eligible but I think Zach Duke would make a nice addition. Seems like he has almost replaced Gorzo of late? Garcia gets H-Rod's 60-day DL slot … they need to figure out what's up with Clippard and Burnett before October.It looks like Ghost was right about Lannan … except not in the playoffs against Atlanta. Looks like he'll be pressed into service against the Phillies twice and will bypass the Cardinals. CMW will pitch one of those along with EJax and JZimnn.

21. mick - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

May have to take off work and hit the ball park…. time for my Fred G Sanford excuse #116"You see, I can’t work today, on account of my Arthritis"

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I see Morse is out today.

23. JD - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

No chance Lannan is on the playoff roster; zero.it'l probably be Gio, Zim and Det in the 1st 3 games regardless who we play.

24. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

It'll be good to rest Morse and his wrists, and give Bernie some at bats.

25. smurff - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Hanging in left field watching BP before heading up to Sec 209. First time in the Club level. Go Nats!!

26. smurff - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM

27. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM

So according to Chase's twitter Garcia will be converted to starter next year!

28. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Davey is also going for it in Philly. Det LannEn Gio to start

29. BigCat - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Need a Zim shutout today to ease everybody's mind

30. peric - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I'll wait for verification from Davey and the other beat reporters on Garcia converting to a starter. Makes no sense given the dearth of relievers.

31. PChuck - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Garcia has already had TWO Tommy John surgeries. Trying to make him a starter is a TERRIBLE idea!If these are the kind of ideas that Davey's coming up with, hopefully he's not here next season.

32. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

See via MLBTradeRumors that Jake Peavy likely to be a FA this year. That's a pickup I would endorse.

33. hiramhover - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Re: GarciaThis is more Rizzo's call than Davey's, and it's not one he's going to make now.So I humbly suggest that we postpone worrying about next year until next year. Or at least until the off season. GYFNG!

34. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM

You have my vote on that, hhover. :-)"So I humbly suggest that we postpone worrying about next year until next year. Or at least until the off season."

35. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Peric. Kolko's twitter had it about Garcia as well

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Best I can see on the Garcia talk is that its a possibility of making him into a starter.

37. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sorry to disagree w/ Peric (and it's sometimes dangerous) but I think there's a dearth of starters, not relievers. No Jackson next year, most of you think Lannan is gone, and no one behind them — with the possible exception of Perry — to ascend to the No. 5 role. If in fact they want to make Garcia a starter, my guess is he would start the season in Syracuse or H'burg, get acclimated to the job, and come up as a mid-season/injury replacement. Garcia in my mind has more potential than Perry. Two TJs is not a disqualifier. Capuano has had two, and doesn't have nearly as live an arm as Garcia. Jose Rijo, I heard, had five. Maybe what Garcia needs to do is cut down on the number of sliders. If he didn't take to starting, they could always move him back to the pen.I'm not saying I endorse this idea but it shouldn't be ruled out. Because I think each of us, right now, could name at least eight guys (including Garcia and five other right-handers — unfortunately, H. Rodriguez is one) who have earned or are guaranteed spots in next year's BP.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Chase just wrote a new post which covers Garcia who also hurt his bicep pitching Saturday.

39. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I have got to stop going into the team store. Its bad for my wallet!Jane i was able to get a few pictures of Livo, Gio and Stras. Will post later.

40. NatsLady - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Michele, don't carry cash. I got bit for a jacket on Half-Street yesterday. Well, gonna need that jacket, right?

41. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Hurrah MichelleS! I can't wait to see them. How do I find you on twitter?I'm better off if I take cash to the stadium. They take a card everywhere except in the seats. And once I make it to the seats, I rarely leave.GO NATS!

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

MicheleS, where do you post your pix

43. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I took them with the regular camera. Will post link tonight.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Please stop swinging at 3-0 pitches.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

According to FP 68-19 when Nats score first.

46. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Umm. Ball is flying today.

47. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

JZim lately seems to be going with almost all fastballs.

48. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

How bad is the stike zone today. Both dugouts are chirping

49. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

If the Nats merely go 5-5 the rest of the way that would make them 12-12, a .500 team, since Strasburg was shut down. Just sayin'.Just sayin' what?Nats were 1-2 (.333) over the last three games Strasburg pitched. Stasburg had an ERA of 6.43 in his last three starts.Just sayin' ;-)

50. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Strike zone is for cr-p for both teams but worse for JZim.

51. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

PChuck said…If these are the kind of ideas that Davey's coming up with, hopefully he's not here next season.Yep — Davey's got quite a track record. Consider: he stuck with Desi and Espi during their slumps. Morse, too. How'd that turn out? Oh, wait — tied for the best record in baseball so far?OK, well, what about Davey's past? At (or 2d) highest winning PCT of any active manager?Clearly — you must be a fan of a team that competes against the Nats, and you fear Davey's return! ;-)

52. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Well, what do you expect with replacement umps? Oh, wait, that was that other sport.Hey, what's going on here! ;-)

53. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

54. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thanks,Wonk. You pretty much posted what I was thinking.

55. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thanks gonat.Can't get a read on it down the 3b line.

56. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Marvin Hudson is so bad that the 2-0 pitch to Werth was many inches off the zone and called a strike.This guy needs to go to AAA.

57. Steady Eddie - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Michele, from what you can tell on Gameday (I know, not accurate, but at least the locations should be relatively consistent among themselves. I hope), it's not only bad but inconsistent. Outside corner strike by JZimm to Weeks in the third called a ball at the exact same outside placement (just a little lower down) that two pitches earlier was called a strike. Then a makeup call on a pitch just outside the zone called a strike. No wonder JZimm threw only one pitch to the outside corner to Braun. (Of course that could be his hot zone to keep away from, though McCatty said they don't look at that so much but pitch to their own strengths. Of course, that may be half BS, at least with Braun. Of course, Braun's hot zone may be anywhere he can reach right now.)Also, he was throwing mostly four seamers in the first inning but by the third he was favoring the slider (high 80s) much more, and going to the heater only maybe a third of the time or less. Looks like he's searching for a rhythm.

58. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Please stop swinging at 3-0 pitches. September 24, 2012 1:26 PM ______________________________That's twice for LaRoche and 2 popups.

59. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

60. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

2:07 p.m. — No score through the third as the Nationals left a few stranded. Jordan Zimmermann got them started with a single to left and Jayson Werth joined him on base with another one. A Harper flyout, Zimmerman strikeout, and LaRoche popout left them without something to show for it as it remains 1-1 going into the fourth inning. Estrada is at 50 (29).___________________________________Better check again, its a 1-1 game.

61. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Joe Seamhead said… Brewers manager Ron Roenicke on Jayson Werth as a leadoff hitter:“You look at their lineup, you look at what Werth is doing. I know he’s a scary hitter because he can drive the ball, but he’s got like a .395 on-base percentage. If you go through the league and look at lead-off men, there aren’t that many guys that can do that. He’s doing that and driving the ball with power. That’s really good.”Gee, other team's manager sees what some of NIers can't see. A good example of a reason why some of our bloggers aren't managers. September 24, 2012 2:09 PM ______________________________________Some idiot on here over the weekend was crowing that Werth had no power. They will complain about anything.

62. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

63. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Took lunch a little late and listened to an hour of Charlie and Dave. Sounds like Marvin Hudson is continuing his audition to be an NFL replacement ref. Ugh. I'd love for a reporter to really dig into how MLB evaluates its umps and uses that information. Once again, Harper's hustle leads to a run. In the off season, I think I'll take a look at all of his runs scored and try to assess how many of them resulted from his hustle. That wouldn't include runs scored by others where he kept the inning alive by beating out an infield hit. He just seems to have an uncanny ability to take advantage of any opponent's weakness to score. So much fun to watch.JZnn hasn't been great, but he's allowed only a run in four innings. Keep it up guy. We need you to be strong in the postseason.

64. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Getting hard to buy a run here.

65. Steady Eddie - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

For those watching on TV or at the game, is Estrada getting a lot of late movement on his pitches? Because, boy, a lot of swings on pitches nowhere near the plate.Also, did Danny just make a bad decision on the Shark grounder or Hart make a good play? Or both?Lousy trade of a runner on third for one on first, though a ball hit to the right side should get a runner home.

66. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

67. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

JZ: if the rest of you guys can't drive in runs, I'll have to do it myself! ;-)

68. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Sad that the first RBI for the Nats today is from the pitcher.

69. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Swift Eagle said… Contact play was on, most managers would do that in the 4th inning, an aggressive play, but probably the correct one…But Jordan just picked up another RBI!! September 24, 2012 2:25 PM ____________________________________Its the right play but poor situational contact once again.Bernadina got himself in a 0-2 hole quickly.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM

It's great that least one Nat hitter wants to provide Zimm with some consistent hitting.

71. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM

KARMA!!!

72. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Oh my, the Nats finally get a break.

73. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM

So it's not just the Nats. Thank you Sun.

74. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The sun finally pays us back!!!!!

75. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM

At long last, the bright star that is the center of our Solar System has decided to torture another team's outfield instead of the Nats…

76. Steady Eddie - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Gonat, didn't they score all three runs against the Dodgers in JZimm's last game without an RBI hit? They all count the same no matter how they came in. JZimm might not be a bad extra inning PH in the playoffs the game after he's pitched…So now you don't have to feel so sad with Werth bringing in two more.

77. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Estrada is rattled.

78. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

You always hope that "lost in the sun" will even itself in the long run.It's to see it happen in the short run!!

79. Steady Eddie - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Sounds like karma paying Werth back after yesterday.

80. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM

If they want free Oakley's, FP and Ray Knight better not hold their breath…

81. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Steady Eddie, you take 'em as you can get 'em as they say but the fact is that LaRoche has had 2 opportunities with men on and swung at two 3-0 counts and popped them up.

82. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

BOOM!!! Ryan makes it 7-1!!

83. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Gonat said… Estrada is rattled. September 24, 2012 2:30 PM __________________________________TOLD YOU

84. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Since the cortisone shot, Ryan has been the best player in the NL…Look it up

85. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Another ex Nats pitcher helping us out! ZIM GOES BOOM!

86. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

OK…this constitutes a pretty good crooked number.

87. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Gonat, are you really complaining about the guy who leads the team in RBIs? And you know why he does, probably by swinging away in favorable counts.

88. blovy8 - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The Nats right handed starters are all good hitters. Even Stammen has good atbats.

89. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Oh baby!

90. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The Legion of BOOM

91. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Gonat, I didn't like the results either, but the two 3-0 swings by LaRoche were great pitches to hit…The way he's been swinging, I like him going after those…

92. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM

wow . . . so how many runs did the sun end up costing 'em? how many runs did we get with two outs this inning!wow.karma indeed!I can exhale for a bit!

93. Smatt1001 - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Zim's second three-run homer in three days!! And ALR's popup prevents a repeat of Saturday

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Holy spit!!!!

95. A DC Wonk - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Gonat — I know that LaRoche has at least one home run this year swinging on a 3-0 count.Typically, the guy who bats clean up, and a guy with 30+ home runs is exactly one of the few guys who gets a green light on 3-0, no?

96. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

How awesome is it that they got the convertible park sunshield designed, built, and set up before the game?

97. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Zimm has 24 HR and 92 RBIs on the year. Had he not missed time and played hurt for some games, I think he would be a better MVP candidate than ALR at least.

98. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Wassup with Adam LaRoche today? Back shoulder dropping again.

99. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Honestly, Nats Park appears to be the worst Sun/Shadow ballpark I've ever seen…How did that happen?The poor outfielders appear to be totally helpless on these flyballs

100. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Werth just did a smart thing in RF the way he stepped to his left to make the play in the sun. In other words he had his left shoulder pointed slightly towards home. It helps to see the ball in the sun as you're not looking directly into it.

101. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Keep your foot on their throats, boys, because these guys can score runs. (Well, maybe you can let up a bit if Livo comes in and gives up a few. Love you, Livo. :-))

102. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM

103. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You're right Joe, but Werth was still fighting the sun until the last moment…It looks miserable for OFs out there

104. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Look at the pitchers shadow on the mound. The cf sun has to be brutal.

105. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Not joking, I really think Lombo lost a GROUND BALL in the shadows yesterday!Late in the game yesterday, there were approx. 20 different shadows in the infield from the stands, lights, poles, etc…Total nightmare

106. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Excuse me. Evidently my laptop has the hiccups.

107. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM

A steal up 6? I love it, but somewhere Jamie Quirk is probably upset

108. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Just hand Desi the Silver Slugger now!

109. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Wow…did I just see Danny cut down his swing and take an outside pitch the opposite way for a base hit?Don't give up on him yet…

110. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Marvin Hudson SUCKS

111. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Bob U on the radio call for Mil thinks Ian was safe too!

112. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM

The rout is ON

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM

You can't do that Marvin. it really wasn't that close on Desi

114. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM

replay shows he was safe. That guy Suzuki ( the one I like) makes it not matter.

115. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Wow, may need to go to the pen to replace Bo Porter, his arm must be tired after waving all these guys in…

116. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I was tempted to start a "We went Livo" chant when MIL went to the 'pen yesterday, but didn't. It could work here. :-)

117. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

1A. Has your computer been drinking the Nats koolaid?

118. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Uh, we "want."

119. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Some serious " Jamm- age" by Suzuki. As in his walk up song, Bob Marly's Jammin'

120. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I only spilled the teensiest bit on it, Michele. Heh.

121. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

NatsJack, there is a Suzuki you don't like?

122. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

They were playing a Marley CD at the pet store the other day before the game. Maybe it was a sign, just a day early.

123. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Marely at a Pet Store! Now that's cool…

124. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Faraz….. big sumo wrestler size kid I had to wrestle in gym class in 1962.

125. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM

The rastah hounds like it. :-)

126. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

does not sound fun, NatsJack. :)Nats only lead by eight, thanks to HP umpire.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Jamie Quirk is still yelling at his TV.

128. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Jamie Q. can go F. himself. Until that magic number is 0, it's pedal to the metal, boots on their throats, playing 110%, and every other cliche' you can think of. This team didn't endure 100 loss seasons and league-wide ridicule to be satisfied with Ms. Congeniality awards.

129. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

As noted, I'm behind in comment reading. Why do we care what Jamie Quirk thinks?

130. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I believe Jamie is the coach who took objection to Nats stealing when they were up by five or six runs in 6th inning of a Nats-Cubs game.

131. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

As the Nats pile it on, Ghost was cleverly invoking Jamie Quirk, who was the Cards coach who went after Bo Porter for Werth swinging away on a 3-0 pitch. Bo said, among the things that could be quoted on a family blog, "That's the way we play" — which I still would love to see on a T-Shirt.

132. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Thanks, guys. I was out of town from that game through the last FLA series here and didn't see the games (probably just as well on the FLA series).

133. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The Quirk will forever be a part of he Nats 2012 history and get the 1-Tool award for being the biggest tool.

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM

JZim gets to start the 7th. Curious move.

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

What a great start by JZim!!! I like where Davey yanked him with Nyjer steppin in.

136. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Nice start from Jordan…Won't it be great in a couple years when no of us will know or care about the pitch count/innings count for Jordan and Stephen??Can't wait to just watch them pitch…

137. Steady Eddie - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Ghost — yeah, LOVED that Davey chased Nyjer out of the game without his having really entered it by bringing in Burny.

138. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I've posted this before, but I think playoff Games 1 and 2 are actually going to help the Nats.The first playoff game in DC is going to be surrounded by a lot of hoopla and distractions, which would be even worse if it were Game 1…That would be a tough one to win…Often the home team in Game 1 "tries to do too much" which Davey says has been a problem all year..Can you imagine how many swings for the fences the Nats would take in a home Game 1?

139. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Swift, I only hope the Nats don't come back from SF trailing 2-0, adding immeasurably to the pressure of that first playoff game in DC.

140. Secret wasian man - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Just got home. WHoo Hoo go Nats. Good point Swift. But Bud Selig is a Moron with this playoff setup.

141. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Agree Sec 222…Which is why they really need to get the Z and avoid a first round v. San Fran..Cain and Bumgartner in Games 1 and 2 at that ballpark? Yeah, that would be tough

142. SFNats - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Bud Selig is a moron regardless of the playoff setup.

143. Swift Eagle - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yes, SWM, this year's setup is stupid…But I remember many home Game 1s that the Caps lost b/c they were trying to make the spectacular play to excite the fabulous crowd, while the visitors just played playoff hockey…I could see the young Nats being similar

144. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

We will not be denied in the first round. Period. Call in the dogs, sell the farm, go to your bookie, and put it all inthe Nats.

145. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Clippard in the 8th; this'll be interestin'.

146. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Moore looking competent on another fly ball. So much improvement this summer.

147. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

And put it all on the Nats

148. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

High and tight FB is back.

149. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

JoeS, I've already sold the farm for all those playoff tickets I bought!

150. SCNatsFan - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

God I wish Clip would throw more first pitch strikes.Good effort from the boys today.

151. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Clip looking comfortable out there. McCatty had interesting comments about Clip in the pre-game to Charlie & Dave.

152. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Section 222 said… JoeS, I've already sold the farm for all those playoff tickets I bought! September 24, 2012 3:56 PM _____________________________I got more tickets today in a non-descript envelope address fro Texarcana (sp?)

153. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

OK, a blooper and then a Aramis liner. That stinks.

154. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I've really come to dislike that particular ditty on the organ. :-)

155. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

(The mound visit vamp.)

156. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Still can't find the plate.

157. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

That dude with the bills stuck all over him is creepy.

158. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

1a……nowhere near as creepy as the guy with the porn mustache hanging around those kids clubhouse.

159. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM

160. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Here we go in the Eury Perez era! Go Eury!

161. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM

That better be a hit because that's what speed does for you! Batting 1.000

162. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Take that Nyjer Morgan!

163. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

That was a good move by Johnson to put Clippard in. Let him work on getting rid of some ghosts.Hey, Mark DeRosa can still dive back. Congrats to Perez. That's a hit. Bad call by the official scorer. Did you all see Perez fly?

164. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

True on the other commercial, NatsJack.What? Not a hit?

165. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The Nats official scorer is as bad as Marvin Hudson.

166. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Maybe the sun was in his eyes.

167. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Okay, they changed it.

168. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Nats Jack, he's not " bad." He's in a slump. he'll be finek.Again, did you see Perez fly around the bases? Wow!

169. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I'm especially happy for Eury. Wish that ump had let you have your moment. And that Dude with the bills on him IS creepy, He means well but he is majorly creepy. He is near our section often. May the Sun Monster whack the Phillies Thursday afternoon. Far as I am concerned, he still got more bites out of our guys than he got out of our opponents.

170. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Kid getting some love on the bench. That's nice.

171. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… I hate to say it but relievers who need 28 pitches to get through an inning are usually called "bad". September 24, 2012 4:08 PM __________________________________He's typically 17 to 22 a good inning. That doinker by Ryan Braun is played shallower against any other oppo hitter and caught by the RF.

172. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… The Nats official scorer is as bad as Marvin Hudson. September 24, 2012 4:11 PM _______________________________LMAO. You knew that one was changing. SPEED KILLS

173. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

174. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Damn iPad. He'll be fine,Jack.I'd like to figure a way to get Perez more playing time.

175. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM

93 RBIs for RZim and counting. That needs a Cortisone shot for everyone!Ian Desmond with 5 walks in 4 games. Who woulda thunk that?

176. Gonat - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… I know Gonat. The 17 – 22 number for a good inning is playing with fire, though. September 24, 2012 4:16 PM ______________________________________It is like an inning and a 1/2 when you look at arm stress so his innings count is misleading though McCatty said that isn't the case.

177. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Livo sighting.

178. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Plus I'm happy for Desi being a 20/20 guy, which I think I heard Dave and Charlie say had happened today.

179. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I noticed at the weekend games that Livo didn't head into the 'pen until the third inning or so. Was wondering whether he might be doing some throwing inside before heading out there, as much as he threw before games as a starter. He didn't seem to throw many in the 'pen before coming in on Saturday. (I was fine with the results, of course. Love ya, Livo. :-))

180. MicheleS - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Phone is dying someone take over for Me. Tou know what to do ;-)

181. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I'm on it, Michele. :-)

182. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Last Thursday nite Matteus gave up a hit in a scoreless 8th and Stoten struck out the side in the 9th and both threw 13 pitches.That's what I like.

183. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Okay, Drew, let you imagination go wild. It's a 2-1 game in the 9th. Put 'em down!

184. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Desi wants to see Chad's Gio impression. :-)

185. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Not enough adrenaline rush for Drew.

186. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Druuuu

187. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

A Des-Pinosa double play!

188. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

189. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Per Michele's request, a nice, big Magic Number-reducing Woo hoo!

190. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I love Clipp. I totally am in the tank for him. AND I want Drew to close. He's back, and I'm thrilled.5! 5! 5! 5! Lots of cookies for the dogs! I hear you from here, MichelleS!GYFNG!!!!!!

191. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

13 pitch inning….love it. WHOOOOO HOOOOO!

192. Joe Seamhead - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

GYFNG!!!

193. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Wow, that was fast on the counter!

194. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I know! I've been wondering about the counter! Is it on automatic, or dose a human change it?

195. SFNats - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Clinching the division for the first time ever: GoodClinching the division in Philly: Even better

196. JaneB - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I have to agree with you, SFNats.

197. Section 222 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

It would be quite a feat to design a Magic Number that automatically changes when the Nats win or the Braves lose.

198. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Not to blow my own horn or claim my own first-dom, but I made a similar observation on September 11. Not an easy task, but it would be sweet to clinch there. :-)

199. Mark Zuckerman - Sep 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Natsfan1a, JaneB and Section 222: I wish I knew how to design an automated Magic Number counter. I could probably make a pretty penny off such an app!In the meantime, I just stand by the ready and change the number manually as soon as the game ends. :)

200. natsfan1a - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thanks, Mark, and on your off day, even. :-)