Sep 24, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
|Photo by AP|
Game in a nutshell: With the Braves off for the day, the Nationals came into Monday with a chance to create some separation. The game was tied at one until the fourth inning when the Nationals exploded with six runs. They then added two in the fifth inning off a two-RBI double by Kurt Suzuki to go up 9-1. Three more runs scored in the bottom of the eighth completed the 12-run day. Jordan Zimmermann pitched in with two hits and an RBI along with 6 2/3 innings with just one earned run allowed.
Hitting highlight: The Nationals blew the game open thanks to some two-out hitting in the fourth inning. Roger Bernadina started the rally by reaching first on a fielder’s choice. He was then moved to second on a Kurt Suzuki single. Zimmermann scored Bernadina on his second hit of the day and then both the pitcher and catcher came home on a fly ball to center by Jayson Werth. Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez lost the ball in the sun and disaster for Milwaukee ensued. Bryce Harper joined Werth on base with a walk and then both were batted in on a three-run homer by Ryan Zimmerman, his 24th of the season.
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate