Sep 24, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
|Photo by AP|
Game in a nutshell: With the Braves off for the day, the Nationals came into Monday with a chance to create some separation. The game was tied at one until the fourth inning when the Nationals exploded with six runs. They then added two in the fifth inning off a two-RBI double by Kurt Suzuki to go up 9-1. Three more runs scored in the bottom of the eighth completed the 12-run day. Jordan Zimmermann pitched in with two hits and an RBI along with 6 2/3 innings with just one earned run allowed.
Hitting highlight: The Nationals blew the game open thanks to some two-out hitting in the fourth inning. Roger Bernadina started the rally by reaching first on a fielder’s choice. He was then moved to second on a Kurt Suzuki single. Zimmermann scored Bernadina on his second hit of the day and then both the pitcher and catcher came home on a fly ball to center by Jayson Werth. Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez lost the ball in the sun and disaster for Milwaukee ensued. Bryce Harper joined Werth on base with a walk and then both were batted in on a three-run homer by Ryan Zimmerman, his 24th of the season.
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter