Sep 25, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond could become only the seventh shortstop ever in the 20-20-.300 club.
In this age of deflated power numbers and de-emphasized baserunning, it's no small feat when a major leaguer pulls off a 20-20 combo in a single season: 20 home runs, 20 stolen bases.
So Ian Desmond should feel quite proud of himself this morning as the newest member of the 20-20 club, one that features only seven current members: Desmond, Ryan Braun, Mike Trout, B.J. Upton, Alex Rios, Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Gonzalez.
Desmond is only the second Nationals player ever to pull off the 20-20 combo, the bar having previously been set ridiculously high by Alfonso Soriano, who in 2006 hit 46 homers and stole 41 bases.
This from a guy who entered the season with perhaps as much pressure on him as anybody on the Nationals roster, a guy who had never hitRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent