Sep 25, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Cole Hamels in the opener of a big series at Citizens Bank Park.
PHILADELPHIA — Davey Johnson specifically wanted as many left-handers to face the Phillies over the next three nights as possible, so he reconfigured his rotation to ensure he'd have just that. Ross Detwiler starts tonight's opener at Citizens Bank Park, with John Lannan tomorrow and Gio Gonzalez on Thursday.
Whether that strategy pays off in the end remains to be seen, but Johnson certainly has to like the chances of Detwiler turning in a solid performance tonight. He's already 2-0 with a 1.88 ERA in four starts this month, the last two coming against playoff contenders (the Braves and Dodgers). Also, in two starts against the Phillies the last two seasons, Detwiler is 2-0 having tossed 14 1/3 scoreless innings while surrendering only three hits.
Cole Hamels is on the mound for the Phillies, and he's had plenty of success against the Nationals this year (2-1, 1.17 ERA in three starts) in spite of one particular incident with Bryce Harper back in May.
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"