Sep 25, 2012, 7:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Cole Hamels in the opener of a big series at Citizens Bank Park.
PHILADELPHIA — Davey Johnson specifically wanted as many left-handers to face the Phillies over the next three nights as possible, so he reconfigured his rotation to ensure he'd have just that. Ross Detwiler starts tonight's opener at Citizens Bank Park, with John Lannan tomorrow and Gio Gonzalez on Thursday.
Whether that strategy pays off in the end remains to be seen, but Johnson certainly has to like the chances of Detwiler turning in a solid performance tonight. He's already 2-0 with a 1.88 ERA in four starts this month, the last two coming against playoff contenders (the Braves and Dodgers). Also, in two starts against the Phillies the last two seasons, Detwiler is 2-0 having tossed 14 1/3 scoreless innings while surrendering only three hits.
Cole Hamels is on the mound for the Phillies, and he's had plenty of success against the Nationals this year (2-1, 1.17 ERA in three starts) in spite of one particular incident with Bryce Harper back in May.
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett