Game 154: Nats at Phillies

Sep 25, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Cole Hamels in the opener of a big series at Citizens Bank Park.

PHILADELPHIA — Davey Johnson specifically wanted as many left-handers to face the Phillies over the next three nights as possible, so he reconfigured his rotation to ensure he'd have just that. Ross Detwiler starts tonight's opener at Citizens Bank Park, with John Lannan tomorrow and Gio Gonzalez on Thursday.

Whether that strategy pays off in the end remains to be seen, but Johnson certainly has to like the chances of Detwiler turning in a solid performance tonight. He's already 2-0 with a 1.88 ERA in four starts this month, the last two coming against playoff contenders (the Braves and Dodgers). Also, in two starts against the Phillies the last two seasons, Detwiler is 2-0 having tossed 14 1/3 scoreless innings while surrendering only three hits.

Cole Hamels is on the mound for the Phillies, and he's had plenty of success against the Nationals this year (2-1, 1.17 ERA in three starts) in spite of one particular incident with Bryce Harper back in May.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM

GO DET!! GYFNG! Step on the Phillies throats boys!

2. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I would almost say, put a fork in the Phillies. The Phillies had forks sticking out of them quite some time ago. It was only a matter of time. But it will be extra sweet if the actual coup de grace is administered by the Nats. showComment=1347289445954#c1504510092699282769

3. whatsanattau - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yes, fork the Phillies.(sorry)

4. Doc - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Now that the Philthies are down and on the ground, we need to stomp on them until the Division Title is ours!!!!!

5. Tcostant - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Morse is back – good news.

6. smurff - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I seem to recall Mr Werth making a comment after his injury concerning the Phillies. Something along the lines of 'making sure they never celebrate another Championship".Now's a good time to start making that happen.

7. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Here's Werth's comment, and the context, as reported by a Phillies blog. I think he later apologized for what he said, though I hope he takes great satisfaction from driving a nail or two in their coffin over the next few days. Several commenters said things like: "Who cares about Werth, we upgraded to Pence." Yeah, how'd that work out for ya?

8. Steady Eddie - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Slight correction, Mark: Hamels is NOT 3-0 against us this year. See at http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_02_phimlb_wasmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=was (sorry for my minimal HTML skills), the box score for the August 2 game reads: Nats 3, Phillies 0, W:Detwiler (6-4)L:Hamels (11-6).

9. natsfan1a - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I have no problem with that, whatsa. As someone once said, when you come to a fork in the road, take it. (What, what?) ;-)Indeed, 222, I think he mentioned having been in pain and a medication-induced haze at the time of the comments. Also, I believe that the comments were directed at the phans' reaction to his injury rather than at the team (cough…bulletin board material). :-)Go, DET! Go, NATS BATS!!

10. baseballswami - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

No reason why the better team should not win. The Nats are clearly the better team.

11. Steady Eddie - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Upon further research, Hamels is 2-1 against us this year. His two wins came as the only Phils wins in each of the two May series; his loss came on August 2 as abovel; he didn't pitch against us in the late August series.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

9 games left!

13. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I'd sure love to see Harper hit his 20th dinger against Colbert tonight.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Braves clinch Wild Card with 1 win or Losses both the Brewers and the Dodgers

15. natsfan1a - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I'd like to see him steal home. It would be so old school and prestigious. :-)

16. ehay2k - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Steady Eddie, I'm not sure, but you might actually owe yourself a coke!Detwiler did indeed get the win over Hamels. I'm sure Hamels will plunk him for it today. In fact, there is a decent chance the Philthies will try to start something this series, especially if they are eliminated. I say that because they are cowards and because they know the Nats can't afford any suspensions. GYFNG!! And yes, GYFFG!! as well. (Need to wash my hands after typing that one.)

17. Steady Eddie - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

ehay2k — I'll may sure to collect on that transaction!After the Braves and Brewers series, I can hardly wait to see who's umping this one. Have we been blessed with Angel Hernandez lately?

18. Joe Seamhead - Sep 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Personally, I'd like to see Bryce bunt up the first base line, laying it down so as only Colbert can field it, but also in such a way that Bryce can run Colbert's butt over. I have always contended that was why the Kid bunted in his next at bat after Hamels plucked him. He just didn't get it down close enough to the baseline.

19. natsfan1a - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

MLB Network has Cliff Lee, who they just showed throwing, starting tonight. Has there been a change, or are they confused?

20. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM

he can't possibly be starting. He started sunday I believe.

21. natsfan1a - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yes, I just realized that, so they must be confused.

22. Steady Eddie - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM

1a — they're definitely confused. Lee started and lost 2-1 to the Braves on Sunday. That's why we don't face him this series.

23. slidell2 - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

24. Feel Wood - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM

slidell2 said… This may be a stupid question, but what was the thinking behind using BOTH Clip and Storen in yesterday's laugher?Both of them needed the work. Clippard hadn't pitched since Friday, Storen since Wednesday.

25. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM

slidell2, the thinking was probably to not let them get too rusty since Clip hadn't pitched since his meltdown on Friday and Storen hadn't pitched since his save on Thursday.

26. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM

It's been a particularly busy 10-12 days for me, so I haven't been posting much (perhaps to everyone's relief). But I have managed to watch all of the Nats' games (mostly in replay, and — naturally — fast-forwarding at times). In any event, a few pre-game thoughts:– Obviously, the Nats have suffered some hiccups over the past 10 games. They've been hurt by a couple of bad calls, a few too many bad pitches, and some failures to score against a couple of pitchers who appeared hittable. But no team (with the possible exception of the Yankees) is playing anything like flawless baseball these past 10-15 days; there's simply no juggernaut team (and that includes the Yankees) out there as baseball heads into the playoffs. — I'm satisfied that the Nats can and will win (on average) at least one game in each of the last three series, and that the Braves will lose at least two of their final nine games; in other words, I'm not worried about the division championship.– But the more I've thought about it, the more I would almost prefer the Nats entering the NL playoffs as the second seed. Having the 'best record in baseball' is a nice honorific, but it doesn't get you anything except having to play your first two playoff games on the road. The whole 'wild card winner = initial home field advantage' just spooks me. I would much rather see the Nats play San Francisco in a traditional 2-2-1 series, than have to face either the Braves or the Cardinals (or the Brewers or the Dodgers) in their home parks immediately after they've just won the play-in game. I know this scenario gives up home field advantage for the NLCS (assuming Cincinnati wins the NLDS), but that's a seven-game series and I'm much more comfortable with the Nats' odds in that scenario.– Having said that, the Nats who are on the field should (and, I'm sure, will) play to win all of their remaining games. I can't imagine them doing otherwise. But if Davey Johnson opts to rest his starting position players in those last couple of games, he'll get no grief from me. Once the division is wrapped up, start getting ready for the season to reset and, for all intents and purposes, start all over again.GYFNG!

27. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Well Feel, I'd owe you a beer/coke, except Storen pitched on Thursday. :-)

28. Section 222 - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Great analysis, Eugene, except that both NLDS series are 2-3, rather than 2-2-1. So if the Nats are the the No. 2 seed, they'll head to SF for the first two games. I'm still pulling for the No. 1 seed so we would start the NLCS, and play more games, in Nats Park rather than than bandbox they call a Ball Park in Cincinnati. But there's not doubt there are some disadvantages, like not knowing who your opponent will be on Sunday until late Friday night.

29. bowdenball - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Eugene in Oregon said…"I would much rather see the Nats play San Francisco in a traditional 2-2-1 series"Both division series follow the 2-3 format this year.

30. baseballswami - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM

There are quite a few teams who think our 5 game lead looks like a walk in the park. I heard someone say about the dreaded Yankees today that it was better for them to be battling all the way because it was good to be in playoff mode all the way instead of letting down. I tend to think that is true of the nats – I want them to clinch because I want the relief of it being over. But we clearly don't want them ramping down too much. Look at Storen yesterday – he seemed to have difficulty getting going without the huge jolt of adrenaline. I certainly hope they have a post-season mind set tonight. I just don't want to see another sloppy game.

31. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I can't believe there are only 9 regular season games left.

32. NCNatsie - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM

True, Michellle. And this is game 154 tonight. That used to be all the games.

33. SCNatsFan - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM

For the dozen or so posters who are hoping the Nats fall apart and lose the division I look forward to this team dissappointing you. If you are a "Nats Fan" and aren't enjoying this right now, worried about the team not winning the division, then I feel sorry for you. I was an Expos fan. I paid my dues. I supported years of terrible teams and triple AAA reject players. I'm going to enjoy this and remember how bad things were in what seems like yesterday.

34. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

JaneB…Here is a link to twitter pics. Trying to figure out how to get all of them up there, but I put two up to startLivo with Nats Livo is a big boy

35. LoveDaNats - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I was at the game yesterday. Drew does not do his best work in a non-save situation. He needs the "rush".On another note, I got a foul ball yesterday. One more item off the bucket list. :)

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Did anyone notice that the official that gave the Seahawks a TD is named Marvin Hudson?

37. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Just a reminder.. NATS50 on PapaJohns.com

38. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

LoveDa..So JEALOUS about the foul ball. My family hates sitting with me, they believe I have a foul ball shield that makes sure they don't come within 20 feet of me.. Someday I will get a foul ball or better a HR.

39. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I heard that Nats-SF would be 2/3 also, and agree with every opinion I've heard expressed that they don't want to start a series w/ Cain and Baumgardner (sp?) in Games 1-2 in PacBell Park. If Braves are going to start Medlen in the play-in game, the Nats can squash anyone else in their rotation. And if the Cards somehow beat Medlen, they haven't anybody the Nats wouldn't tag for less than four runs.

40. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM

SCNF — All of us have horrible memories of a favorite team that stunk like a decomposing fish. Tigers for a dozen years, Oreos since '97, etc. It's just no one wants to see the present yanked from under the Christmas tree.

41. JaneB - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Fun photos, MichelleS! Thank you!I hope Det is a cold hearted killer tonight, and that Colbert gives a few meatballs to the Kid, so # 20 leaves the ballpark tonight. GYFNG!

42. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

There is no such thing as a juggernaut in baseball, period. Perhaps three of the five best teams in baseball history based upon regular season play failed to win the world series, while several teams that failed to even win their divisions or 90 games won the world series. Baseball is a crapshoot and in the post-season, baseball is a crapshoot in the dark.

43. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM

William O., I agree with you. St. Louis just got into last years playoffs and won it all.A player few had every heard of named David Freese stepped up in the biggest spots. Freese only had played in 90+ games last season and homered in 1:33 ABs and then in the postseason was hitting HRs in 1:12 ABs.Postseason baseball always has someone who steps up in a big way.

44. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Thanks to several of you for correcting me on the 2-3 vs. 2-2-1 series set-up. I clearly missed a memo somewhere along the line. If that's the case — and I don't doubt you — then maybe it is better to start against the Braves or Cardinals (for the reasons a couple of you have suggested). I guess I'm still flabbergasted that MLB couldn't have come up with a playoff scenario that actually awarded the higher seeded teams with initial home-field advantage.

45. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Just finished watching a few minutes of the Marlins pregame show and the Ozzie – Heath Bell thing has really blown up.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Ozzie went on the Dan Lebatard radio show and blasted Bell for his comments yesterday. Said he's lost all respect for Heath and if you believe the Marlins broadcasters, the locker room backs Ozzie.

47. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

NJ.. Is this Bell's play to get shipped out of Miami?

48. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM

crud.. Joe West is at 1b

49. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Probably but his contract is going to make it tough.

50. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM

How come Ozzie is always involved in controversy.

51. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Gonat.. cause he can't keep his mouth shut.

52. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Neighborhood play by Utley on Zim grounder. Utley wasn't close to the bag.

53. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM

54. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

MicheleS, that's true. Some players like him like Mark Buehrle who played for him in Chicago.

55. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Word down here is either Bienfest or Ozzie or maybe both are gone after the season.You'd have to be vitually unemployable to accept a job with Loria. September 25, 2012 7:15 PM _________________________________I used to think that about Angelos and he keeps getting idiots to take jobs there.There's only 30 GMs and 30 Manager positions in the world if you want to do it in the Majors.

56. JaneB - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Maybe Bobby Valentine can head for Miami when he gets dumped by Boston. The clubhouse won't notice the difference much.

57. JaneB - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Miami up by one so far. That's a happy surprise.

58. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The Onion's brother just took Medlen deep.. Fish 1-0

59. JaneB - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I wish Det could hit like Zimm does. But, I guess, so does he.

60. JaneB - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Danny! Zuke! Hurrah!

61. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Uggla just got a hit and Chipper scored. 1-1

62. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Nice to be watching a night game. No sun monsters.

63. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Unreal. You get this callup with no hits and he clubs a HR.

64. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I didn't see that. 4 straight balls to the opposing pitcher. Come on Det.

65. MicheleS - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM

And Det needs to pull himself together.

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Det needs to stay focused gets first 2 then loses focus for 10 pitched

67. Gonat - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

The problem with no scouting on Ruf is what his strengths are.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

We looked weak in top of 3rd

69. RickH - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Interesting that Det faced Ruf in college.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

And now Detwiler reverts to his old self. Wants to nibble.

71. Exposremains - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Detwiler doing his thing where he lets a homerun affect him and he starts pitching bad.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

No free passes. This stadium in Band box.

73. hiramhover - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Did Carp just say that Det doesn't usually get unnerved by things like that HR he gave up?Altho it's been less true this season, that's been one of the long-time knocks on Det, iirc.

74. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Something ain't right with Detwiler. He has totally lost his release point and confidence.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Totally lost focus and still it is lost.

76. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Really smart Det. Keep trying to be "cute" instead og pounding the zone.Solo home runs are fine. 3 run jacks after 2 walks are killers.

77. Exposremains - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

wheels are coming off

78. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Time to get someone warming fast in the Bullpen.

79. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

All those accolades Ross got this morning. I hope he didn't read all that stuff.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Whst is that all about. 0-2 right down the middle. Focus still not there.

81. RickH - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Yikes.

82. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Gonat said… Time to get someone warming fast in the Bullpen. September 25, 2012 8:04 PM _______________________________Like I said………..

83. Smatt1001 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

And Ruiz just smashed one…

84. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

5-1 and fugly

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

What the hell the walks kill you. I said when he walked the first batter. Total non concentration.

86. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

He just doesn't get it. Just can't keep his head in the game.

87. ehay2k - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Yeah, Detwiler seemed to lose it a bit after the first HR. Also throwing almost all fastballs. Where's the change and curve tonight? This is second time through the order (and it will very soon be the third!)

88. Smatt1001 - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Looks like Det is finding the zone again but the bats are going to have to get hot.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Thanks Det. The Braves will love seeing this on their scoreboard.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Obviously throwing so many fast ball over the middles is a request to lose.Now iur hitters have to take hitting as serious as THE Phillies did.Det pitches great to the last 3 hitters. What on earth had him pitching so terrible before that this inning.

91. Joe Seamhead - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Well, now, Ross, that was some serious damnage.

92. Exposremains - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I almost wrote the other day that I feel most confident they can win when Detwiler is on the mound these days but then he does that. Good old Detwiler.

93. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

4 days rest normal rest. Just sayin'

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Our batters need to bail Detwiler out

95. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Amazing how good the Phillies always look v the Nats..Of course walking the pitcher and grooving 0-2 fastballs can make anyone look pretty good…

96. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Going to be very tough now, Hamels is excellent with the lead…unlikely he'll help the offense out…

97. peric - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Its still only 5-1 let's see how they do in the band box now that the bats have come around and everyone has a role.

98. JaneB - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I hope FP is right that Hamels' pitching style means he will give up some 'taters. Start now, please.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Come on guys start playing like you want to win more than they do. This a pitiful effort so far.

100. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Hamels uses his full arsenal. Nats pitchers seem to like to throw a lot of challenge fastballs these days like relief pitchers.I don't get it because good hitters can guess right sometimes. Pitching is the art of deception.

101. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM

There's no problem with effort…The Phillies are just playing better…

102. RickH - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Det's back! (Let's hope.)

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Why the hell didnt he pitch like that all of last season.Put us behind the 8 ball.Now hitters if you want to win start acting like you want to. 3 little singles

104. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Swift Eagle said…There's no problem with effort…The Phillies are just playing better…agreed, Det's issues are all mental, he needs to focus more when he is ahead 0-2 in count. he will be fine

105. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Kris Medlen is 56 pitches through 5 innings. That's the kind of efficiency I like.

106. JaneB - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yes, NJ, but not in a Braves pitcher. Not till next year. On the other hand, Colebert's pitch count is rising. We need to get him into the dugout so we can make some hay.

107. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

One at a time…

108. RickH - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Two out rally!!!

109. JaneB - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

May Michael's shot have done major good, fast!

110. MicheleS - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Thankfully ALR got that hit.. I was afraid he was going to need a cortisone shot too.

111. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Hope Ross is noticing that even when he struggles, Hamels doesn't walk guys…The Nats are having to hit their way on base…As everyone keeps saying, it's the walks that just kill you

112. JaneB - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Maybe it's the camera angle, but Morse's batting stance looks different. His feet don't look as parallel as usual.

113. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Michele!! ALR in Sept is hitting .329 with 9 HRs and 17 RBI…

114. Scott Margenau - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

GYFNG!

115. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

This reliever named Detwiler is doing a heck of a good job!

116. MicheleS - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Swift.. I know.. he just look off yesterday. I worry when they have 1 bad day. (See Espinosa, Danny – bumb shoulder, goes 0-fer Atlanta)AND Now really Det.. What is going on? You nibble in 1 inning get crushed and now you are on. Keep it up and you teammates might get off the hook

117. ehay2k - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Having a drink for the severe jammage!

118. ehay2k - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Oops, just downgraded now to serious jammage. I'll take a smaller sip next time.

119. hiramhover - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Shorter FPDet only threw 2 bad pitches, if you don't count all the balls that led to walks.He does seem to be back on his game now, thankfully.

120. LoveDaNats - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I'm hyperventilating watching these guys! Not the Phillies. Not in CBP. Come on, Nats. Get it together!!!

121. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM

OK. Great comeback Ross.

122. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Home run by Solano!

123. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

When I left to take dear daughter to figure skating and it was 1-0, Nats. Returned and it was 5-1 Phillies. Geez. Got to see the two runs in the last inning; no reason they can't score two more against Mr. Hamels before he's pulled. GYFNG!

124. MicheleS - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Onion's Brother Just took MEDLIN deep again! 3-2 FISH!

125. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Solano is an honorary Nat!

126. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I guess the Marlins are actually trying to win. So many on here claimed they were indifferent.

127. MicheleS - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

WODL.. Solano is family, so we will take him tonight.

128. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Okay, so he's already been pulled. Even better.

129. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Phillies bullpen was lights out the last time the Nats were in Phi, hopefully they've come down to Earth by now…

130. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Figure skating? Come on Eugene, get that girl a softball mitt! Lol

131. MicheleS - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM

OY! Should have kept Det in

132. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Nats need to get a few of those longballs tonight.

133. Joe Seamhead - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Daggone it.

134. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Stammen gets the bottom of the order. Whoops.

135. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I'd still rather see guys giving up the solo HRs than when they come in and walk people…Have to make guys earn it, of course sometimes, they will…That was a shot by Brown, not a cheap CBP HR…

136. Exposremains - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

detwiler, now stammen, whats going on?

137. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Medlin is done for the night losing 3-2

138. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Stammen and Detwiler both started walking guys after giving up HRs…The combination of a good lineup and a small ballpark seems to be in their heads…

139. RickH - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Big strikeout by Stammen.

140. Exposremains - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

apart from Storen whats going on with the bullpen. Are they tired or just playoff pressure?

141. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Mike G with some serious stones there…Kept the Nats in it…

142. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Nice job by Michael Gonzalez.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Did anyone tell Morse the cordisone rule?Needed to hit 3 run dinger to pay for the shot.

144. Drew - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Lumberg is going to ask Ross and Craig about their T.F.S. reports.

145. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Ugh..Best play I've ever seen Howard make…Can;t believe I'm sitting here relying on Heath Bell to hold a lead! Rough Night

146. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Jason Heward swinging away on 3-0 and grounds out. Wow!!!

147. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Haha..Gonat, did some mean Little League coach always force you to take 3-0 pitches? I feel like that's your pet peeve..Lol

148. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Swift Eagle said… Ugh..Best play I've ever seen Howard make…______________________________________________Thinking the same. Also ticked that JWerth is in suckitude tonight which is a big difference in this game.

149. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Braves have Kimbrel pitching the 9th down by 1…Seems odd to me

150. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Freddi Gonzalez wants it so bad that losing 3-2 he still brings in his closer Kimbrel which was something he said he wouldn't do.

151. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Swift, I owe you a drink! Good minds think alike!

152. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Into the bottom of the 9th in Atl…Chipper, Freeman, Uggla due up

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

We used to own Bastard-O. What happened?

154. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Chipper F. Jones

155. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Lead off double

156. Section 222 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Braves walkoff. Darn!

157. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM

And a WP gets him to 3rd with no outs…Awesome

158. Smatt1001 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM

159. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Wow

160. Section 222 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

They are going crazy in ATL, but not because they think they have a chance to catch the Nats. They just clinched a WC berth.

161. Smatt1001 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Not looking to be a good night for the Nats… need to find some that late game magic the team had early n the season.

162. Steady Eddie - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I knew we had had it when Dunn came in for the Fish. He is terrible and is the reliever we clobbered in that 6 run 8th inning where Danny hit the 3 run bomb and Harp went back-to-back.Why he's on any MLB team is beyond me.

163. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Mike Dunn, and I mean this sincerely, your goatee is about the stupidest looking thing that I have ever seen.

164. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Irony, Heath Bell gets them 1-2-3 in the 8th and the closer melts down and gets no outs in walkoff.

165. rogieshan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Surprise, surprise. Mike Dunn is an ex-Brave.

166. DJB - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Bad feeling. That clinch number is not going down fast enough. We need this game.

167. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I guess the manager was mad at Heath Bell for dissing him in the paper. I will say that the Nats are walking a fine line between not getting stressed and closing this thing out. Detweiler's performance tonight was not good and it is dopey for the announcers to keep harping on his good beginning and good end. It doesn't matter when you walk everybody in between.

168. Section 222 - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Braves are partying like it's 1999. Squirting champagne and everything. Goggles needed. Quite a contrast to the Nats' subdued celebration. Announcers talking about the ghosts of 2011 being gone.

169. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Jason and a few others at bats tonight could have been a lot better. Not very good focus tonight at the plate. We are looking at 4 up with 8 to play.

170. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Mike Dunn comes in and gives up a double, a wild pitch and a home run. The Marlins were definitely trying to win this game, but Dunn apparently was the wrong man at the wrong time.

171. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

yesterday's win over Brewers is looking bigger by the moment

172. Secret wasian man - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

pretty pathetic when people are complaining about Marlins pitcher because he didnt help us. So who do you think will pitch the wilcard game for the Nats?

173. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler… let's be honest, Dunn is a zero and am glad he does not pitch for us

174. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The Braves most likely have to win one more game than all the announcers are saying because they would have to win a tiebreaker game.

175. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Strasburg will pitch in the wild card game. It will be the greatest story every. Boras and Strasburg overrule Rizzo and he comes back and pitches a no-hitter.

176. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Secret wasian man come on don't say that. Nats will win East. i will say if they do not not that would be very disappointing and would soil the playoffs, that is why it will not happen and why yesterday's win was huge.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Soil, or spoil? Or both?

178. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…Soil, or spoil? Or both? lol both, but it won't happen

179. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Duke looks good

180. DJB - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I'm trying to decide how dissappointed about the season I would be if they lose the division, a growing likelihood now. I know that the chances of winning the play-in would be a crap shoot at best, given the swoon we are potentially entering here. On the other hand, I didn't expect more than 88 wins this year, so they did exceed expectations.

181. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

A 4 game lead with 8 to play is still pretty large…Nats about to be 13-10 in Sept, Braves are 15-7…The Nats have shown they can bounce back

182. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM

A Nats 4 run 9th would be very nice!

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Now we will hear from all the stupid reporters that the Braves won another Medlin start, as people in the media love stringing together meaningless statistical garbage.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

We get 7 hits against Hamels. We dont bother to get 1 against the bullpen. Tell me what is that all about. Then Braves needs hits in the 9th they do it.The cirdisone shot didnt work. Give Morse another.Detwiler's melt down in the third and Morse not equalizing Ruiz's 3 run homer 2 biggest factors

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM

9Th innings do like the Braves score eniugh win.Proove you want it as much as Phils

186. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Basically, every time the Nats go out there, they have a 60 percent chance of winning. Against an equal team with a tough pitcher, it may fall to 40 percent, but this isn't football. In 1991, nobody could beat the Redskins essentially and you knew that. But an equally dominant baseball team has a fifty percent chance, more or less, of losing any game or series.

187. Secret wasian man - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Im Sorry. But I see our best shot of reducing the magic number lies with the Marlins. Maybe the Phils will be mathematically eliminated for the final series and play backups. I want nothing more than to be wrong. But the Phils and Cards are better than the Nats right now.

188. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM

DJB it would very frustrating and disappointing to have been in first 99% of the season to lose out at the end. I am not sure if a young team like Nats could recover from that and in fact, tha is something that could affect them in 2013. If we win the East (I think we will) and lose in first round, that is fine. But to lose the division after leading the whole season would be very tough to rebound from and of course all the stupid Strass controversies would be around all off season and into next.

189. Swift Eagle - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

How many pessimists end up desiring the things they fear, in order to prove that they are right. Robert Mallet

190. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

At least the Pirates won tonight.

191. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM

of course, if Nats lost the East and got to the NLCS or WS, then nobody will care that they lost the East

192. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Bottom of the order coming up….

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Palpabon gave up 5 in the 9th against Braves about a month ago. Time for Nats to do the same.

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Mike Dunn with a 1.66 Whip. Why is he even in the major leagues?

195. DJB - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I just can't see us beating the Phillies in these last two series. They're now about to win 6 out of the last seven. They've figured something out, or we don't match up. Being swept in Atlanta looming very large now.

196. Gonat - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Papelbon pitches you like a starter. Has a few pitches he can pull out and his fastball with tail is a great pitch for him when it has movement.

197. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

When was the last time that the Nats had a great comeback and actually won the game? They seem to always come back and tie and then lose anyway….

198. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I will give it to Charlie Manuel, he has this team in it til the end

199. mick - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM

oh my

200. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Espinosa flails like a little girl at strike three….