Sep 26, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan tries to pitch the Nationals to a rare win at Citizens Bank Park.
PHILADELPHIA — What is it about the Philadelphia Phillies that brings out the worst in the Nationals? Well, there's the obvious answer: The Phillies have been a really good team for the better part of the last six years. But there also seems to be something about this opponent, and especially this ballpark, that continues to haunt the Nationals.
Yes, they posted a winning record at Citizens Bank Park last season, thanks entirely to a four-game September sweep after Philadelphia had already clinched the NL East. Over the last six seasons combined, though, the Nats are 16-33 here, 36-67 overall against the Phillies. They've lost four straight here entering tonight's game.
Which puts the pressure squarely on John Lannan's shoulders. The problem: Lannan is 1-5 with a 7.06 ERA in seven career starts in this ballpark, the lone victory coming last year. He'll need to overcome that demon if he's going to help his team get back on track tonight.
Lannan won't have one regular behind him in the field. Danny Espinosa is not in the Nationals lineup, replaced by Steve Lombardozzi. We'll have to find out whether this is related to his lingering shoulder injury or something else.
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, ESPN (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Chance of storms, 74 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"