Sep 26, 2012, 2:03 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler reacts to Carlos Ruiz's third-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: Hoping to move another step closer to their first division title, the Nationals dug themselves into an early hole and couldn't climb all the way out. Ross Detwiler, who hadn't allowed a run in his last 14 1/3 innings against the Phillies, was roughed up for five runs during a ragged, two-inning stretch. The Nationals knocked Cole Hamels out after five but couldn't get anything going against the Philadelphia bullpen. And before they knew what hit them, they had dropped the ballgame. Even worse, the Braves rallied in dramatic fashion to beat the Marlins in the bottom of the ninth, clinching a playoff berth and reducing their deficit in the NL East to four games with eight to play. The Nationals' magic number remains stuck at five. And they can no longer wrap up the division title in Philly. The earliest they can do that now: Friday night in St. Louis.
Hitting lowlight: In one regard, the Nationals lineup did a solid job against Hamels, making the left-hander work and driving his pitch count up to the point he had to be pulled after five innings. But given aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Behind Harper power surge, Nats outlast Marlins
- Harper goes yard for 3 HR's against Marlins
- New Nats veteran reliever reports to minor league affiliate
- Nats' reliever Casey Janssen ready for big step in rehab
- Werth sidelined again with "cranky" shoulder
- Strasburg hopes chiropractor can fix shoulder
- Aaron Barrett joins STL to discuss Nats recent success
- Bullpen holds after Strasburg's early exit, but Nats fall
- PHOTOS: RG3 attends Nationals-Marlins Tuesday
- Nationals preview adorable Pet Day calendar