Game 156: Nats at Phillies

Sep 27, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to win one last time this season at Citizens Bank Park.

PHILADELPHIA — There's obviously plenty at stake for the Nationals tonight in their series finale against the Phillies. First and foremost, of course, they're trying to reduce their magic number to clinch the NL East from 4 to either 3 or 2. But there are some other things to keep an eye on, as well.

From a team standpoint, the Nationals are still in a down-to-the-wire battle with the Reds for the best record in the NL. Cincinnati just stormed back in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Brewers, so the Nats will need to win tonight to maintain a 1-game lead in that department.

From a personal standpoint, Gio Gonzalez takes the mound in search of his league-leading 21st win, trying to keep some distance between himself and the Mets' R.A. Dickey (who is in line to win his 20th this afternoon against the Pirates).

Danny Espinosa, meanwhile, returns to the Nationals lineup after his surprise benching last night. He'll be part of the regular eight in action against Phillies rookie right-hander Tyler Cloyd.

Plenty of updates to come, and we'll also have Bo Porter's thoughts on becoming the Astros' new manager, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 3 mph in from RF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Exposremains - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Nats win, Braves lose. I feel it.

2. Exposremains - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Check with me in 312 comments

3. alm - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Repost about Manny getting fired:I never saw anything in Manny that made him a good manager. His strategy or handeling of the bull pen (yes I know it was crappy) was lacking IMO.And that stoic – totem pole pose that he took during the game, almost never moving or saying anything really bugged me. The fact that he left the dug out only once that I can remember to argue with an ump or protect and stick up for his player was a real negative. I get his explanation that he was too argumentative in the minor years but he took not arguing to an extreem. I don't think there will be multiple teams looking to hire him this time.

4. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Guess I'll repost my Manny comment too:Manny had plenty of time, and not bad raw materials to work with. He might not be responsible for the Indians' collapse (two years in a row really), but someone has to take the fall for that kind of failure. I too don't miss him at all. The stoic demeanor, the excuses (remember Anderson Hernandez and the cut of the grass?), the devotion to mediocre players like Austin Kearns. All remnants of a past in Natstown that should be recalled only as a cautionary note.Davey is a superior manager in every way you can think of, and I bet Bo will be too. At the very least, he's going to stick up for his players. Just ask Jamie Quirk.

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

John Axford melts down in Save and Reds walkoff with a triple. That's rare, a walkoff triple.,

6. JD - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

alm, That was a crappy team Manny had in DC. I too was frustrated with his apparent lack of passion but his explanation was that he didn't want to exhibit 'fake' anger which to me means that he really didn't get excited enough to throw a tantrum; they have the same criticism of him in Cleveland. I agree with you; he's not getting a big league job any time soon. He will have to rebuild his reputation by having some successes in the minors.

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

My biggest criticism of Acta was he didn't stand up on the field when umps were disrespecting Nats players.

8. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

What the h. . .. If everybody else is reposting I might as well, too: "I suppose it's debatable whether anyone could have managed Milledge/Dukes/FLop/Anderson Hernandez/Meathook, et al., but Acta just let the inmates run the asylum. He was so bad he made Riggleman look good for about a year. For that he deserves exile to the darkest corners of organized baseball. Maybe he can get Guillen's job in Miami. On second thought, I don't want to have to see him eighteen games a year."

9. JaneB - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Manny's lack of fight with bad calls was a marked difference from Frank. I'm glad Davey comes out of the dugout. That said, Davey has different pieces from the ones Davey has this year.Walk off triple. Wow. I'm torn between rooting for the best record and wanting to play the Giants. As it is, I'll just be glad to be rooting for my own team in October.Go, Gio! Grab that 21. GYFNG! (I just can't end a game post without typing that, even when I try). GYFNG!

10. David - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM

why not see Acta and the Marlins 18 times a year? i'd love for them to continue being a mess.

11. m20832 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

For that he deserves exile to the darkest corners of organized baseball. Maybe he can get Guillen's job in Miami. On second thought, I don't want to have to see him eighteen games a year." Why not? Then the Nats would get the fish curse off their back.GYFNG!!!

12. natsfan1a - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I'll repost, too, seeing as how we're each entitled to our opinion, and to add a positive note on someone who just lost his job. I always liked Manny and wish him nothing but the best. Re. ejections, I recall Acta being tossed after his rookie pitcher was ejected from his first start. Who was that pitcher again? And who was the opposing team? Oh, yeah. Now I remember. :-) Not that I don't like Davey, mind you.

13. natsfan1a - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh, and on topic: Go, Mr. 20! Go, Nats (bats and defense)!

14. natsfan1a - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Just to be clear, 20* refers to Gio's current number of wins, not to any given player's age, either at the beginning or the end of any given season. :-)

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

JimBo's crowing that Dickey is the Cy after winning #20.Always have to wonder about JimBo's motivations. Is it anti-Nat or does he believe it that Dickey is truly the best. Same always goes for Dribble and his motives.

16. SonnyG10 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Let's go Nats and win the series tonight. Get enough runs so Gio can claim his 21st win tonight. GYFNG!!!

17. greg - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

i never actively disliked manny, but he never made me want him to stay, either. he was just… milquetoast… bland… boring. i don't think the manager should be the center of attention, by any means, but i don't think he can be boring and uninspired/uninspiring, either. one of the things that stands out about davey is that *EVERYONE* on the team plays hard for him. even as he came into the chaos of the riggleman mess. i think it's possible to be quiet and stoic, to an extent, and be successful. but you can't be bland. that just doesn't work. nobody follows bland. or, at least, when they do, it just leads to mediocrity.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

JimBo at least sees Bryce as his Rookie of the Year.

19. Exposremains - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

well apart from throwing a screwball(is that a criteria?) Dickey's numbers are really good.

20. baseballswami - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

We seem to have problems with these unknown rookie pitchers. That's another annoying habit I would like to see broken. Man – Jayson got booed soooo bad last night. It was sweet to see him quiet the crowd, though. I actually thought I heard them booing their own pitchers, so I guess that is their in-game entertainment. Nice to see some nats fans there – hope they got out safely! That ninth inning ( top) , was extremely long and I don't think I have ever seen a pitcher draw things out quite that much. Hoping Gio is channeling his inner cy young tonight.And I hope the bats are alive right from the start again. Drew looked as sharp as I have ever seen him look. I love how his pitching is peaking right at the right time!!

21. SonnyG10 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Jimbo is so pathetic. He's just trying to be relavent in today's game, but he sure sounds like an ass to me.

22. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Speaking of Nats fans at CBP, there were some folks right behind the Nats dugout who were making handmade signs during the game. At the very end of the broadcast, they held up a sign but the telecast didn't stay with them for long. It said something about "changing of the guard." Anyone know them, or see what the sign said?

23. bowdenball - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I understand we're homers, but how can you possibly argue that Dickey doesn't deserve the Cy Young? He is equal to or better than almost everyone else in the league in almost every category, traditional and sabermetric.And lest we forget, Dickey had to play with the terrible Mets defense behind him, and occasionally face the Washington Nationals. Gio got to play with the outstanding Nationals defense behind him, and occasionally face the putrid New York Mets.

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Lets go Gio and knock the number to 3, the Marlins can only beat us so I don't expect to get to two. Start like last night with 5 in the first 2.

25. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I have to agree with you bowdenball. I've heard Ray Knight and others say that the fact that Gio plays for a contender and Dickey doesn't should give him an edge, but I think it's the opposite.

26. peric - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I wonder if Bryce will make the 20/20 club?

27. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

20/20 club seems more likely thank catching or passing Conigliaro. But I wouldn't put anything past the Kid.

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Section222, right now who would you want pitching for you, Gio or Dickey. I choose Gio as in crucial times its not about style points, its about winning.I do think Dickey will win the Cy as the media loves him.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Bryce is 3 steals from 20/20. Good chance of that!

30. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Could tonight be Gio's last start before the playoffs? His next scheduled start would be Oct. 2, or Oct. 3 if Davey uses Wang against the Cards and wants to use all five other starters before going back to Gio. If he starts on Oct. 2, he's lined up to start again on Oct. 7, which would be Game 1 of the NLDS if we're the No. 1 seed. But if we're the No. 2 seed, Game 1 would be on Oct. 6. Surely Davey wouldn't want him to do short rest this early in the playoffs would he?I can see Gio pitching on Oct. 2 if our magic number for clinching the No. 1 seed at that point is 1. But what if that Magic No. is 2, or 3? Ghost and NCNatsie, you guys are into rotation predictions, what do you think Davey will do? Gio is definitely the guy Davey wants starting Game 1, right? Or would he be ok with JZnn in Game 1 if we are playing the Giants out in SF?

31. bowdenball - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I'd choose Dickey, GoSM. He's had a slightly better year, and I wonder if if would be more than just slightly better if he had the Nationals defense playing behind him instead of the Mets. Style points have nothing to do with it. And if it's "about winning," Dickey has a better winning percentage even though he plays for a far weaker team. Isn't that "winning"?

32. alm - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I don't agree that Dickey is way ahead of Gio in stats. The last month or so there has been lots of pressure on Gio, none on Dickey.If Dickey's stats were superior, than yes he would deserve it, but they aren't so the player who helps his team to the best record in baseball deserves it.The follow stats are Dickey/Gio:ERA – 2.69/2.84 = same [D]K – 222/201 (1 less start for Gio) = similar [D]K/9 – 8.78/9.36 = similar [G]Win – 20/20IP – 227/193 (about 200 after tonight) = DickeyWHIP – 1.04/1.14 same [D]Bat Ave Against – .224/.204 GioHome Runs – 22/9 – GioSo their stats, as I view them are similar. Dickey has more innings – no arm stain to throw the way he does vs. Davey is over-cautious with our staff.Gio has a better batting average against and has given up way less homers.Since they are a not appreciably different the award goes to the one whose pitching actually made a difference. That's the way the MVP goes when its between 2 players.

33. Feel Wood - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Section 222 said… Could tonight be Gio's last start before the playoffs? His next scheduled start would be Oct. 2, or Oct. 3 if Davey uses Wang against the Cards and wants to use all five other starters before going back to Gio. If he starts on Oct. 2, he's lined up to start again on Oct. 7, which would be Game 1 of the NLDS if we're the No. 1 seed. But if we're the No. 2 seed, Game 1 would be on Oct. 6. Surely Davey wouldn't want him to do short rest this early in the playoffs would he?Doubtful. But also probably wouldn't want him to sit around for 10 days either. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another start, but limited to 3 or 4 innings, to keep him sharp but not tire him out.

34. peric - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

You can't rest these starters too long … they end up pitching less effectively as we've seen. One day one way or the other is probably okay but more than that?Its different from resting a position player. A lot has to do with rhythm and the starter's cycle of bullpens and warms up for the main event. A lot of it is mental … makes them creatures of habit.Sure Davey is going to throw out Wang against the Cardinals. And Lannan gets another start against the Phillies to see if he can go more than five innings without getting into trouble.Me? I like the idea floated of having Duke start the last game if Gio doesn't. He deserves it and a playoff berth. He did out pitch Lannan in Syracuse and unlike Lannan, he has show a propensity to be a very effective reliever to boot. Thankfully, Davey will see it that way and Duke and not Lannan will be on the playoff roster. However, it would be nice to find out what happened to put Tom Gorzelanny out of the picture? Is he injured or … inquiring minds want to know … certainly a top question for Beltway Baseball.

35. bowdenball - Sep 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

For alm and others, let me clarify: I don't think it's a no-brainer that Dickey should win the Cy Young. What I meant was that I didn't understand how other posters could criticize anyone in the media for taking the position that Dickey should win the Cy Young. He certainly has as good a case as anyone, maybe better. Because of that I think it's silly to suggest that, for example, my esteemed namesake is praising Dickey because of some anti-Nats agenda.

36. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Ghost, it's close, but I'd probably take Dickey. His season has been astonishing, especially with the lousy team he has behind him. Leading the league in ERA (Gio is 6th), innings pitched (Gio not in top 10, complete games with 5, (Gio has 2), shutouts with 3 (Gio has 1), 3rd in WHIP (Gio is 6th). Gio leads the league in hits per 9 IP (Dickey is 3rd), wins (Dickey is 2nd), and is 2nd in Ks per 9 IP, to Strasburg (Dickey not in top 10). He's been very impressive, but Dickey more so in my opinion.Actually, I'd probably take Medlen, the way he's been pitching, but that doesn't make him Cy Young worthy.

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Section222, very Good points!

38. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Feel that makes sense. So assuming that the seeding has been established, do you have Gio start on regular rest on Oct. 2 and just throw a few innings, and then send him out there on short rest on Oct. 6 if necessary? Or do you have him throw a few innings on short rest on Oct. 1, so he's fully rested on Oct. 6 if needed? Those seem to be the two choices. And what if they need Gio to pitch full out to win the No. 1 seed? Or would Davey be just as happy with No. 2 and be more concerned with Gio being rested and ready on Oct. 6? I think he wants Gio fully rested on Oct. 6 if needed, and will not go out to win the No. 1 seed, regardless of its advantages, but I'm not sure about this at all.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Section222, I also agree on Medlen. He hits his spots with pinpoint accuracy and with late life on his pitches and he has amazing pitchcount efficiency.

40. Section 3, My Sun Monster Sofa - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I believe Davey has basically said he wants to win the division before he starts worrying about setting up the rotation.

41. Section 3, My Sun Monster Sofa - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Kimbrel should also get some votes, tho maybe not first place. You can't close much better than he has. 33rd round, btw.

42. hiramhover - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I didn't understand how other posters could criticize anyone in the media for taking the position that Dickey should win the Cy Young.Because Dickey is Met, and this is a Nats blog?

43. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Kimbrel is a freak of nature. I watched his 4 K 9th inning on MLB.TV. That guy is pretty much unhittable. Did anyone ever consider making him starter? Sofa, I know Davey has said that, but do you really think he's given no thought to how things line up? He wants to take this team all the way. And besides, aren't we here to think about the things Davey says he doesn't want to, so he can turn to the this blog for answers when the time comes? :-)

44. baseballswami - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I think we are getting waaaay ahead of ourselves. Let's win a game here. How about four? I can't even remember the last time we won 2in a row.Could we start there? We cannot depend on the Braves losing at all – not with the way they are playing and not with the teams they are playing. And we are facing Philly and the Cardinals – you know, last years world series champs? All this talk about resting people and setting up rotations is a little bit premature. My fingers are firmly in my ears when such things about being talked about. Bad kharma.

45. baseballswami - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

You have got to read the SI.com article written by Drew's dad about drew as a little boy, a college pitcher, losing his grandparents and about how he as Drew's dad, felt watching drew clinch the wild card spot. I have a giant lump in my throat that won't go away. It's a fantastic article.

46. smurff - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Just read that, Swami. Amazing.

47. Dave - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I hate to veer off from the firing of Manny and the Gio-Dickey debate, but…Have any season ticket holders gotten any post-season "strip" tickets in the mail?Playoff season begins one week from today. I, for one, have 10 partners sharing these tickets who will want to have them before games begin.

48. MicheleS - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Here is the link to the story that Swami mentions about Drew's Dad:DRUUUUUUUUU

49. NatsLady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Lotta rain in Pennsylvania. Wonder if they'll get this one in?

50. NatsLady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Haven't got my strip yet. I check every day for a note from UPS/Fed Ex.

51. NatsLady - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

But apparently the Metro is settled and a corporate sponsor will pay (Living Good–never heard of 'em).

52. MicheleS - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

NatsLady.. It's Living Social, They are one of those company's that do mass coupons. – Like Groupon

53. Clip&Store - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I just have an extra jolt for tonights game…not sure if its cuz of the werth incident, the chance to take 2/3 from phi on the road, separate from the braves, have Gio (hopefully!!) get #21, all the above, or something else..

54. MicheleS - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

55. Bigfish - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

JaneB raised an issue earlier that has probably been addressed on another thread, but it's one that intrigues me: should we really be trying for the best record? Second-best doesn't have to deal with that screwy first-two-games-away set-up (which scares the hell out of me). Why shouldn't we let Cincy deal with the wild-card winner while we play SF?

56. Clip&Store - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

@Bigfish: Well, I'd still prefer the #1 seed since we would get homefield throughout the playoffs in that case. Difference of braves and giants isn't big, but i still would prefer the top seed.plus, who doesn't wanna be number?

57. natsfan1a - Sep 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Too late, I just read it. :'-)MicheleS said… Oh and if you read that article about Drew.. get a tissue, you know, you might just get a little misty. September 27, 2012 6:46 PM

58. waddu eye no - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM

way cool about drew. thanks for the link

59. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Conigliaro, watch out because here comes Bryce!

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Harper did his thing too bad a solo

61. mick - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Drew's story is uplifting to the human spirit

62. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Looking forward to reading about Drew. Tissues at the ready.Bigfish — if we're No. 2, we don't have to deal with the uncertainty of where we're going, but we do have to start the NLDS on the road. I'm for getting the No. 1 seed so when we face Cincy in the NLCS we'll have home field advantage. But Davey may actually prefer to plan and set up his rotation for the Giants. So either way is fine.Swami — Karma, Schwarma. We've been talking about the playoffs since late August. The Nats started selling tickets for playoff games at the beginning of the month. You're welcome to put your fingers in your ears, but the cat is way out of that bag. And anyway, we got this. Dave – No strips here yet either. Supposedly they sent them this week. I'm going to place a call to my rep tomorrow just to be sure.Finally, yes! Harper goes deep– number 21. Just 4 more to be the greatest teenage homerun hitter in history. Holy crap!

63. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM

.263 21 57 17 94That's Bryce's BA, HRs, RBIs, SB, and Runs

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM

OK vets follow Harper's lead.

65. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Gio doing a lot of nibbling. I had to look up to make sure it wasn't Lannan pitching again tonight.

66. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Gio has already walked more in the 1st inning than Lannan did all of last night.

67. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

8 pitches for the first 2 outs then this.

68. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Oh, that was ugly.

69. SCNatsFan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Walks are just killing this staff right now

70. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

What the Heck is Gio doing?

71. Section 222 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Our CY candidate is having a night. Not what we wanted to see from him. Fortunately, Bam Bam has shown that Cloyd is hittable. So get out of this inning and let's go get some runs.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Walking people again. Why throw so many balls? Then crushes hen throw one in the middle. This is what ticked off the A's management. To often tjis happened.Much less this year but still to often.7 pitches to the first 2 batters then started to get cute instead of pitching.Maloox already taken

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

He is making y young choise easy for the voters.

74. MicheleS - Sep 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Is Gio Flying open?

75. MicheleS - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Sweet. Beast just hit a homer. Thank you!

76. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

MicheleS, it seems like he was releasing too far over his right foot.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Lets see Dickey 30 more inning more than 20 less walks If Gio walk ratio was as good he would have 23 to 25 wins.walks his worse enemy

78. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Danny bunting. I wish he did that last night with men on 1st and 3rd and 1 out instead of striking out.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Need more people on. make homers worth more.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Gio show you mean business. You threw 3 more balls than strikes in first. Get serious please

81. SteveRep44 - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Gio needs a bounce-back inning here. 3 outs, less than 12 pitches. If he does that, I'm confident the Nats bats will continue to get to Cloyd.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hanson walked 2 then a hit but managed to leave bases loaded.0-2 count pitch over the middle tl be hit. Please get serious

83. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Gio is frustrating the cr-p out of me!

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Had he pitched his 2 strike pitch to Utley like did this inning no damage. instead we are still be hind

85. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Thank the Lord. Gio finds a glove!

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ok Gio homer and get it even

87. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Gio has the easiest of all the lineups the Nats have faced this week – NO CHOOCH RUIZ!

88. Gonat - Sep 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Are they yelling BOOOOOOM for Werth? As in the Legion of BOOOOOOM

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Hanging breaking ball fouled nack. That was a homer given away.

90. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Not much of a bounce back inning there, but at least they didn't score. In this park, a one run lead is nothing, as we've seen. We can still win this one.

91. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Marlins are winning!

92. Feel Wood - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Re the playoff strips: Mine already show up in MyNationalsTickets. Yours probably do too. That should allow you to transfer tickets electronically to partners so they can print at home. That will get them into the games. If they want the real ticket for commemorative purposes you can always give it to them after the fact.

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Seems we have been doing well in games where Werth gets on and not when he doesn't. So he needs to get on the stick.

94. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Ruf start.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM

My wife figured out the problem for Gio . I thought was finally was learning baseball. She sai "No wonder Gio is having problems. He is pitching with his left hand"

96. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Feel:Thanks for the update on the tickets. Just saw mine out there on My Tickets. Haven't gotten the actual tickets. But at least I know they are there.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Now everyone hit

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Morse tied it

99. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Okay we are all even now. new ball game

100. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Feel, my playoff tix are visible, but not yet transferrable, just as they've been since I bought them almost a month ago. Do yours show up in color like the regular season tix that are left? New ballgame folks!

101. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Marlins 2 runs up!

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM

That strike on Ian looked eay out. Gio's balls Are balls. Want other teams balls need to be.

103. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Gosh I love when Zimmy doesn't think.Adam better get that gold glove.

104. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Manassas — Could you check your posts before you hit publish? You're sounding kind of inebriated again.

105. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

How is Harper going to get more SBs if he keeps hitting HRs?This kid still has a lot left to learn.

106. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

If I may translate:Manassas sound drinkin. Cheque pots pleez

107. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Darn 2-1 in Atlanta

108. Feel Wood - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

My playoff strip tickets have the little checkbox next to them. I assume that means they're available for transfer, StubHub, etc.

109. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Manassas.. I love your posts – even with the typos. They always make me smile – especially since i do the same thing.

110. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM

.264 21 58 17 94That's Bryce's BA, HRs, RBIs, SB, and Runs

111. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM

See we are ahead now. Gio needs to get thru another inning or two.

112. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I would love to see pitch track for those called stikes there.

113. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Mike Muchlinski with another phantom strike. Inside and low.

114. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Atlanta just blew their game open.

115. Steady Eddie - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Aughhh! Bryan Peterson drops a routine fly ball with the bases loaded and the Barves score 2 on what should have been the third out of the inning. That would have been much too obvious a muff for the Black Sox.

116. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Marlins' outfielder drops a fly ball….

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Where is pitch track?

118. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Brian Peterson and Mike Dunn–I dislike both of you intensely.

119. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Feel, mine have the check box too, but not the 3 colors that show that they are available for sale or transfer. Compare them to your Oct. 1 tickets for example.There goes FP with his homerism about Gio and the Cy Young. Gio's in a pennant race and had a good September (until tonight…), that does it for him. Great analysis there. Whatever.

120. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM

MNF.. it's the Chalula Pitch track that they show on TV. I am sure there is one on the web somewhere. Anyone? Or does that come out a day later?

121. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM

That was a decent catch by Danielito….

122. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM

222 would rather have a homer than Dribble. Just sayin. Plus I have learned other stuff from his as well. Situational stuff/hitting, fielding. All Dribble ever did was grunt

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Rian peterson cost them Monday'S game fielding poorly.Thanks Michelle. My auto correct is back on and it has this bad habit of changing way too many words.Now more runs please.

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

ESPN Gamecast has each pitch shown with reference to the strike zone. It is the next best thing to television if you only have radio or neither tv or radio.

125. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Dibble was decent until he lost his mind. Santangelo is better.

126. NatsNut - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM

What's weird is that my postseason strips aren't here, but the postseason tix i bought for my buddy's mom came probably a week ago. AND those seats are better than my STH seats for the same price. Grrrr.

127. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM

BEAST BOMB!

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Morse, finally back?

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Tom Gorzilanny catches homer

130. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM

mlb's game day also shows the strike zone.And also – the Beast is back!

131. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Sometimes Mikey Mo reminds me so much of Dave Kingman. Watched him hit bombs onto Waveland as a kid when he was with the Cubs.

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Shot finally working. Give Espi another shot.bull pen coming. Last inning first in 22 we scoredon them.

133. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Got to love Gio's MomAmanda Comak‏@acomakGio's mom only asked for one homer, but I'm sure she's not too upset that Michael Morse went ahead and hit two tonight.

134. Joe Seamhead - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Where are you folks that were calling for Davey to bench Morse?

135. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Braves color commentator just went on a rant about how ALR doesn't deserve the comeback player of the year because he didn't come back from a "physical adversity". As compared to Medlen and Posey. Totally uninformed. And Strasburg doesn't deserve it because he didn't play the whole year. What an idiot.

136. waddu eye no - Sep 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

btw – post of the year:7:07 p.m. — We are underway. It's Fan Appreciation Night here for the Phillies final home game. Tons of empty seats.says it all.

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Espi great in the field but swings at so many balls. That seems so easy to fix but no one seems able to fix it.

138. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

So, Natslady in your new blog still going to predict Michael Morse gone and Rick Ankiel back in the outfield?

139. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Michele, I despised Dibble too. And I've learned things from FP too. And he's better than he was last year. I know it could be worse. (I know he's no Hawk Harrelson.) I'm just really tired of him acting like our guys are better than they are and making excuses for them. He doesn't treat his listeners as knowledgable baseball fans. Instead he acts like his job is to promote the Nats' players at all costs. As if what they accomplished this year doesn't speak for itself. Doesn't that bug you at all?

140. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Morse never left … still has 16 home runs in 98 games … hitting between .290 and .300. A dangerous hitter if he gets hot for the playoffs. It might change folks' minds about facing Atlanta first …

141. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Peric.. since you are on I thought I would repost my question from earlier thread (and remember I am in the tank for Espi) MicheleS said… Peric, you aren't the only person that reads Luke's stuff. And as I had stated, you have had Rendon slated for 3b, although to be fair, you have recently posted that he might go to 2b. And as a serious question, How do you have Rendon going to 2b when you have Espi as the player with the highest upside of anyone on the team? Where does Espi go if Rendon goes to 2b?

142. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Sometimes Mikey Mo reminds me so much of Dave Kingman. Watched him hit bombs onto Waveland as a kid when he was with the CubsDave Kingman … boy you don't watch much baseball do you MichelleS? That guy was lucky to hit .200 every year! More like the recent incarnation of Adam Dunn. Morse is hitting in the .290's remember? How many of the starters are hitting that? My god does anyone really watch these games?

143. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Peric – C'mon–I've been rooting for Morse for a long time, but there's no doubt that his power numbers have been down.I know you love you some ISO, and (before tonight) Morse's was 94 points lower this season than last.

144. Joe Seamhead - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

222, I have one friend that didn't like FP at first, but does now. Virtually everybody in my crowd enjoys him. Sorry you don't. Darn, we gotta quit with the wild pitches/passed balls!GYFNG,!!!

145. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Peric, I was referring to the BOMBS. Good lord. I know that Kingman was a K machine. I watched that too. Another reason that the cubs were atrocious. Give it a rest.

146. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM

How do you have Rendon going to 2b when you have Espi as the player with the highest upside of anyone on the team? Where does Espi go if Rendon goes to 2b?No, I've consistently said that I believe Rendon goes to third base (unless he turns out to be another Nick "made of glass stick" Johnson. Zimmerman goes to first base.That's the only scenario that makes sense given that LaRoche is probably gone at age 33 looking for a 3-4 year contract like Dunkey did. Now, some in the FO might have other ideas. Davey even said during ST he wanted to see him at shortstop. Does Rendon replace Desmond? Look at what a great replacement Espinosa was for Desmond? And believe me Luke Erickson is just as high on Espinosa as anyone. But, he is represented by Boras. He can be stubborn and arrogant. And as a a result he struck out 190 times. Kind of like what many have said about BJ Upton and he is also a great athlete.I just don't see them losing Espy. Getting to hit right-handed full time seems a more likely scenario. And moving Zim to first and Rendon to third.

147. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM

peric said… My god does anyone really watch these games?September 27, 2012 9:06 PM________________________________No, only you do except when Lannan is doing well as thats the only time you disappear.

148. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Gotta say, I love the way Gio gutted this out after that awful 1st inning. He's got good stuff, but that takes a good mental makeup too.

149. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM

know you love you some ISO, and (before tonight) Morse's was 94 points lower this season than last.Yup, injuries will do that. And MIkey Mo does seem to be a bit injury prone. But, its still better than Jayson Werth #5 hitter. Davey Johnson could easily sit Morse and play Tyler Moore or Bernadina or even Rick Ankiel while he was still with the club. I don't see Davey benching him.If Morse can avoid injury he's pretty damned good … and even when he is he manages to hit close to .300 consistently. That's consistent offense.

150. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM

How about adding 2 runs here in the 7th so Davy can feel safe enough to bring in Gorzelany.

151. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Peric, The only problem with Espi hitting right handed is that he has done the switch hitting since he was 5, so that is almost 20 year that he has to erase. I don't see him going to the winter leagues to un learn that. That would make him a part time player and not a high upside player. Luke didn't sound to high on Espi when he reported the Rendon move to 2B.

152. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Morse hits into way too many double plays. Until tonight, his OPS was lower than Roger's.

153. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

No, only you do except when Lannan is doing well as thats the only time you disappear.Well? He barely escaped alive? 5 and 1/3 innings? 82 pitches? Why did Davey come out and rescue him just like Riggleman and Manny used to. Why?Duke looks better if you ask me.

154. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I love DeRo getting a hit there. The man can still hit. and Eury just stealing 2b. that is just great!

155. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Michele, even if you try to have an intelligent conversation with peric he will insult you. Some things never change. Morse hasn't really been at full strength all year long. If tonight is an indication that he's getting over his various ailments that is great news for the playoffs. Bernadina has been a great member of the Goon Squad, but he's no Mickey Morse.Nice recovery by Gio. Never would have predicted a quality start after the first two innings. Well done.

156. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

222 my mom always taught me to keep trying. It's a character flaw.BTW Peric, you never responded to my offer of buying you a beverage of your choice during the Playoffs so we can have a friendly disagreement about Werth.

157. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Luke didn't sound to high on Espi when he reported the Rendon move to 2B.He's always a bit flip … kind of sardonic. That's his writing style. If he really didn't like Espy he'd be making arcane, sarcastic, cynical jokes about him. As for Morse's OBP he's not a table setter. He's supposed to drive in runs from the #4 or #5 spot.

158. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM

WODLThe GIDP with Morse is a function of the hurt hand and diminished power. He's already had more of them this year than last, in fewer ABs.When he's clicking, those grounders turn into XBH.

159. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:22 AM

BTW Peric, you never responded to my offer of buying you a beverage of your choice during the Playoffs so we can have a friendly disagreement about Werth.Sure maybe in Atlanta. I'll be risking the tomahawk choppers.

160. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

A Mom story to share:She has Natititude now. How did she come by this? Not b/c I have been to ooddles of games, not b/c she spent 52 years with a man that loved baseball. NOPE. Wolf Blitzer. She saw Wolf on CNN talking about the Nats and she had to call me all excited about DC baseball. I hope this translates into her wanting to go to games during spring training.

161. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Peric; Playoffs In DC.

162. Joe Seamhead - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

WODL, Do you know who has the all time record for hitting into double plays? Maybe you would have benched Cal Ripkin Jr, too?

163. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Michele, even if you try to have an intelligent conversation with peric he will insult you. Some things never change. I did not that Luke has finally come around on Trevor Holder and Nate Karns … I got trashed enough for stating my strong belief in the character of those two prospects. Even made fun of a few times here and on Nats Prospects …My vindication and revenge is ripe … so of course I am going to feed trash talk to all the infidels.

164. phil dunton - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Please, please, no Clippard tonight. I can't stand to watch him try to pitch anymore. He has obviously caught the Henry Rodriguez disease.

165. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM

peric said… Well? He barely escaped alive? 5 and 1/3 innings? 82 pitches? Why did Davey come out and rescue him just like Riggleman and Manny used to. Why?Duke looks better if you ask me. September 27, 2012 9:16 PM __________________________________At least your consistency of hatred on Lannan never changes. He pitches in a high stress game against a team that has dominated him.He got some poor fielding to go with his good fielding and it cost him. Easily could have been a no run effort.

166. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

1 run with the heart of the order up with bases loaded and no outs and you get only 1 run?Sorry, that is disappointing.

167. NatsNut - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

222, I love FP too, but I know what you're saying. It just doesn't bother me when he does it. I attribute his constant tone of being so impressed to his own vow to himself to never forget how hard the game is.

168. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Ugh. Braves just broke their game open. 6-2 in bottom of 7th. We're just going to have to do this ourselves in St. Louis. Marlins are hopeless.

169. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Wow. No Gorzelany again..Hmmm?

170. Joe Seamhead - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

MicheleS, when you mentioned Dave Kingman I knew that you meant the tape measure home runs that he crushed, and everybody knew Dave struck out a bunch. Your post certainly didn't deserve a snarky put down. I find your contributions to this board to be cheerfully refreshing.

171. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

NN, you and Michele are just really nice people. That's all there is to it. And I'm just ornery. But at least we can agree that Dibble was an abomination. :-)

172. Section 222 - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

NJ, if Davey's not using Gorzo in this game, it's hard to see why he'd have him on the postseason roster.

173. Exposremains - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Marlins really have something against Nats, they do everything to beat them and then do everything to lose against Braves.

174. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

175. Exposremains - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Did you see how Utley tried so hard to get hit by that 1st pitch.

176. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

222 Growing up in Chicago, I had to suffer Hawk, so unless someone is a total blowhard HOMER like that (my ears bleed), then I am okay with a little homerism. Being ornery is okay just means you are trying to keep him honest. And after reading some of his interviews FP does really try to work at getting better. SO HI FP. 222 would like you to tone down the homerism a little, but most of us think it's okay

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I hate the Marlins they play us hard and hardly try against the Braves

178. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Peric, I was referring to the BOMBS. Good lord.Morse is pretty strong … incredible for an ex shortstop.

179. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM

180. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Not sure how anyone can pick on MicheleS. Always makes good posts and is also a good person.Yes and you are also her clique-mate sitting in the high school cafeteria except its at a Nats game along with Natsjack …Ho hum sometimes it gets booooooring!

181. NatsNut - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Manassas, you owe Exposremains a coke!

182. hiramhover - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I hope our esteemed host will ask Davey some time what's up with Gorzo. Catching Morse's homer is the only action he's seen in 2 wees.

183. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM

It would be nice to see another guy who could really mash in his day … line drive laser beam home runs that no one else could duplicate. Frank Howard.Be nice if they could give him some role maybe ride a segway along with Teddy during the president's race? Too much Expos not enough long suffering DC.

184. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

MicheleS said… Gonat.. no worries, I have 2 older sisters that were experts at dishing out insults. Makes you thick skinned. September 27, 2012 9:40 PM _________________________________Sure, when they were 10 years old. I think Peric is over 45 from my guesstimates of his talking DC baseball.

185. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hiram/NatsJack. Good question on Gorzo. Very curious. He did do a long side session the other day, but never came in.WOW Desi in as the 2b, making a great stab!

186. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I hope our esteemed host will ask Davey some time what's up with Gorzo. Next Beltway Baseball. If a whole gaggle of us ask maybe he'll ask. He's out there catching home runs with his cap instead of pitching?

187. peric - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Sure, when they were 10 years old. I think Peric is over 45 from my guesstimates of his talking DC baseball.Kettle calling the pot black again there Gonat? Yeah right dude … as they say in Church let he who is without sin cast the first stone. It sure as hell ain't you mr. five year old.

188. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Ray Moffo ‏@RayMoffo #Phillies fan ejected for taunting #Nats fan gets biggest cheer from crowd at CBP since 1st inning.

189. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Good to see Sean have a good outing as well. If he is right again, that's a big plus for us.

190. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Peric, I'm a kid. You're an adult.

191. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

PHIL.. Get the Maalox out NOW!

192. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I never said that I would bench a healthy Morse, but if he isn't healthy, then his speed or lack thereof, becomes highly detrimental. I think he generally plays a decent left field, but Bernadina is most likely a better fielder.

193. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Peric. I'm only going to post this once.This site is a social community that attracts fans of the Washington Nationals of all levels of baseball expertise.Since it is a social community, a certain level of social skills are required to fully partake of all the varied levels of expertise.Most of us have made it a point to put a face and a real personality with our site names by actually meeting each other and exchanging pleasantries on a personal levelPlease develope some social skills.

194. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM

NatsJack, very nicely said. Real people, real names, real posts.NatsJack and SteveM bring it and keep it real.

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM

It is always a fine line between making a site interesting and having it either go off into snarkiness, or at the other extreme, be somewhere where people are only allowed to sing Kumbaya….

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Thats the Klip!

197. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Thanks Gonat! Well said NatsJack!

198. Steady Eddie - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Holding breath for Clip; looking like he MAY be back (tho Nix is not the most severe test, when Clip doesn't have it, anyone is a test).Now let's see with Ruf and Brown.

199. Gonat - Sep 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

William, the mood here changes as the team goes through the W/L swings.

200. MicheleS - Sep 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

WODL.. Nothing wrong with being critical. Some are glass half empty others glass half full. Points about Morse vs Other Fielders is good thing. Morse hasn't been 100% this year, which may detract from both his hitting and his fielding. Hopefully he can be healthy for the next month, because his bat is sorely needed in this line up.