Sep 27, 2012, 5:21 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Nationals fans in Philly applaud Jayson Werth following an 8-4 victory.
PHILADELPHIA — For John Lannan, the moment came in the bottom of the third, when faced with a bases-loaded jam he struck out Ryan Howard and got Carlos Ruiz on a comebacker.
For Jayson Werth, the moment came in the top of the ninth, when faced with a riled up Phillies crowd in what had become a one-run game he delivered a two-run dagger of a base hit to silence the angry mob.
And for the Nationals, the moment came a few minutes later, when Drew Storen got John Mayberry Jr. to ground out harmlessly to third base and seal an 8-4 victory that moved this team one step closer to the NL East crown and exorcised some Philadelphia demons in the process.
“A big game, a big outing for John,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “That was a huge win for us.”
They’re all huge at this stage of the calendar year, each win lowering the magic number — it’s now down to 4 — and reducing the plausibility of a last-minute flip-flop of teams atop the NL East standings.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays