Sep 27, 2012, 5:21 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Nationals fans in Philly applaud Jayson Werth following an 8-4 victory.
PHILADELPHIA — For John Lannan, the moment came in the bottom of the third, when faced with a bases-loaded jam he struck out Ryan Howard and got Carlos Ruiz on a comebacker.
For Jayson Werth, the moment came in the top of the ninth, when faced with a riled up Phillies crowd in what had become a one-run game he delivered a two-run dagger of a base hit to silence the angry mob.
And for the Nationals, the moment came a few minutes later, when Drew Storen got John Mayberry Jr. to ground out harmlessly to third base and seal an 8-4 victory that moved this team one step closer to the NL East crown and exorcised some Philadelphia demons in the process.
“A big game, a big outing for John,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “That was a huge win for us.”
They’re all huge at this stage of the calendar year, each win lowering the magic number — it’s now down to 4 — and reducing the plausibility of a last-minute flip-flop of teams atop the NL East standings.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)
- Nationals' asking price high on Storen, Clippard