Sep 28, 2012, 4:36 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse rounds the bases after hitting his first of two homers.
PHILADELPHIA — They’ve won 95 games, matching the franchise record. They’ve won more games than they’ve lost every month this season. They’ve played .643 ball since snapping a five-game losing streak in Miami on August 29, clubbing 51 homers during those 28 games.
But as the final week of the regular season arrives, the Nationals have yet to celebrate anything, aside from the fact they’re guaranteed to play at least one playoff game in October.
Even with Thursday night’s 7-3 thumping of the Phillies, the Nationals only inched closer to the NL East title. Their magic number now at 3, they can’t clinch the division until Saturday night in St. Louis at the earliest.
For that, they can thank the scorching-hot Braves, who simply won’t concede the East without putting up a fight right down to the wire. Winners in 10 of their last 12, they remain four games back with six to play, still needing a miracle to overtake Washington but refusing to help their rivals finish the job.
“Take nothing for granted,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I know if we win three more, we’re in, we win the pennant. That’s all I want everybody in that room to figure on.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup