Sep 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Edwin Jackson faces his former Cardinals teammates tonight at Busch Stadium.
ST. LOUIS — The Nationals weren't able to clinch their first NL East title in Philadelphia this week — which had more to do with the way the Braves played than the Nats — but perhaps there would be some symbolism should they manage to clinch this weekend in St. Louis, where one year ago the Cardinals celebrated their 11th World Series championship.
There's no chance of a champagne celebration tonight, not with the magic number at 3, though the Nationals can put themselves in position to do it tomorrow if they can win this series opener. (Or, of course, if the Braves lose their series opener to the Mets, on Chipper Jones Night in Atlanta. Probably best not to count on that happening.)
Edwin Jackson, owner of a 2011 Cardinals World Series ring, gets the start for the Nationals, looking to become the fifth member of this year's rotation to win 10 games. He'll be opposed by Adam Wainwright, whose first season back from Tommy John surgery hasn't quite been up to his pre-surgery standards.
Updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 8:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels