Sep 28, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper's late-season surge has put him back in the Rookie of the Year race.
By Chase Hughes
As the MLB playoff race began to heat up after the All-Star break, and as Bryce Harper cooled down, the non-stop comparison between Harper and fellow rookie Mike Trout faded away as the season's biggest storyline. Trout ascended to a prime AL MVP candidate, and Harper started looking like the 19-year-old rookie that he was.
But while Trout has continued to out-pace Harper over the course of the entire season, recently it's been Harper with the better numbers. Over the last month, the Nationals center fielder has outperformed Trout in nearly every statistical category.
Take a look at their splits over the last four weeks…
G AVG OPS HR RBI R 3B SB
Harper 25 .305 .988 6 13 23 4 4
Trout 24 .247 .750 3 4 18 0 5
Harper’s batting average is 58 points higher and he has the edge in OPS by 238 points. Not only are the differences significant, but so is theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September