Game 158: Nats at Cardinals

Sep 29, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals go for their first-ever NL East title tonight at Busch Stadium.

ST. LOUIS — On Sept. 29, 2004, then-mayor Anthony Williams stood before a crowd at City Museum and announced Major League Baseball was returning to Washington, D.C. Though they didn't know yet what the soon-to-be-relocated Montreal Expos would be named, Williams and other officials wore red caps with a curly W logo on the front, the old Senators cap.

Exactly eight years later, a group of Washington Nationals wearing the same logo on their caps could have the opportunity to dog-pile in the middle of the diamond at Busch Stadium, celebrating their first-ever NL East crown and the first title of any kind for a D.C. baseball team since the 1933 Senators clinched tRHPhe AL pennant.

Two things must happen for that scene to play out: 1) The Nationals must defeat a hot Cardinals team that could be within one day of clinching its own postseason berth, and 2) The Braves must lose for the second consecutive night to the Mets. Both games will be taking place simultaneously, so there will be plenty of scoreboard watching from the Nats dugout.

The man on the mound trying to win this potential milestone game will be Jordan Zimmermann, a major piece of the organization's long-term building plan and certainly an appropriate pitcher to take the ball tonight. His teammates face a stiff challenge in Kyle Lohse (16-3, 2.77 ERA), though the Nationals did rough up the right-hander for eight runs four weeks ago in D.C.

Buckle up, folks. This could be a night to remember. I'll have all the updates right here, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 7:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 67 degrees, Wind 4 mph LF to RF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM

How awesome is this season? Go, Jordan! Go, NATS!!

2. waddu eye no - Sep 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

!!!!!!!!

3. Another_Sam - Sep 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I tink tonight is the night.

4. Doc - Sep 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Kyle Lohse is pitching a way over his career head. Let's hope that his arm catches up with his head, like it did the last time we faced him!!GoooooooooHarps!!!! GooooooNats!!!!

5. Michael Dempsey - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

If we do not clinch today we could clinch tomorrow which is the anniversary of the final game for the Senators: Sept. 30, 1971.Short Stinks!

6. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Exactly eight years later, a group of Washington Nationals wearing the same logo on their caps could have the opportunity to dog-pile in the middle of the diamond at Busch Stadium, celebrating their first-ever NL East crown and the first title of any kind for a D.C. baseball team since the 1933 Senators clinched the AL pennant.You really need to quit assuming this is going to happen tonight, Mark. You know what they say about assuming things. It's much more likely that the Nationals will be coming home having to clinch on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday against the Phillies, at the very same time they're celebrating the legacy of a mascot famed for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. What could possibly go wrong?

7. SonnyG10 - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Ok, Nats, let's knock down the magic number again tonight. GYFNG!!!

8. original Nats Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Cards are tough, but the Nats can win this one. And go, Mets!

9. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

10. Steady Eddie - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

As someone who (along with my future wide) graduated from the high school bearing the name of the original Nats' greatest player, only four months before my much-loved expansion Senators final game, I have long been taught by baseball events to be cautious and recognize the potential for disappointment until the fat lady sings. Nonetheless, I think, Feel Wood, that "you really need to quit" telling our esteemed host here what he should or shouldn't write. He wrote "could have the opportunity", which is entirely true as it's conditional and not an assumption. How many qualifiers do you want him to pile on here? I'm going to take some circumspect enjoyment out of the potential of the evening in the midst of a thrilling roller coaster of a season, and if the magic number is greater than zero tomorrow morning, look forward hopefully to tomorrow's games.

11. Steady Eddie - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Meanwhile, the Jays have held on to beat the Yanks, which I'm going to take as a good omen for the defeat tonight of long-dominant teams in the NL.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

13. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Nonetheless, I think, Feel Wood, that "you really need to quit" telling our esteemed host here what he should or shouldn't write.He wrote "could have the opportunity", which is entirely true as it's conditional and not an assumption.He's been predicting potential clinch scenarios (incorrectly, I might add) every day for a week. I told him ONCE that he should quit doing that. Lighten up, Francis.

14. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM

He's not assuming it's going to happen tonight. He's saying it's possible for it to happen tonight, which is true with the magic number at 2.He's got the lede for his story written already, and has published it already. That's no better than the store that was already selling Nationals Division Champion T-shirts.

15. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Speaking of which, I don't mind saying that those things were pretty danged ugly, imho. I like the Natitude ones better. :-)That's no better than the store that was already selling Nationals Division Champion T-shirts.

16. LoveDaNats - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I understand, Feel Wood, to want something so bad you are afraid to hope for it for fear of being disappointed. I'm not saying that's how you're feeling but this last week of baseball has been about as tense as it gets. And we're not even in the playoffs yet! What a mess I will be. But, it " hurts so good" watching these games, ( even stinkers like last night).Go boys! I'd love for them to clinch tonight but secretly hope its Tuesday at Nats park when I'm there. :)

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Ryan Howard just dropped the weighted warm-up bat on his foot and broke it.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM

In more disappointing news, David Wright wont play tomorrow vs Kris Medlen.

19. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I should perhaps clarify that I only know that because I saw a story about it that included a picture of said shirt, which I did not attempt to purchase. :-)Speaking of which, I don't mind saying that those things were pretty danged ugly, imho. I like the Natitude ones better. :-)

20. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Ouch. I think maybe if one looked up "snake-bit" in the dictionary, his picture would be there.Ghost Of Steve M. said… Ryan Howard just dropped the weighted warm-up bat on his foot and broke it. September 29, 2012 4:31 PM

21. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Oof, not me. I want it to happen sooner rather than later. I don't need to be there. (Hi, Davey!) kaithxbai. :-)I'd love for them to clinch tonight but secretly hope its Tuesday at Nats park when I'm there. :)

22. Section 222 - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM

If you're going to complain about writing the lede for a story in advance, you probably think it's wrong for him to write his Instant Analysis during the 8th and 9th innings so he can post it immediately after the last out. And who knows what you think about having a 10,000 word obituary of a notable person in the can so it can be published the day after he or she dies. Lots of us have been enjoying talking about clinching scenarios for the few weeks. zregime first wrote "We got this" on Sept. 5. I said "the Phillies are toast" on Sept. 6. Neither bit of optimism has had the least bit of effect on what has actually transpired. Our magic number is 2. I'm enjoying this, just like I've enjoyed this entire month of September baseball, the first time we've played meaningful baseball in that month since I started following this team in 2005

23. baseballswami - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I keep thinking that, for once, I just want something to be easy. I want the Nats to dominate throughout the game so there is no stress. I want the Braves to be waay behind their entire game so there is no stress. But, then I think – that's just not how we roll. If there is not adrenaline and extreme nail-biting, then it's just not a Nats game. But, maybe, just for one golden night? Maybe? Nah – don't count on it. It's the hard way, every step of the way, for us I fear. Go Nats — scratch and claw and grind and battle. Starting pitchers have been terrifying in September. Would love some nice Nats Bats!

24. waddu eye no - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Wow. Must have been wearing steel toed sneakers to break a weighted bat. Oh, wait. I get itGyfng

25. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I hope they win the East on a win — and not two Braves losses. Go Nats.

26. baseballswami - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

27. NatsNut - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Oh fer goodness sakes, Feel Wood, now you're being silly.Mark is a WRITER not a fan. So what if he has his lede already written? He's not predicting anything. From 10 days ago on, we ALL have been looking forward to the next day we could clinch fercryingoutloud. What the he** else is he gonna talk about?! The bullpen catcher? Not to mention the fact that through tweets, in-game updates, previews, instant analyses, etc., he gives us about 10 stories a day. Just cuz you're a little tense doesn't mean Mark is doing his job wrong. Sheesh.

28. baseballswami - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM

NatsFan SS — I agree – I want no backing into it. That being said — it just galls me that it's going to take more than 95 freaking wins to take the division. Some of these other teams have clinched with way fewer. Our division is a beast.

29. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yes, Mike Dempsey: may Bob Short rot in Baseball Hell where all the t.v.'s are tuned into Soccer and NBA games 24/7/eternity

30. NatsFanSinceStart - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

To Natsfan: I know what you mean. I was there two thursdays ago when we clinched the playoff berth — that was some kinda fun. Clinching the division would be a multiple of 100 that.

31. waddu eye no - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Mark -Is shameless self promo allowed? If not , delete thus:http://www.mutualinspirations.org/events/forman-s-triumph-amadeus/See me sing a free post game opera

32. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If you're going to complain about writing the lede for a story in advance, you probably think it's wrong for him to write his Instant Analysis during the 8th and 9th innings so he can post it immediately after the last out. And who knows what you think about having a 10,000 word obituary of a notable person in the can so it can be published the day after he or she dies.I don't care if he writes it or even storyboards it in advance. He shouldn't be publishing it in advance. If nothing else, that's a sure guarantee that whatever he's written will likely prove irrelevant.

33. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

And on E-Jax, you're entitled to your opinion, but do you really think our rotation this year would have been as good with Lannan for the full year instead of E-Jax?Take a look at Jackson's line for this season and compare it with Lannan's lines for his last couple of full seasons. Jackson's line is no better, so yes, I would say Lannan could easily have done what Jackson did.If Rizzo thought that Lannan was as good as E-Jax, he could have had him in the bigs and saved the Lerners $11 million plus the cost of Lannan's bus tickets back and forth to Syracuse. I don't think their respective performances this year have changed his assessment.Rizzo didn't sign Jackson because he was unsure of what Lannan could do. He signed him because he was unsure of Detwiler. I don't fault him for signing Jackson. It was a good move. But that doesn't mean that he automatically needs to keep him.

34. Joe Seamhead - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Wow. I'm sure gonna be glad when it's not so snarly in here.Bartender! Chill pills all around.Back to the smoker. Pulled pork soon come. Just like the NL East title.GYFNG,!!!

35. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I don't know. I was responding to Ghost, who posted it.baseballswami said… natsfan1a – that Ryan Howard thing – is that today? Did that actually happen? Talk about snake bit. The guy could barely run at all this season as it is. September 29, 2012 4:43 PM

36. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Found it. Ryan Howard link. Again, ouch.

37. NatsLady - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM

MLB ‏@MLBRyan Howard broke toe when he dropped pipe he swings in on deck circle. @Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said he won't play again this year.

38. Doc - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Thanks for the up-date on Ryan Howard, Steve M.!Who switched the extra-weighted bat, must have been a Nats' fan???

39. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I like diet Dr. Pepper, NatsLady. :-)

40. Steady Eddie - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Joe, I've been taking various "stuff" for a bad back — caused by lugging 19 cases of wine and beer to, and hours of dancing at my daughter's wedding last Saturday — so I've been fairly successful at feeling no pain. But if you could send over some of that pulled pork, I do have some Dominion Ale left in the fridge I could share…. ;-)

41. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Michael Dempsey said… "If we do not clinch today we could clinch tomorrow which is the anniversary of the final game for the Senators: Sept. 30, 1971. Short Stinks!"Addendum: Short STILL Stinks

42. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

The Perrier is on ice. Six words:Let's Go Nats!Let's Go Mets!And (More Words): GYFNG!!

43. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Ryan Howard is either the dumbest player in baseball (a competition with multiple worthy candidates), or the unluckiest.

44. Kevin - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

45. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Did not see that. Did see something about him pitching in a WBC qualifier last week. Atta way, Shawn.

46. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Story about Hill's going from WBC game to bigs.

47. m20832 - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Let's Gitterdunn Boys of October!GYFNG!!!

48. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Of course Svrluga, who, uh, really admired Hill's sinker, would be right on top of it. :-)Barry Svrluga ‏@barrysvrlugaOld-time Nats fans: star-crossed RHP Shawn Hill — he of 2 TJ surgeries and countless mysterious ailments — won a major league game today.

49. Frediemac - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Kevin said… Did anyone else notice that former Nat Shawn Hill got the win for the Blue Jays over the Yankees today? September 29, 2012 5:28 PM ———————————————–WOW!

50. peric - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Kilgore calls this the Nats rubber stamp lineup. Time for Espinosa to get another shot of something! I should check and see if Natsfarm Brian Oliver weighed in on Rendon playing 2nd in the AZ fall league. I wonder … perhaps Danny would prefer to play shortstop? And has made that known through the appropriate channels? Perhaps that's why?Shawn Hill? Former Nats assistant GM there … he seems to covet the Nats talent reservoir at times.

51. peric - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

But that doesn't mean that he automatically needs to keep him. Actually, they could use another left-hander. I think Drew mentioned David Price. Have to admit if Rizzo is going for someone this offseason I would think he'd be the guy. Three lefties against the Phillies and the Brave … three power pitcher potential Cy Young lefties. But, I guess we'll see.

52. peric - Sep 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Addendum:Short STILL StinksHe's deceased but his evil spectre haunts Angelos.And Angelos definitely still stinks.

53. NatsNut - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yay for Shawn Hill! I wonder if he remembers us from NJ.;)

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Ryan Howard looks old before his time.

55. mick - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

56. mick - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I know this has been brought up here before and both Phil Wood and Cue-ball head (I love Mike, just having fun)have discussed this from both a sentimental standpoint and a public relations one.The Nationals need to invite on the house, all the old timers who are still alive ( I have heard about 6 to 8 from 1933 and one from 1925) who attended the last Nats World Series games. Have them on the filed prior to the game and announce them over the PA by name, tell them that you boys or gals of many summer ago have finally come home, have them sit behind the Nats dugout. That would truly be a "Night to Remember" and there would not be a dry in Nats Park

57. Section 222 - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Shawn Hill is also Canadian. That might be why the Blue Jays were interested in him, as opposed to Nats envy.We can dream about adding David Price to the rotation, but he won't be a free agent until 2016. I doubt any of us would be willing to give up what the Rays would undoubtedly ask for to give up such a valuable player. Probably more than the A's did for Gio.

58. mick - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

peric I curse Bob Short for all time, and when I move on, hopefully many, many years from now, I will boot him in his ass, lol

59. mick - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said…Michael Dempsey said…"If we do not clinch today we could clinch tomorrow which is the anniversary of the final game for the Senators: Sept. 30, 1971.Now that would be fitting as I just got chills!!!

60. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Ryan Howard is gettin' paid until he qualifies for social security (2018 or something like that).Don't cry for him, Argentina.

61. MicheleS - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ok tonight 2 rows behind nats dugout. I am sitting ride behind KristinaAkra

62. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Have fun, MicheleS!

63. Tom in AR - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It was Mr. Howard, in the on deck circle, with the lead pipe.

64. natsfan1a - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM

LOL, Tom. I suppose that Col. Mustard (a flamethrower) was on the mound. :-)

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Mick no way I will kick Bob Short's rear when I die.nor will you I assume as I will make it heaven and know no way Short will be there.

66. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM

We can dream about adding David Price to the rotation, but he won't be a free agent until 2016. I doubt any of us would be willing to give up what the Rays would undoubtedly ask for to give up such a valuable player.Give them Rendon, Detwiler and a couple of lower prospects. That should be plenty.

67. Feel Wood - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

MicheleS said… Ok tonight 2 rows behind nats dugout. I am sitting ride behind KristinaAkraThen you'll be the one not yelling "down in front."

68. MicheleS - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Wearing gio blue t shirt

69. JaneB - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Phew! Got my GYFNG in under the wire. And I'll be looking for you MichelleS! What a perfectly timed trip!

70. NatsNut - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Okay folks. Hold on tight cuz here we go.

71. NatsNut - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Oh yea. GYFNG!

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Get harper in

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Ok morse no double play

74. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Sure looked like a tater…

75. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hit the Energizer sign…Grand Slam

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hr

77. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

What ever happened to the yellow lines on top of the fences…It's so hard to see a HR with these new fences…

78. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

HAHA!!! Hilarious

79. JaneB - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Oh, I hope this makes Edwin feel better!

80. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Now I've seen everything

81. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Apparently the Nats had to play shadow ball to get credit for the Grand Slam!

82. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Mr. Morse should have gone back to the left-handed batter's box and then tried to get credit (half credit?) for a switch-hit home run.

83. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Haha…if he really had to "rewind" back to home plate, shouldn't Morse have been running backwards?

84. Steady Eddie - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Usually Cards fans are better tempered than to boo at such a juncture but it's understandable under those bizarre circumstances. If I was a Cards fan there I' be saying WTF?But it looks like a lot of empty seats for a big game like this at this point in the season.

85. bluejeener - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Still laughing my ass off at the charades home run. There is some kind of karmic message there, but it eludes me.

86. MicheleS - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM

That grand slam was ridiculous!

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I am old man with bad eyes and saw the ricochet and called it a homer way early . Just figured umps would hose us.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM

96 Runs for Harper

89. Steady Eddie - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Swift — that would be funny but you fon't want to mess with umps who are so confused.Did they even make the HR sign? Or did the Beast have to do his little pantomime first?Crazy. But of course we'll all VERY happily take that any game!

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Might have been most pathetic swing of season by Suzuki

91. Drew - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Bryce Harper's historic season, continued: With his first inning single, he caught Hall of Famers Al Kaline and George Davis in base hits. He could catch another Hall of Famer tonight.Hits in year 19 season:1. Buddy Lewis, 175, for 1936 Nats2. Bob Kennedy, 150, for 1940 Chisox3. Robin Yount, 149, for 1975 Brewers4. Mel Ott, 140, for 1928 Giants5. Bryce Harper, 139, for 2012 Nats(Tie) Al Kaline, 139, for 1954 TigersGeorge Davis, 139, for 1890 Cleveland Spiders

92. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

You're right Eddie, don;t want to confuse the umps..They made the HR sign when Morse returned to the batters box, and the other runners returned to their bases…

93. slidell2 - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Lohse at 48 pitches in 2 innings.

94. NatsLady - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Who said David Wright wasn't playing? I see him on Gameday.

95. Swift Eagle - Sep 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Pitching with a lead, Jordan needs to keep throwing strikes and make them earn it..StL is a good hitting team and will score some runs, just can't give them free base runners…He looks promising so far

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Still scared to death of the Cards hitting.

97. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

You're right MNF, StL can hit…but I know you hate walks even more! LolJordan has to throw strikes, and understand that good hitters will smack some of them…

98. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for the link Nats Lady…Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that if you are against The Chop (or the Wave), then just don't participate…I mean, imagine all the poor sharks who are offended when Roger Bernadina enters a game at Nats Park…

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Nats Lady they said no Wright tomorrow.Walks before hits my pet peeve for sure. Walk 8 or 9 batters biggest crime

100. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Missed last night's game an no way was I going back to read the game thread. Had this game on DVR and still can't get over the HR pantomime by Morse. Never seen anything like that before. GYFNG!I have a sparkling beverage in the fridge, just in case…

101. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Did FP just say J Zim is one of the fastest guys on the team? He met have meant pitchers

102. Section 3, My Sofa - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

And if they clinch tonight or tomorrow, that Phillies series won't be a problem because the Phillies are eliminated and the Nats have already clinched.I think I read that somewhere, in some prediction…

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Keep going Jordan.

104. A DC Wonk - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

105. Section 3, My Sofa - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Znn was a wide receiver in college, I think, and then again, they aren't overloaded with burners, exactly, so maybe 6th fastest guy on the Nats isn't that big a deal.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Sec, yes JZim was a wide receiver.

107. A DC Wonk - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Late to the party, but, Feel Wood, I think you are 100% "off base" on the above.I think it's essentially obligatory that, when the magic number reaches two at the start of a day (where both teams — i.e., the Nats and Braves are playing), that writers point out that "today could be the day they clinch."Because, after all, it is the first day all season where one can make that statement, which happens to be 100% true.And, for that reason, any good reporter should point that out, no?

108. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Nats need add-on runs!

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Lead off man on . again.

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

We sre getting balls over the middle of the plate and not bothering to swing.we are wasting lead off hits

111. Section 3, My Sofa - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

All right, if we're still weighing in, I gotta go contrarian here, and side with FeelWood. He was half in jest, for one thing; for another, Mark's a big boy, he can take a light-hearted shot like that, I'm sure, and sleep fine tonight; and, how to say this … you have to consider the source.

112. Exposremains - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Bob could really do a better job at hiding how much he loves his Cards. You'd think all of their players are HOF.

113. Steady Eddie - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I don't mind the rookie HP ump giving Lohse his corners — except that he's blatantly squeezing JZimm on even better pitches. Yet he's still got 47 strikes on 72 pitches.

114. Steady Eddie - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Nice to see Lohse K on 3 foul bunts when JZimm laid down such a slick SB in his last AB.

115. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Oh Espi, please lay off those too-high heaters! He looks to me to be pressing again.

116. NatsNut - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Steady, that sentence had more acronyms than a federal agency. LOL Funny that we all know what it means too.

117. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Oh Danny! Will u ever lay off the hi heat?

118. Another_Sam - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM

IMHO LOL 2

119. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Coke coming my way from Scott!

120. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Lol. I was on dvr 10 min behind. I do owe a coke or beer though

121. NatsNut - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I 'm listening to Charlie and Dave and I cracked up when Morse went back to mime his home run because Charlie instantly made the call as if it just happened again. I just watched the video replay and I'm cracking up all over again because Bob did the exact same thing.

122. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Abe Lincoln called, wants Muijica to give back the beard…

123. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Lead off hit by J Bay in the 8th…

124. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Braves turn 2, Oh well…

125. Drew - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Harper's 140th hit ties Mel Ott for fourth best by a 19-year-old.

126. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Bout time for Kimbrell to take a BS+Loss. C'mon Mets.

127. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:32 AM

That looked like it hit the ball person in foul territory…Should have been a GR Double

128. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Ah, Maybe not

129. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Did someone put the the strike zone in the dryer? It sure looks like it has shrunk.

130. Melissa Rabey - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Have no idea why Davey's letting Zimmermann stay in. After giving up the double to Kozma, it seems like bringing in Burnett would have been wiser. [tries not to bite nails]

131. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM

What was Davey waiting for? Mades it hard on Burnett.

132. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Atl TV guys just said "If Stl gets it to the Nats bullpen, funny things will happen"….

133. Melissa Rabey - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Aiiiiiiiieeeeee. Do not panic do not panic do not panic . . .

134. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Damn it. We gotta hit middle innings better. Like a rerun

135. NatsNut - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Oh gawd.

136. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I really do not have a problem with Zim staying in… my problem is with the GARBAGE in blue calling balls and strikes, once again another punk umpire with little man's disease trying to dictate a well played game, I am so sick of it!On the Nats end, I think Espi and Desi can give better efforts at bat, especially Espi

137. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Kimbrel just hit Wright and the umpire with the same pitch!

138. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Not understanding this. Collings put Ike Davis in????

139. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:42 AM

we need to take care of our own business, who cares what Braves do

140. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM

My stomach hurts.

141. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM

And Davis strikes out. What a surprise.

142. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Over in Atl

143. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Nats can still clinch a tie tonight

144. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM

End of story in NY. Our turn. Good job Matthues. We NEED some insurance runs!!!!

145. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM

no problem with Burnett or Matthues or with Davey leaving in Zim…. Umpire is TERRIBLE!!Espi and Desi need to contribute some offense

146. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

147. Exposremains - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Kimbrel is good but he also gets a huge strike zone.

148. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I sure hope playing all these cupcakes late in the year hurts Atl…They got Miami without Stanton, Mets without Dickey…. It felt like Dickey pitched EVERY Nats game this year…

149. NatsNut - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I couldn't watch. I had to walk away and go wash my face and brush my teeth. Whew.

150. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

151. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Two called strikes on Duda showed to be away. In our game, strike zone has changed the other way. Crazy HR reversal, then stop in the Nats dugout tomtalk about it before they call it. Then the rewind to get the bases loaded and the pantomime swing. Geez! Now we know where the replacement NFL reps went.

152. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Mitchell Boggs walks a little like Drew does.

153. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

speaking of garbage behind the plate, you should see the called strike on Adam Jones in O's game…. maybe one of the worse calls this season… Jones was about to deck the clown.

154. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM

The political commercial are the worst, IMO, Scott.

155. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM

ehay2k lol, the clown that called a TD is behind the plate tonight in ST Louis

156. Feel Wood - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM

The problem starts in the 8th. Clipboard.

157. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Panic? Why?

158. MicheleS - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Just so you know they are starting the wave here

159. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Haha…They're as regular as the mail….

160. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Scott Margenau said…Ok…which commercial is the worst? Miracle hair, Scott's turf (hate that guy) or WB Mason (creepy)so I am not the only one, lol fr some reason I think of Penn State when I see the WB Mason commercial

161. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM

A win tonight clinches the division title for the Nats.

162. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Nats can clinch a tie with a win

163. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Desi and Espi are disappearing … this is major concern now

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I used to like Scott's until I found out they were political. What a mistake.

165. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Swift…. how? i thought it was 2 games and a win tonight now would make it 1

166. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

A tie for the division means the Nats would have to lose two home games back to back to miss the play-offs.

167. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Magic number was 2 to CLINCH…The Braves have 66 losses, so the most they can win is 96 games…Nats currently have 95…

168. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM

MichelleS, HELP THEM! That can only hurt their team. Idiots. But I'm glad they are.

169. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Nats have already clinched the playoffs

170. mick - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Swift… but would there not be a playoff game between Braves-Nat with tie?

171. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Yes, so the Nats would clinch a tie for the Division with a win tonight…

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

There would be, in Washington since we kicked their asses in the regular season head to head.

173. Drew - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM

OK Tyler, put the cover sheet on your T.F.S. reports.

174. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM

This used to be so much easier when I was rooting for the Mets in the near-post-season. I didn't love them as much as I love the Nats, though. Or else I had a lot more wine then. I do like that FP keeps reminding us this is what it's like, and enjoy it. Because it bumps me out of my tension.C'mon Typler!

175. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

A great pitch, but what was Tyler doing? Get out of the way!

176. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:03 AM

A clear Strike 3 on Pitch F/X…

177. Steady Eddie - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

That strike three was disgusting to not be called considering everything Logse got. This ump is a dolt.

178. Exposremains - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

wheres that pitch. horrible umpiring.

179. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Strike zone has shifted up and to the right (pitcher's perspective)

180. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

That's the way I used to do it….

181. Exposremains - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I hope he doesn't get tenure

182. Drew - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Sweet, fancy Rawlings!

183. Steady Eddie - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Well, at least Druuu is hot and will face the bottom of the Cards order in the ninth.Still want some insurance runs, but having Good Clip out there was a huge momentum changer.C'mon Gooner!

184. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Man, every guy in the StL pen throws serious gas…

185. ehay2k - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Feel Wood with the LoD comment even before Clip threw a pitch.

186. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Haha…and total silence when it was 4-0 ehay…

187. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM

You guys who keep bashing Harper….

188. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Harper really needs to be benched, yeah, that's the ticket….

189. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Buckle Up…

190. NatsLady - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

The Kid is amazing. Never say die. OK, Drew, your turn now. Clip did his job.

191. JaneB - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Shark!

192. Swift Eagle - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Haha..Go ahead and catch the ball above your waist there Roger…Yikes!

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Storen's stats have gone through the roof, or is that the floor, the last month, almost without notice until now….

194. Steady Eddie - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM

McCutch just hit a walk off against the Reds so a Nats win tonite gets the top seed back for now….Just Hopin'.

195. Scott Margenau - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Come on Dru!!!

196. NatsNut - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

WODL, now you're just arguing with yourself. Who said Bryce needs to be benched?

197. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Fly fishing can be great exercise and very relaxing at the same time….