Sep 30, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ross Detwiler was roughed up for seven runs (three earned) in only 2 1/3 innings.
Updated at 7:45 p.m.
ST. LOUIS — They wanted to get this thing over with.
Sure, it’s always nice to celebrate at home in front of your own fans, but the Nationals have been inching toward their first-ever division title for quite a while now, and each day that passes without them finishing it off feels like a wasted day, another day in which Davey Johnson feels forced to play all of his regulars instead of giving them a pre-postseason breather.
So the Nationals desperately wanted to celebrate at Busch Stadum Sunday afternoon, either via their own win over the Cardinals or an admittedly unlikely Braves loss at Turner Field.
“I mean, we just want to do it,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “It doesn’t matter where it’s at.”
Well, if they do it now, it will have to take place at Nationals Park. The worst-case combination of Atlanta’s 6-2 win over the Mets and Washington’s 10-4 loss in St. Louis leaves the magic number stuck on 1 and leaves the Nationals trying again for the clinch Monday night at home, with John Lannan on the mound against a Phillies club that was already eliminated from postseason contention over the weekend.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?