Game 160: Phillies at Nats

Oct 1, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park hosts the potential NL East clincher tonight.

If they had their druthers, the Nationals would have popped the champagne corks over the weekend in St. Louis. That, obviously, didn't happen but it does present a nice opportunity to clinch the NL East title at home in front of their own fans.

Officially, the Nationals have four shots to win one home game: three against the Phillies, then (in a worst-case scenario) a tiebreaker game Thursday against the Braves. Needless to say, they would really prefer to finish this thing tonight and not subject themselves to anymore torture.

John Lannan is on the mound, hoping to duplicate his solid start in Philadelphia last week. He'llLannan be up against a Phillies lineup without Ryan Howard or Jimmy Rollins. And his teammates will go up against Kyle Kendrick (who they knocked out in the third inning last week at Citizens Bank Park).

If you've got tickets to the game, hope you enjoy the experience. If you're watching at home, be sure to check back here for updates and analysis throughout…

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. alm - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Heading to the park soon – not soon enough, but I feel guilty. When I sat down to watch the game yesterday with my wife I said "I hope they clinch tomorrow when I am at the Park". She was shocked and said – "so you are rooting against them?" I said of course I wasn't but it would be nice to be in that moment when they clinch. So blam me – not Det – for yesterday. I promise I will never be selfish again oh baseball gods, just let me off the hook this once and let them win TONIGHT.Go Nats

2. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Uh, your lineup has Gio.

3. alm - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Gio Gio Gio

4. Jim Webster - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sec 103 here we come.

5. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

As a matter of fact, I do have tix, and I'm really, really hoping to enjoy the game, if you know what I mean. (wink wink. nudge nudge.)John-Boy, if you could reach back and pull out a start that will put us in line for a curly w tonight, it would be ever so awesome. I know you have it in you. All y'all position players can help out there, too, with your gloves and bats. Which is not to forget our wonderful bullpen. Oh, and our super duper manager. (Hi, Davey!)Go, Na-ats; it's my birthday.Go, Na-ats; it's my birthday. (no, really, it is) :-)

6. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

And it sounded like they would have to be eliminated on or before the play-in game in order for all the processing to take place to stop that 10/10 billing.That's alot of money for them to make interest on for a month until the refunds kick in. So be it. Seeing those World Series tickets "in the flesh" will be worth it, even if we don't make it that far… this time.

7. Steady Eddie - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Interesting — no Rollins, and Wigginton at 1B instead of moving Ruf to his natural position. I guess it's better for the Phils than moving Ty to LF.;-)

8. MicheleS - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

GO NATS! GO BATS! GO JOHN!WE GOT THIS!and Happy Birthday 1A.

9. Doc - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Poor old Suzuki, this is his 9th or 10th game in a row. The guy needs a break, even though he's been swinging a hot bat lately.

10. alm - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Zuke can rest Nov. 2Go Nats!

11. Doc - Oct 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Some of the posted lineups for tonight's game have Lannan, others have Gio!What gives??????

12. NatsLady - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Game 160. Hard to believe.

13. Feel Wood - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

That's alot of money for them to make interest on for a month until the refunds kick in. So be it. Seeing those World Series tickets "in the flesh" will be worth it, even if we don't make it that far… this time.Yet another reason many STH probably made the decision not to buy extra postseason strips to try to cash in on the secondary market. Also, imagine what it would be like trying to sell those tickets on StubHub now with them not even made available for transfer yet.

14. sm13 - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Looking forward to being there in person for some Nats history. Go Nats!

15. Feel Wood - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Doc said… Some of the posted lineups for tonight's game have Lannan, others have Gio!Lannan will be wearing #47 tonight to try and fake out the Phillies. If necessary he may even take a header at some point during the game.

16. Doc - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The hard part for Lannan will be his attempt at duplicating the cocked hat and the hairdoo. Also, nobody can take a header like Gio!

17. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

They're working on his 'do even as we speak. :-)

18. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Also, imagine what it would be like trying to sell those tickets on StubHub now with them not even made available for transfer yet.That hasn't seemed to stop the entrepreneurs from putting them up. Good seats in the Infield Gallery available for Game 1 in DC, whenever that is, starting at $125 and going up to $500.

19. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Should be heading out in another half hour or so. You may wish to cover your ears now. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Okay, I'm good.

20. ehay2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

LOL Feel Wood! If LannEn takes aheader,then we KNOW he reads this blog. Happy Birthday Natsfan1a – I hope you get your birthday wish!Mark Z. – Really? You sold us short here. Why can we not be AT the game and ALSO check back for updates, and even to post? We do have those fancy wireless typewriters, you know. (MicheleS has one that works in St. Louis!!)And, as others have noted, there is a different lefty starting.

21. Feel Wood - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Section 222 said… Also, imagine what it would be like trying to sell those tickets on StubHub now with them not even made available for transfer yet. That hasn't seemed to stop the entrepreneurs from putting them up.Yes, but if you sell tickets on StubHub via the Nationals STH site, you pay less service charge and can transfer the tickets with one click electronically, which is how buyers like to get them. Mailing physical tickets is a hassle and makes your tickets for sale less desirable.

22. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Not me, as I have a not-so-smart phone. Usually the best I can do is send out the odd random text to buddies and do my player of the game vote. :-)Thanks on the b'day wishes.

23. Feel Wood - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Doc said… The hard part for Lannan will be his attempt at duplicating the cocked hat and the hairdoo.You overestimate the Phillies. They're not that smart.

24. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

A lineup w/out Howard defeats the advantage Lannan "might" have. On the other hand, there's no alternative.

25. Gonat - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

We are bringing a large group tonight and meeting up with MicheleS in the 6th inning. This time she has to watch the rest of the game with us!Hoping to be partying in the streets after the game if you know what I mean.

26. ehay2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Sorry natsfan1a, I didn't realize Mark Z. was addressing you directly! ;-PBut you can still use the tweeter!

27. Scooter - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I'm not sure 1a has a tweeter.And if she did, she would never use it to her advantage.

28. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

ehay, I was replying to you:We do have those fancy wireless typewriters, you know.

29. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I will have you know that I do not have a tweeter, nor have I ever tweeted. (Well, maybe once, when I was startled by a sudden noise.)

30. RickH - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I'll be there! Can't wait.GYFNG!!!!!!!

31. natsfan1a - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Seriously, though, I'll tell you what I do have. Butterflies. Big time. And I don't have to do anything other than sit there and cheer my little heart out. How the heck do those guys do it every day? Go, NATS!!

32. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yes, but if you sell tickets on StubHub via the Nationals STH site, you pay less service charge and can transfer the tickets with one click electronically, which is how buyers like to get them. Mailing physical tickets is a hassle and makes your tickets for sale less desirable.Have you ever sold tickets on StubHub? The fees are the same (15% off the top) regardless of how you sell them. And no one selling tix through StubHub is mailing them. If you buy one now, you'll get it electronically. You just won't get it until the seller has it. Check out some of the listings and you'll see what I mean.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

The Nats better have a scouting report on the Ruf kid. Go get 'em John!!!

34. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I just checked and even though I haven't actually received my playoff strips, they are now "available for transfer and StubHub resale" on My Nationals Tickets. That does not include the World Series, presumably because I haven't actually been charged for them yet.

35. ehay2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

natsfan1a – I (jokingly) implied that Mark Z. knew you didn't have a fancy wireless typewriter so his note to "…enjoy the experience." was aimed at you. sigh, another weak attempt at humor requires an explanation longer than the joke itelf. :-(Has the game started yet? cuz I am going nuts until is does!

36. Scooter - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

ehay2k said…sigh, another weak attempt at humor requires an explanation longer than the joke itelf. :-(Welcome to my world.Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

37. ehay2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Now you are in the middel OF me! (my posts, anyway.)

38. Scooter - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

ew

39. Oldguy - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

UPS just delivered my tix–had to sign. Ten more minutes and I'd have left for the Park

40. Scooter - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

All right, folks, have a great game. I'll check out my tape of it later on, to see how y'all did.Man, I hope Mayberry doesn't take Lannan deep in the first.

41. Section 3, My Sofa - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

OK, that could have been phrased better, ehay.

42. Steady Eddie - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Is "get outta my posts!" like "get offa my lawn!"?Geez, start the baseball game already!

43. ehay2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Sofa, I'm not sure about that…. LOL (Oh, the game REALLY needs to start)

44. Section 3, My Sofa - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Can't stand it, gotta go early. Will try to tweeter from the park, but that's hard to do with the first-baseman's mitt on. Sitting in foul ball territory, might even get a dinger on rebound off the pole, you never know. Nice plug for Duffy's in the Post today, for those of you familiar with it, or would like to be: Duffy's: The real home of Nationals fans

45. Section 3, My Sofa - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I'll be in the Vidro #3 First Opening Day jersey, down the RF line.

46. NatsNut - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Sofa, Duffy's will def see me during playoff away games! LOVE that place.See ya'll at the park!

47. SonnyG10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I just received delivery of my playoff ticket strips via UPS about 5 minutes ago.

48. mick - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Off to the park my NI friends to see history!!!!

49. djinFl. - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Feels as exciting as opening day.Wish I was there.

50. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Enjoy the party, everybody! And Happy Birthday, 1A. No better place to celebrate.(Insert long sigh here)…I am stuck on my night job. (with a telly, however).

51. Gonat - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Mick, we are on our way and the sun has disappeared! I'm hoping Davey treats this game like its a post-season game as it should have that type of intensity from the Nats dugout.

52. SonnyG10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Thought I didn't have to sign for the tickets, but my wife answered the door and she just told me she signed for them.

53. SonnyG10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Oh, BTW, Happy Birthday natsfan1a!

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Gio named starter of Game 1

55. Gonat - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Davey, asked if he'd like to win Manager of Year: "I have bad thoughts about that. Last time I got that award, I also got my pink slip."

56. Gonat - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Happy Birthday 1a

57. peric - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Actually, I think this is one where Werth and Harper need to take it up a notch. As for Suzuki needing rest … he had plenty while the A's were grooming former Nats prospect Derrick Norris to take over his job. Lots of rest. I'm certain he feels that he needs playing time and is good to go.

58. Section 3, My Sofa - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The Teddy EyeBlack is actually EyeRed.

59. NCNatsie - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You guys all sound so excited, I'm green with envy. But I am going to get to come up for a playoff game, thanks to a friend with corporate season tickets. Can't wait.Have a great party. See You Later, as they say.

60. Melissa Rabey - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I'm working the night shift at my library tonight, so I won't even get Charlie & Dave until just after 8 and Bob & F.P. around 9. Here's hoping that we see a great ball game tonight with a great big celebration at the end. :-)

61. Doc - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I guess that we don't have to worry about Davey batting Wang tonight—or pitching him, for that matter!!!!

62. baseballswami - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

peric – agreed, Suzuki should be fresh as a daisy and I am sure that he would rather be here,playing every day, than in Oakland sitting the bench.When I saw game 160, I about choked. Seriously. So – NatsLady – how are you managing to teach private lessons? Just finished up a couple of hours and my mind is wondering tons – so hard to focus. Rehearsal tonight also and no opportunity to check even my phone. So hard to concentrate. Cheer loudly for me everyone!!! I will be checking in at about the 7th and hoping to see some good news.

63. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Gio named starter of Game 1Mark's tweet suggests it's a bit more complicated than that. The worst result would be if Gio has to pitch a full 7 or 8 innings tomorrow night because the Nats haven't clinched yet. Don't think he'd pitch in Game 1 on Saturday on short rest if the Nats don't get the No. 1 seed, do you? So let's get this over with tonight, and hope the Cards kick some Reds butt too.

64. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Gonat, MicheleS………wish I could be there with you guys. I'll be watching here in Winter Park.

65. fast eddie - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

For those of us who don't live in the DC area anymore, how about wearing signs to future games with your NI name? Then I can identify all my "imaginary" friends as I watch on MASN!(my spouse thinks we're all a little strange)

66. PFB Balls of Fire - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Have good feeling about tonight. I think it is about time to start the play-off beard.

67. Feel Wood - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

222, yes I have sold tix via StubHub. Misrembered about the fees, but the process IS easier via the STH site. And it is too possible to sell paper tix via StubHub. Buyer pays shipping, and obviously it can't be a last minute sale.

68. Secret wasian man - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Lets get an early lead.

69. Secret wasian man - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I see Gina Davis is calling balls and strikes tonight. OOOPs I read that wrong.

70. Section 3, My Sofa - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Still misting lightly, not quite a drizzle, but some open umbrellas.

71. DannyEllinosa - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hey Zuck! That was me giving you a shout behind nats dugout just now. Thanks for being the best nats writer! Love your blog and what you do! GYFNG!

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Go Nats

73. Anna Peregrina - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM

People at the park, how is the weather looking? I just can't stand it if it's rained out!

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Go Nats

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Go Nats

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Christina wants to be doused tonight

77. NatsLady - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I am teaching, but will keep the game in my ear. Hopefully by 9 pm. we will be leading 10-1 in the top of the 8th and I'll get to see the pile. Go NATS!!!!!

78. Michael J. Hayde - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I'm so rooting for John L. to pull this off; it just seems… appropriate somehow. I got his autograph on a ball when he was a P-Nat in early 2007. Just another prospect then… but on August 6, when he kept Bonds from breaking Aaron's HR record for another 24 hours, it was VERY impressive! That alone merited his two opening day starts!

79. Another_Sam - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Step 1: get the lead. Step 2: hold it. I could be in the booth. An NFL booth, that is.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Go nats

81. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wanted to be out there, but a health issue is keeping me home on the couch with MASN-HD and my imaginary friends. Let's get this done!

82. Section 222 - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Arggg lead off walks usually the kiss of death.

84. hiramhover - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Ok … Two runs. Not great, not fatal

85. Melissa Rabey - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Come on, guys, get the bats going!

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

70% Of lead off walks score. When will pitchers learn? Harper had a greatlj try but ee needed the catch.Get those runs back.

87. peric - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Look at Lannan's walk/K ratio. He walks a lot of guys. In the minors he got demolished as a result … on numerous occasions.In the majors he has yet to give up a home run … and that's the difference and why Lannan is 4 – 0, that an fifth inning rescues by Davey, saved from losing in an implosion by his offense and the bullpen.

88. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Need runs immediately

89. peric - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

That graphic said that Lannan's average change is only 3 mph slower than his average fastball. Interesting. How do they know they aren't all fastballs?If there's no sink, or they aren't spotted properly? Batting practice.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Espi beat that out.

91. SCNatsFan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Man I hope Espi makes the same leap Desi makes in the offseason

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Espi needs to shorten swing and quit swinging at balls to make the improvement.Espi put a real damper on the inning where he could be a hero.

93. phil dunton - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

That's exactly why I hate the no DH rule in the NL.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Frasden led off first and third with singles. Much better than walk

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Elias has said for years lead off walk 70% score. lrad off hit 40% Score.That walk better not come back to haunt them.also when Werth both get on we usually scores. No brainer guys get on.

96. SCNatsFan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Does amyone know where the Nats have gone… and more importantly when are they coming back?For the first time I;m more then just a little worried about this team.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I hate the DH. I want real athletes at pitcherAll but 2 hitters are not doing the job.

98. Secret wasian man - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Into I'm worried. Obviously so are FP and Carp. They are totally preoccupied with braves pirates. And why not. Looks like pirates are only chance.

99. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Gio is our best chance. What's 26 more hours among friends

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Our hitters taken night off so far. Get serious guys

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I hate losing each and every night

102. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

American League DH baseball is for sissies.

103. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Who's managing the nats? Davis Love.

104. rogieshan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Without Strasburg's presence in the rotation, the Nationals just aren't as intimidating a team to face for opposing clubs. Psychologically, it has an effect going into a series. Still hoping for the best.

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Lannan you see how Kendricks ball is sinking? Your ball is staying on the same plain.

106. ExposedinDC - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM

A Stammen sighting….welcome sight

107. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Gotta get some runs NOW

108. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Wow. Gotta really love the effort by Wigginton.

109. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Pirates tie it

110. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Ow hitters get serious. I am tired of losing. No reason to stall

111. ExposedinDC - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM

C'mon bats ….pirates tied it up, lannan escaped a big jam….lets put one across the plate.

112. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Double play by Adam La Roche and Kurt Suzuki was sponsored by Weight Watchers….

113. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Manassas on fire tonight. I with you brother. COME ON

114. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The DH Rule is one of the greatest abominations in the history of mankind, but we all know that already….

115. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Lannan has this.

116. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Just not gonna be tonight. Can't hit. FP congratulating guys for hard outs. PLEAAAAAAASE

117. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Sgt. Snorkel playing first base for the Phils….

118. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I'm switching channels and rooting for pirates. At least they have a run. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

What channel are the Pirates on? MLB?

120. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Usually this is John's last inning. If his control stays and he keeps the sink he'll make it … if he elevates those soft tosses he's toast. The sink is the way he gets to 7.

121. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

DirecTv…..baseball package….channel 659

122. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Compared to what we saw this weekend, Lannan is pitching like Greg Maddux….

123. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Lannan's closing in on 80 pitches. He hasn't been allowed past this point since one of the early double headers I reckon. And there's the walk, and Davey's sign to pull out the hook.

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM

125. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Now, the Cat visit to give Garcia time to warm up … John needs to get this out now if he wants into the 6th.

126. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM

How many $ is that going for now? Of course, those things are always a better deal when you don't live in the MASN area.You can do the same thing with mlbtv. Fewer commercials. graphical displays … great stats plus a "scout" giving you his observations. Not sure I trust the scout.

127. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Does Davey pinch hit for Lannan? Looks like it.

128. ehay2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Shark time! Common Bernie, get a big knock here!

129. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Shark is going to feed on some Feelies.

130. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Directv extra innings package goes for $239.00 or $39.95 a month for 6 months.

131. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Bucs' Starling Marte just homered. 2-1 Pirates. Bottom of the 5th.

132. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Braves are getting nervous that the Nats refuse to win a game and end this thing….

133. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Now McCutcheon has doubled to the deepest part of the park. Maholm is now officially hittable. Come on Bucs, bring it home for us. As FP and Carp said, no such thing as backing in.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Need hit Werth

135. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Thanks. It is a shame that you can't pick a package of 2 or 3 teams, but that must not be profit-maximizing.

136. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

4 innings is an eternity unless Wang comes in to pitch….

137. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I guess TB has been eliminated. They have the best run differential in the AL, or they did until the Red Sox laid down tonight.

138. NatsFan05 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

1 through 4 is 0 for 9 so far…Let go guys, got do better then this.

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

My extra inning package was $179For season. have had it 6 seasons now.

140. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

MLBTV is around $100 for the entire season. You get an iPhone app to watch games on those devices away from home.

141. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM

It's a shame we are scoreboard watching and trying to back in. I feel so cheap..

142. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM

The Barves must smell it … Thursday playoff. They might be better off losing to the Nats so that they don't have to waste Medlen on that game.

143. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM

You can get MLB.TV pretty cheap for the rest of the year, but it doesn't let you watch your home team. Good if you travel a lot though, and for watching the team you are battling for the division. I've heard enough of the obnoxious Braves announcers to last a lifetime.

144. NatsFan05 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM

SWM, I'll do cheap at this point…

145. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Why did Erth stand with not swinging. We needed the run. Did het temporarily brain locked. Right over the middle low.most of our hitters are topping the ball exactly what Kendricks wants. So swing in the middle or bottom of the ball.

146. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Different cable providers offer different packages.Brighthouse here offered theirs for $199.00 for the season but you only got one feed (not both teams) and only 2 games a night were in HD.Directv gives me all feeds and all HD.

147. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Ah spoke too soon … looks like gameday's server is really pegged fro this game … can't get it back … but mlbtv is up.

148. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Nice stirrups!

149. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

mlbtv is always in HD. If you subscribe to milbtv you even get some of those games in HD. Surprisingly.Gameday server pegged with tons of DC and ATL fans I imagine.

150. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Man I love it when our guys throw strikes.Way to go Craig!

151. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The Indians running the mlb site must be going crazy right now.

152. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

The Braves have no desire to win a meaningless NL East Pennant. Nats fans will claim a co-championship regardless. I honestly don't care that much whether we win again in the regular season but I would love to see Harper hit 3 homers.

153. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

The trick is to get the the Phillies bullpen before we get to their backend. Might already be too late. Gio on for win #22. Let's hope.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Harper hits venter of ball like I asked

155. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Doubles are good, too…. Does anyone still think Harper needs to go back down to the minors? I know that was more of a July thread, but still….

156. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM

157. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I am not sure you can say backend on a family blog….

158. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM

The Kid does it again!

159. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I have never, ever seen anyone who plays like this guy.

160. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Luv the crowd. Luv the excitement. Now lets deliver for the fans.

161. bluejeener - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Is it just me, or is that #34 kid pretty impressive?

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

We need a hit LaRoche. Zim needed a lttle less height

163. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The Braves have no desire to win a meaningless NL East Pennant.To avoid the 1 game wildcard playoff? Sure they do. But now, to do that they will still have to play a 1 game winner take all contest. So, I guess you are right.The only real advantage is making the Nats do the same wasting Gio.

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Not even Harper can score on that….

165. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Yuck. Big guns suck tonight. What a dissappointment

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Damn it. no top a ball instead a cheap pop up. what was that all about?

167. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Somebody tell me why it was possible to steal home in the past but now is rarely attempted. I am not talking about delayed steals like Harper had earlier against the Phils….

168. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Hoping Joel Hanrahan can help his old team tonight.

169. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Morse too away some fan fun by changing his walk up music? What's up wit that Mikey? Bad karma don't you think?

170. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Baseball, unlike football and basketball, does essentially nothing to make the regular season matter. It is more like hockey, where the play-offs are mostly luck.

171. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Funny how we smacked the hell out of this guy just last week….

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

What was that all about? I think I might have hit that one, Morse. Phillies seem to care at least a little here.

173. Exposremains - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

If anybody thought that the Phillies will make this easy, well…

174. SCNatsFan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

That's the heart of our order right now? Maybe Davey needs to get tossed or something. Get some life into this flat team.

175. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Hoping Joel Hanrahan can help his old team tonight.You don't mean GasCanRahan do you? There are number of Nats fans who don't deserve that.

176. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

If the Nats need another starter for the playoffs I would think they'd consider Stammen. Let Duke be the long relief guy. But Stammen hasn't started at all this season after doing it most of last year in Syracuse.

177. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

This team is in no way ready for the post season. Deer in the headlights right now. Only guy with any moxey is 19 years old.

178. ehay2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

179. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM

As Davey would say, Stayman is on fire. No doubt about it.

180. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Laroche, morse and zimm shouldn't take a pay check tonight.

181. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

182. Exposremains - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Thats how you deal with pressure, they should all learn from stammen.

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Harper and RG3

184. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Hmmm… could Stammen get a look for the starting rotation next year? Seriously good pitching from him these days.Seems unlikely. The Nats are a rich team in starting pitching … that just might go out and get someone like David Price, another lefty. Eschewing Jackson. BUT, this year the Nats have been extremely luck injury wise as far as the starting rotation. Next year the baseball gods might rebalance things. In that case Stammen might get the call.

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

No, the Nats would just put Wang into the spot of the injured guy….

186. ehay2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Secret – these are the games that prepare a young team for the playoffs.I'm glad they left Kendrick in – he's due to throw a few batting practice balls.

187. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Someone just emailed me that the Nats can change their rosters each round of the play-offs. Is that true?Including the 1 game wildcard. Yes.However, my understanding is that they must indicate what their extended roster in addition to the 25 man they plan on using. But I could be wrong the rules have changed this season.

188. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

This is all Lannan's fault. I can't believe he gave up runs.

189. Secret wasian man - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Pull the tarp, put on black and gold, and root like hell for the pirates.

190. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

The Lerners are like, damn Braves! They are screwing up the last two games of our home stand….

191. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM

192. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Man WODL….you really are trolling tonite, aren't you?

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Twive man on third and we take a called third strike to end the iining.Also all night we top the ball. When we need LaRoche pops to second. Why not top it then?

194. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I firmly believe the offense will get better and become more consistent as the current youth get more experience … and Rendon arrives. He could be another impact, high OBP hitter with power. Plus if Ramos can come back and play in at least 80 games he adds quite a bit of potential power to the lineup.

195. hiramhover - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hey, NJ, cut him a break.He's made maybe 1/3 the comments since first pitch–every one can't be a gem.

196. rogieshan - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I know he swings hard, but something tells me Espinosa is pressing too much to get to 20/20 to match his DP partner.

197. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Not to mention, half of them are tongue in cheek–I really think Saturday night was the clincher, so that is why I am not nervous.

198. ehay2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Mattheus stinks – can't even strike out the side! ;-)

199. rogieshan - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said,"I love the 1971 Pirates, but I always disliked the 1979 Pirates. Does that make any sense?"'71 Pirates had Roberto Clemente. The '79 Pirates had the Cobra, Mad Dog,and a couple of dope dealers.

200. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM