Oct 2, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Photo by Bob Youngentob / CSNwashington.com
Ryan Zimmerman, the Nats' first draft pick in 2005, finally got to celebrate.
By Chase Hughes
When the Nationals begin their five-game playoff series this weekend, it will mark the first postseason game for almost every player on the team's young roster. Most have never played meaningful games in October, but for a choice few who have seen the franchise at its lowest points, the dream perhaps seemed even farther away.
Ryan Zimmerman was the franchise's first draft pick when it moved to Washington, and through years of losing twice decided to sign contract extensions to stay with the club. He opted to stay loyal when he could have jumped ship and instead trusted the vision and future of the team around him.
Now his team is not only postseason bound, but champions of the NL East.
"The odds were in my favor that I was going to win here at some point," he said. "I love this town. They gave me a chance, took a chance on me at a young age, and put me right in the middle of it.
"For the team to take a chance on me like that, IRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent