Oct 2, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Photo by Bob Youngentob / CSNwashington.com
Ryan Zimmerman, the Nats' first draft pick in 2005, finally got to celebrate.
By Chase Hughes
When the Nationals begin their five-game playoff series this weekend, it will mark the first postseason game for almost every player on the team's young roster. Most have never played meaningful games in October, but for a choice few who have seen the franchise at its lowest points, the dream perhaps seemed even farther away.
Ryan Zimmerman was the franchise's first draft pick when it moved to Washington, and through years of losing twice decided to sign contract extensions to stay with the club. He opted to stay loyal when he could have jumped ship and instead trusted the vision and future of the team around him.
Now his team is not only postseason bound, but champions of the NL East.
"The odds were in my favor that I was going to win here at some point," he said. "I love this town. They gave me a chance, took a chance on me at a young age, and put me right in the middle of it.
"For the team to take a chance on me like that, IRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Barrett seizing setup role but watching workload
- Anthony Rendon back in D.C. to see Nats doctors
- 'Baseball in the District' - Marlins' voice Glenn Geffner
- Surging Nats return home to face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: A turning point last week?
- State of the Nats: An impressive weekend in New York
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain