Oct 2, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tom Gorzelanny starts tonight for the Nationals, if weather permits.
Now that his Nationals have clinched the NL East, Davey Johnson can begin aligning his rotation for the NLDS against a yet-to-be-determined opponent. The manager has said for several days he'd like to start Gio Gonzalez in Game 1. That wouldn't be an issue if Game 1 takes place Sunday (ie. if the Nationals are the No. 1 seed playing at the Wild Card winner) because Gonzalez could start tonight and remain on normal rest.
But if the Nationals end up as the No. 2 seed, they'd open on Saturday in San Francisco, and Gonzalez would need to pitch on short rest. Thus, Johnson has decided not to start the 21-game winner tonight against the Phillies. Instead, it'll be fellow lefty Tom Gorzelanny, making his first start since July 23, 2011.
The Phillies' starter tonight is Johnny Wholestaff. He's got the incredible ability to pitch both right- and left-handed and pitch all nine innings (or more if necessary). Should be a doozy.
This, of course, is all contingent upon the weather holding up. It's not raining at the moment, and the forecast calls for a 10 percent chance of precipitation at 7 p.m., then climbing to 60 percent at 9 p.m. In other words, anybody with a bat in his hands better be swinging at the first pitch he sees to keep this game moving and make sure it becomes official before the heavy stuff hits.
Updates to come…
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of showers, 75 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
LF Tyler Moore
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's games
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's games
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Tanner Roark starts in season finale for the Nationals
- Nats rookie fractures hand in first career start
- Putting Scherzer's no-hitters into historical context
- Escobar error spoils Scherzer's bid for perfect game
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note
- Harper out of nightcap after taking pitch off leg
- Harper homers, as Nats take 1st of doubleheader at Mets
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Pirates set for wild card game
- Williams: "Nobody's spoken to me ... at this point"