Game 161: Phillies at Nats

Oct 2, 2012, 7:44 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tom Gorzelanny starts tonight for the Nationals, if weather permits.

Now that his Nationals have clinched the NL East, Davey Johnson can begin aligning his rotation for the NLDS against a yet-to-be-determined opponent. The manager has said for several days he'd like to start Gio Gonzalez in Game 1. That wouldn't be an issue if Game 1 takes place Sunday (ie. if the Nationals are the No. 1 seed playing at the Wild Card winner) because Gonzalez could start tonight and remain on normal rest.

But if the Nationals end up as the No. 2 seed, they'd open on Saturday in San Francisco, and Gonzalez would need to pitch on short rest. Thus, Johnson has decided not to start the 21-game winner tonight against the Phillies. Instead, it'll be fellow lefty Tom Gorzelanny, making his first start since July 23, 2011.

The Phillies' starter tonight is Johnny Wholestaff. He's got the incredible ability to pitch both right- and left-handed and pitch all nine innings (or more if necessary). Should be a doozy.

This, of course, is all contingent upon the weather holding up. It's not raining at the moment, and the forecast calls for a 10 percent chance of precipitation at 7 p.m., then climbing to 60 percent at 9 p.m. In other words, anybody with a bat in his hands better be swinging at the first pitch he sees to keep this game moving and make sure it becomes official before the heavy stuff hits.

Updates to come…

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of showers, 75 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
LF Tyler Moore
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Pilchard - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Really tough call, but I believe the Nats should start Gio and try to close out the race for the best record (the magic number is two). I hate the idea of Gio not pitching for 8 or 9 days, and would risk pitching him tonight even if it meant the possibility of starting Jordan Z in game #1 in the unlikely event that the Nats started Gio tonight and also failed to secure the best record. The fact is that starting Gio tonight makes it far more likely that the Nats win tonight and get the best record (the Cardinals need to win tonight, and are favored). Really don't want to see the Nats lose the final 2; the Reds win one and get homefield. IMO, that is worth pitching Gio for.

2. Nats fan in NJ - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Johnny Wholestaff…that's awesome, Mark…

3. JD - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Pilchard, I don't think Davie is going for the No. 1 seed. I fully expect a 'B' lineup tonight. The problem with starting Gio in game 2 is that it rules him out of game 5. I still think that our best chance to win is against San Francisco and I am not at all sure that the Reds will get past Atlanta or St.Louis so we very likely get the home advantage in the NLCS as well.

4. baseballswami - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I predicted this morning that the bench will play tonight— and win. The monkey is off their backs and they can play with a sense of joy.

5. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Where did they find him? Sherwood Forest?The Phillies' starter tonight is Johnny Wholestaff.

6. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ohnevermind. I get it now. These late nights are killing me. Heh. :-)

7. Raise the Jolly Scooter - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Ha ha, 1a. Your joke — intentional or not — made me merry.JD, I hadn't thought of that. Even if the Nats' record is second-best, they'd still have home field against anyone but the Reds, wouldn't they?I suspect the manager wouldn't mind the #1 seed at all, but isn't willing to push hard for it. Can't say I disagree. (Hi, Davey! Good work.)

8. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Happy to oblige, Scooter. :-)(I think you're just awesome, Davey! Whatever you think is okay by me. You know, in case you were wondering.)

9. Doc - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hope Harps gets a chance to score 100 runs over the next 2 games. The rookie record for dingerswould be a bit of a stretch. 20 SB's with a few tonight against the Phillies great Native American Johnny Wholestaff seems within reach.Then the Nats would have 2 players in the 20-20 club!!!

10. Pilchard - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Do not agree that the Nats have a better chance to win versus SF than against the StL/ATL winner. SF has known it was the #3 seed since the weekend, and can set up its staff accordingly.Atlanta will pitch Medlin in the WC game. IMO, Atlanta with one Medlin appearance is not as strong as a rested SF team. Also, Cincy has as many home wins as any team in baseball. #1 seed is materially better than #2 seed.

11. Tcostant - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Can't wait to see what our lineup looks like… Tyler Moore cleanup?

12. Raise the Jolly Scooter - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

For what little it's worth, Pilchard, I think the #1 seed is indeed materially better than #2. But if I were managing, I wouldn't blow my team out trying to get it.In other words, I guess I'm saying that the #1 seed, without any rest for my regulars, is not that much better than the #2 seed with my guys lined up exactly how I want them. Zat make sense?Have fun tonight, y'all.

13. JaneB - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I actually looked up Johnny Wholestaffs. I didn't recognize him as cousin to Speedy McLeadoff until just a minute ago.

14. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Jane. :-D

15. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Plus, as with games, one might want to take the series one at a time and not look past the current one.Raise the Jolly Scooter said… For what little it's worth, Pilchard, I think the #1 seed is indeed materially better than #2. But if I were managing, I wouldn't blow my team out trying to get it. In other words, I guess I'm saying that the #1 seed, without any rest for my regulars, is not that much better than the #2 seed with my guys lined up exactly how I want them. Zat make sense? Have fun tonight, y'all. October 02, 2012 4:33 PM

16. Steady Eddie - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

swami @ 4:01 — I agree. The bench is mostly young guys who are likely to bring some phenomenal energy levels as well as demonstrated talent that (appropriately) hasn't had the opportunity to show itself much lately.To come out and start for a division champion is going to be a dream moment for these capable guys. The only thing most of the Phils are likely to bring to the field is grumpiness. This is going to look like a spring training game, only with one of the teams having no regular season in front of them. Should be fun.

17. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM

So how many errors will DeRosa commit at shortstop? I think the right question is will he get to any balls hit in his general direction? :P

18. baseballswami - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

So – let's see – Tracy at third, DeRosa at short, Moore on first, Lombo second? Outfield of Brown, Perez, Bernie. Surely Flo is catching. You know – that's not the worst team I have ever seen! I would be entertained by that!

19. ehay2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Playoffs?!? You're talking about PLAYOFFS?!?Win tonight, win tomorrow, send the losing-record Phillies home in deep sorrow!Because now that they are down, we really need to step on their choking throats so they can get an early taste of what the next few years will feel like!(Did I mention I HATE Philthy teams? ALL OF THEM!)

20. d0e81e8c-9f37-11e1-a165-000bcdcb471e - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hopefully Brown and Perez get in as well.

21. baseballswami - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ok – so I was pretty close on the line ups.

22. bowdenball - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Looks like Davey is trying to help Harper get Rookie of the Year and help LaRoche do as well as possible in the MVP balloting. No other regulars in the starting lineup.

23. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Leon is catcher, not Flores.that IF defense should be interesting. I predict at least 2 errors.

24. Steady Eddie - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

bowdenball — really glad to see Harp in there. It's not just for ROY — he has a chance to set all kinds of all-time records for a teenager, so this is Davey acknowledging that he's earned as big of a shot at the history books (presumably including things like taking chances on steals) as he can.

25. baseballswami - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Faraz- at least. But I bet they score some runs! When I see 96-64, I do a double take. Wow.

26. bowdenball - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Good point, Eddie. I think this also means the Nats will play the regulars tomorrow for the regular season finale. I assumed they would play most of them at least, what with it being sold as a tribute to the fans, but this seems to confirm it.

27. TimDz - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:10 PM

When Johnny Wholestaff faces Lombo or Espi, it could look like this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oD8KzxS14

28. timeless46 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM

My guess is that LaRoche sits down as soon as he gets RBI 100.

29. JD - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM

timeless, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

30. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I still don't see Johnny Wholestaff the ambidextrous pitcher. Instead BJ Rosenburg or maybe he's disguised as BJ Surhoff?Who knew?

31. peric - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

really glad to see Harp in there. It's not just for ROY — he has a chance to set all kinds of all-time records for a teenager,I really believe he could give a damned … I think he looks at it … but he's 19. He just wants to play. Everyday. Put me in coach I'm ready to play, look at me, I can be, center field. That should be his walkup song at least once.if Davey takes him out he probably bugs him constantly because he's always amped up.

32. SonnyG10 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I wonder how its going to work for us to have two right fielders and no center fielder on defense.

33. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The closer we get to the four series actually beginning, the more incensed I am that all of the #1 and #2 seeds — not just the Nats — are being forced to begin the playoffs with two away games. I've known about it for quite a while (although initially I thought it was only the #1-WC series with the 2-3 set-up) and I certainly understand it's a done deal and there's nothing anyone can do about it. But the MLB front office really screwed this playoff season up by taking initial home-field advantage away from the higher-seeded teams. When it was theoretical it seemed a minor anomaly;; now that it's about to happen, it certainly appears much worse.

34. phil dunton - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The Nats have lost 6 of 7 games as they limp across the finish line. The hitting has become very spotty again and the starting pitching has failed lately. Meanwhile, the Giants, Reds, Braves and Cardinals are on a roll.

35. Old Wino - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Do I see 4 rookies in the lineup tonight? Awesome. Makes me wonder if the Nats have more rookie innings in total during the regular season than anyone in the league.

36. baseballswami - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Yes, Phil , they have. You just can't convince me that the pressure of September didn't get to them. I don't care what Davey said. Now that they have crossed the first finish line, maybe it will boost their confidence , let them take a deep breath and re-group. They didn't really have any big slides during the season. We were also the only team to have a winning record in every single month of the season. After this big hurdle, I think they bounce back. I really, really don't like the idea of ZNN pitching on 7 days rest, though.

37. Kirbs - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I really think we are playing the worst ball of the year…our hitting is gone, but the pitching is getting shelled. Although them bull pen boys turned it on last night. I really hope it was a sign of things to come. I am really worried of whoever comes out of this WC game. They are both playing so well right now. I would much rather finish 2nd and play the Giants (who have shut it down and havnt had pressure) the be first and get stuck with atl or stl. To me, we are the best of the division winners….i just dont to mess with that WC team. Btw, hope this game gets in i am kinda looking forward to a goon squad game. Does anyone know if Gio threw a session today. The worst thing that could happen is him getting TO MUCH rest and have him over throw his FB and curve in game 1 and start walking people. Ps, 2012 NL East champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for my shirt!!!!!!!

38. rabbit34 - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I'm happy they won the division, but it's still hard for me to see how they are a first place club.

39. Drew - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Two homers to catch Conigliaro.Two doubles to catch Yount.Three runs to catch Buddy Lewis.

40. Drew - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Four walks from Will Smalley's teen record of 60 — for your 1890 Cleveland Spiders.

41. MicheleS - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

GYFNG! Get a win tonight and go Rookies!

42. Old Wino - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Harper, rookie of the month in Sept. Woohoo!

43. Drew - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

How about six steals to reach Cobb's 23?Four triples to match Buddy's 13?(Two pizzas to match my personal best?)

44. mr baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I don't understand tonights line-up. Where is Jesus Flores? Doesn't he need the work and deserve to start?

45. natsfan1a - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

GYFGGG (now, with extra g's for Gorzo and Goons)!

46. NatsLady - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Well, yes. They are a first place team. They are tired and banged up because the regulars have been playing every game almost every inning. Contending teams have been chasing our butts and we survived. Did just what we needed to do, which was play .500 ball. There was no need to win every game. I'm happy that we clinched at home. I don't think that was Davey's plan, I think he wanted to clinch in St. Louis, but probably not much earlier than that. So we lost a day or two with Det and EJax imploding. Not a big deal in the grand picture, as long as they recover.

47. NatsLady - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

mr b, that would be my only question, why wouldn't Flores catch. But I don't know that he "needs the work," as he's perfectly familiar with the pitching staff and what would he be working on? I think Davey doesn't want Flores to get injured. He will be the backup for the playoffs and Davey is not taking any chances.

48. NatsLady - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Actually, this is better. Because if Flores or heaven forbid Suzuki got injured, you would need Leon. So this is better, Leon is the one who needs the work at the ML level–if you can call it that!

49. DHamm - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Anyone having an issue with MASN tonight or is it just crappy Loudoun County Comcast that is the issue?

50. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

The Nats have lost 6 of 7 games as they limp across the finish line. If you want to be pessimistic on the day after we clinched the NL East title, no one can stop you. But you're not entitled to make stuff up. So do tell us, which of the Nats' 3 victories in the last 7 games do you consider a loss?

51. sjm308 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Phil & Rabbit – could one or both of you do me a favor and post a simple sentence that says something positive about the Washington Nationals or even one of its players? It would just be so refreshing. I am doubting that you are capable.

52. sjm308 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Gorzo strikes out the side in the first!!

53. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

It's still hard for me to see how they are a first place club.That's easy. Look at the standings That little "y" next to "Washington" means they are a first place club.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I must say, DeRosa handled shortstop extremely well in the first.

55. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I'm still on cloud none from last night!

56. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

222….don't pay any heed to the troll.

57. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I never thought I would see my team in post season baseball

58. sjm308 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

What a surprise, Mark DeRosa is an actual major league ball player capable of making major league plays ( I wonder if that World Series Ring was just something he won in a cracker jack box??)

59. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

sjm308 lol, well said coach

60. sjm308 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

NatsJack – once again, you are right, the trolls just get to me after having two wonderful days of feeling better then I have a right to.Funny story. At the gym, my idiot Red Sox fan/worker sees me and turns around and starts backing up. I get his message and ask him where the Sox will be backing up to at the end of this year. I also mention the 96 wins and how it feels for him to have a team that has given up while I will be a part of the post-season. He basically walks away but not before saying something even more stupid about Washington probably losing this team in a decade. Tomorrow, I will ask him the same question I just asked Phil D & Rabbit. I want him to say one thing nice about the Nationals or I will not be discussing baseball with him again.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

DeRosa!!! Who knew???? Look out Desi!!!

62. JaneB - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

WOW, Mark! Good on ya!

63. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Tell your Red Sox friend that the rest of baseball noticed their classless approach last nite by putting a AAA team on the field in a game with playoff implications.

64. RickH - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Hmmm … Can't see how the Nats are a number one team? How about 96 wins, best record in baseball and first place for the vast majority of the season? Seems kinda obvious to me.

65. RickH - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

By the way, in case no one else has said this (I haven't been able to follow ALL the posts). Having been at the game last night and at the first Phillies game, I think we can safely say WE TOOK BACK THE PARK!!!

66. Section 222 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM

67. JaneB - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I wamt ALR to get his RBI. That's "my" next goal.

68. MicheleS - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM

GOON SQUAD!!!

69. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

NJ, just having a little fun. Saying we've lost 6 of 7 is kind of the height of idiocy.Oh, don't kid yourself, Deuces. Those guys can get far more idiotic. They're doing it on purpose. Ignoring them is easy enough, but ignoring people I normally don't, when they engage, gets complicated. DFTT.

70. sjm308 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Natsjack – not saying great minds think alike but I DID call them a AAA team in my brief comments to him. Seriously, I will find others to talk baseball with as he is obviously a washington hater.

71. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Good call, NatsLady. Just as well. I still remember Dave Dravecky breaking his arm and effectively ending his career (and discovering a tumor in his arm) in a clinch dogpile.

72. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM

OK…Desi can rest easy. DeRosa doing his best Desi 2010 immitation.

73. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ok, Desmond's job is safe, and Sandy Leon, when you have the trail runner already at third, don't keep throwing the ball–run the guy back and tag them both.

74. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Well done, Gorzo.

75. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM

OK, I just went and refreshed my memory. Dravecky did not pitch again at all.

76. Drew - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Gorzo! Take an overbite out of crime!

77. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM

any chance Bryce can get 24? would love to see him tie Tony C

78. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM

you all may already know that Adam is sitting tomorrow, so I would love to see him get 100 RBI

79. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:58 PM

who is pitching tomorrow for us?

80. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Chance? Sure. Just needs two dingers. Got tonight and tomorrow to do it.

81. mick - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Edwin?

82. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Jackson is scheduled and still listed.

83. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM

hope your right old funk, lol

84. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM

NatsJack.. Any idea when Greenburg will bat for Miami. I know that the Marlins are creeps, but I am happy for the kid.

85. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I hate Darrin Ruf

86. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Natsjack…. how many hours after season ends will it take before the ax falls on Ozzie?

87. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM

That Ruf boy is gonna be a problem for quite some time to come.

88. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Like I said last week, this Ruf kid is very good

89. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Mick, it may not be measured in hours. Just sayin.

90. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM

sofa… Ruff is a player!!!

91. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM

92. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Davey said Adam and Bryce are playing today so they can sit out tomorrow v. Lee….and I thought maybe it was just b/c they were the only one's not still hung over….

93. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

FP: "60 bottles of champagne, 480 bottles of beer."See, that's the kind of reporting you don't get in small markets.

94. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

ONLY 60 Bottles of Champaign? Yup… Lerner's are cheap. ;-)

95. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

lol sofa and Swift

96. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Does anyone have the picture of Wilson Ramos in a shopping cart?

97. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Swift, they're not mutally exclusive reasons.

98. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I may be wrong, but I think Cards have to wrap it up tonight

99. Section 222 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Fair enough Sofa, I'll resist the temptation. So I saw someone on Twitter today claiming that Harper has until his 20th birthday on Oct. 15 to tie TonyC's record for most homers as a teenager, and any homers in the postseason would count? Anyone know how MLB treats this record?

100. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM

sec 222, I am sure by season, i would shocked if it was anything else

101. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM

sec 222…. you got me doing a little research… back in few

102. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM

mick…..Ozzie has already told the clubhouse guy he's probably getting the axe.MLB will ask that any announcements be held till ater the WS but withLoria, one never knows.

103. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Yikes…. Tny C only played in 111 games in 1964 when he hit 24 HRbryce will have played in 138 after tonight

104. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

thanks Nats jack!

105. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Just heard Ben Sheets is retiring after tomorrow.

106. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I know the birthday is irrelevant, we had that conversation just a few days ago. I'm 95% sure postseason stats don't count for that.

107. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Hey.. We SCORED A RUN!! GO SHARK!

108. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I gotta believe FP's 60 bottles of champagne estimate is a wee low.I thought I had read they had stocked 23 cases (I guess one case per player, excepting the Kid and some other tea-totalier.).23 cases, 12 bottles a case = 276 bottles.Now, THAT's a party…Or that will do until the party starts.

109. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

BJ Rosenberg… your that shark I know itthe Shark… no, I'm a dolphin now open the doorBJ: a dolphin, whew, well OKAHHHHHHlol

110. Section 222 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I remember the conversation a few days ago, but I wasn't sure that anyone conversing had an authoritative answer. (Lots of people act like they have authoritative answers when they are actually talking out of their…. hats.

111. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Sunshine.. James from the Post had the 60 bottles as well. Maybe the 23 cases are for later on this year.

112. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said…I gotta believe FP's 60 bottles of champagne estimate is a wee low.23 cases, 12 bottles a case = 276 bottles.Now, THAT's a party…Or that will do until the party starts.I'll DRINK TO THAT!!!

113. Drew - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

This is not a boating accident!

114. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Sunshine, it may be I watch too much TV, but it seems like Captain Morgan ought to be hosting that joint.

115. Section 222 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

116. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Mick, good one on the landshark!~

117. RickH - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hey Mick … "Candygram."

118. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

thanks sofa!RickH lololol

119. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Wasn't Carlos Lee, it was Derrek Lee.

120. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Section 222 said… Remember two years ago, when Adam LaRoche was the free agent first baseman left over after everybody else signed?Wasn't it down to the Nats and the O's to sign ALR or Carlos Lee? Rizzo wanted a lefty. Boy did that work out.October 02, 2012 8:21 PM ___________________________________It was Derrek Lee. Funny how things work out.

121. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

FP sez he'd be "shocked" if Garcia isn't on the postseason roster.Take a bow, NatsJack, take a bow.

122. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

One of my prizes from over the weekend.. Christian Garcia autographed a ball for me. Was educating all the STL Kids in the OF who he was. He came over and signed a ton of autographs. I got one.

123. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I love all the players kids at the celebration. Saw Zuki's little girl running around the bases.. She got a standing O from the folks on the 3B side.

124. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Natsjack called in months ago on Garcia!!!!

125. mick - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Michelle S that is very cool… Ejac's baby is PRECIOUS!!!!

126. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Ian's little boy Grayson was just adorable as well… Sorry.. sucker for babies – as long as they are someone else's ;-)

127. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Does Johnny Wholestaff have a brother? Cuz I think he's pitching for the Nats.

128. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Well, that would be Nat Wholestaff, wouldn't it.D'OH!

129. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM

ESPN2 Is going to show the Greenburg at abat. Starts now.

130. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Espinosa's pinch-hit appearance there looked alot like his other at-bats.

131. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Poor kid Greenburg, K'd.. He can get pointers from Danny on that.

132. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I know how some folks here feel about it, but Washington fans have historically hated the Damn Yankees at least as much as they hate Angelos, in sum. So I'm hoping the Yanks lose tonight, and the O's win, and they finish tied and have to play for it.

133. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Poor kid Greenburg, K'd.. He can get pointers from Danny on that.What? Who strikes out that guy there? What kind of an … oh, nevermind.Oh, boy that was an awful call on the foul tip.

134. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Very cool, MicheleS.Hey, we're going tomorrow. We'll be in sec. 317. Anybody else going?

135. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

First Place Sofa… YUP.. then the A's beat the O's in the Wild Card, then A's CRUSH the Yanks for the revenge on that Jeter Play. Then the A's take the Rangers out (Bob Short Revenge) and The Nats Vs A's in the WS. And well not counting chickens after that…

136. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

137. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM

JoeS.. I originally had tickets for tomorrow, traded them in for Last Night instead.Hmm.. Braves TANKING.. losing 5-1 to the Buccos.

138. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM

And the Cards… 1-0 over the Reds.

139. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

MicheleS said… Poor kid Greenburg, K'd.. He can get pointers from Danny on that. October 02, 2012 8:32 PM ________________________________Still has a career .500 OBP

140. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Mark just tweeted:Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckerman R.A. Dickey, trailing 3-0 in Miami, removed from game. Gio Gonzalez will finish the season as majors' leader with 21 wins

141. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

BOOM 100 for ALR

142. RickH - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

ALR … 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

LaRoche!!!!! 100 RBI

144. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

SWEET! and ADAM BOMB!!!

145. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Now get Bryce 2 more steals!!!!!!!!

146. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM

YOWSA!

147. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Not bad for a leftover first-baseman.

148. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

And people wanted Fielder….OK, I was one of them…Very happy to wrong, ALR has been a pleasure to watch every day, with the glove and bat

149. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

MicheleS said… Mark just tweeted:Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanR.A. Dickey, trailing 3-0 in Miami, removed from game. Gio Gonzalez will finish the season as majors' leader with 21 winsOctober 02, 2012 8:52 PM ____________________________________Good. Might have cost him the CY

150. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

can we have Adam Back? I know.. I am the sentimental type (and BIG CHEERLEADER), but I love him (and the GG 1B). I have the Shersey, I want to wear it for another year.

151. JaneB - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

ALR! I am so happy for him, and for us, that we have him! Boy was I wrong to say he was the wrong Adam for us,

152. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I LOVE winning, man! I just love winning. It's … like, yanno, better than losing.

153. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Very unlikely Michele….but stranger things have happened…

154. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Well, Bob Carpenter didn't say it, so I will for ALR's dinger…SEE.YOU.LATER!

155. RickH - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM

ALR 4 MVP!

156. RickH - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Wait. Perez is going to bat? I thought he just came in when others got on base.

157. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Swift? What's Unlucky? Just remember I cracked open a beverage to celebrate and I need things explained to me.

158. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I still think Ryan Z is the Nats MVP…ALR has the stats, but since The Shot, Ryan has been the best player in the NL…The Nats were a good team before Ryan got hot, but became the best team in the NL when he started hitting…To me, that's more important than the stat totals

159. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Michele…I meant that ALR's return next year is "unlikely"…

160. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I can see the argument, but I still go for LaRoche, supplying half the offense, it seemed, when the pitching only needed one run, and that was about all they'd get. Without that big April I don't know that we're having this much fun tonight.

161. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Great point Sofa…In April and May, ALR was the ONLY offense…

162. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Swift.. See.. too much beverage.. But Sigh.. I agree.. Unlikely.. but one can hope.Good for Lombo.. Love a good Goon Squad game.

163. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM

And honestly, Harper gets some votes in that conversation. He has had an effect on this team in tangible and intangible ways that are so different from the norm that it's hard to quantify his contribution, but it was huge.

164. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM

No way Perez is stealing signs at 2nd…He doesn't even know the Nats signs yet, let alone the Phils…Lol

165. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Another good point, I guess yet another sign of the strength of this team is it's hard to say who the MVP is…There isn't one guy….Although by this time next year, I think Bryce will be THE Guy…

166. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Oh, I almost forgot — SteadyEddy, good to meet you last night!

167. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM

FP mentions last night's "Take On Me" in the ninth–the whole ballpark sang it this time. I think we've got our home-grown replacement for Sweet Caroline.

168. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM

There is no one team MVP for the Nats in my opinion Desi, ALR, Zimm, Gio, Clip, Werth,Harper all were just great.

169. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM

We simply cannot get Fransden out…hope the Phils decide not to keep him…

170. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Swift, I have been virtually drooling over getting to watch Bryce Harper for he next several years. NATS MVP?? NL MVP.

171. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM

SOFA.. AGREE.. We need to have AHA come play that "cough" soon. How great would that be. I got chills last night at the game and LOVED the Beasts reaction to all of us singing. You could just tell he was savoring that moment.

172. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I didn't get to see Willie Mays at the beginning of his career, I came in in the middle of that movie, but I saw Bo Jackson for one year, and I'm telling you, if they just move this kid to right before he kills himself, we are in for years of going to the park to see something you've never seen before.

173. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Michele, now we need to get people to learn the words to Dazed And Confused.

174. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sofa,I heard an interview with Davey early on where he said Bryce told him that he feels much more comfortable playing CF. He has a very tough Limey getting a read on the ball in RF, especially on the slices off of righthander's bats. Besides, where are you going to play Jayson Werth if you move Bryce to RF? I think that Bryce will play CF for the Nats for many years.

175. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sofa.. I bet most of the crowd doesn't even know that Dazed & Confused is a song and not a movie.

176. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Damn auto correct! He doesn't have a tough "Limey", but a tough time.

177. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Michele, you could hear the crowd on TV singing the "Take on Me" song when Morse came up in the ninth. Carp and FP both noted it. It was such a harbinger of the delirium to follow. One of the highlights of the season.

178. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Joe, I was trying to make that sorta bigoted autocorrect work somehow. ; ) I did know what you meant.Michele, I didn't really think there was much hope, there, for D&C.

179. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Mets have come back to tie it up. Dicky escapes getting a loss.

180. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Geez, this guy's gonna be a total pain in the butt for a long time.

181. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

This guy is killing us.

182. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

OY! We add RUF to the IBB list. GEESH.

183. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Is anybody else at least mildly concerned about Clipp's tendency to throw 390-foot pitches lately?Nahhhhhhhh. I didn't think so. Silly me.

184. baseballswami - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM

So I know we already clinched, but – Tyler Clippard again – oy, vey. Now it's Syracuse Chiefs 3 and Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs 2.

185. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Boz has a new Man Crush

186. waddu eye no - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Ruf shmuf. He can watch his replays during the playoffs. Our guys will be busy

187. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM

FP says Ruf has driven in the last 7 runs the Phils have scored against us.

188. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Bryce's problem (for us, more than for him) is that he needs 2 stolen bases and two home runs. It's tough to steal a base after a home run.

189. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Sweet.. DeRo.. Goon Squad strikes again!

190. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Haha..DeRosa was sure he had hit that out!

191. Section 222 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Digging for two? Nah, not really.

192. SCNatsFan - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Now this is powerhttp://imgur.com/dhFmdDon't worry, safe for viewing, Nats related

193. Joe Seamhead - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Which reminds me…where's Jay B been?

194. Gonat - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Barves lost Barves lost, Nats clinch. Ohhhh, that was yesterday.

195. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Wow, that fastball to the elbow doesn't hurt as much as I thought. Sharkadina didn't even flinch.

196. Swift Eagle - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM

He's probably somewhere pondering the "Rizzo Fail" posts from April and May…

197. Section 3, My 1st Place Sofa - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM

JayBee is also enjoying this, with all the other Nats fans. Quit poking.

198. Section 222 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Looks like Eury Perez needs a little work.

199. MicheleS - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Bob & FP are saying things that are making it misty in my house… Must be the Allergies. Seriously, I love those two homers.. I hope they both are back next year.