Oct 3, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout during the seventh inning of today's game.
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout in the seventh inning of today's 5-1 win over the Phillies after losing feeling in his left leg, a sensation doctors attributed to a lower back problem, but one the 69-year-old manager insists won't prevent him from performing his usual duties during the postseason.
"I'm OK, nothing wrong with me," Johnson said after the game. "About the third inning of the game, I started losing all the feeling in my left leg. Just numb. About the seventh inning, it didn't let up."
Johnson said he received treatment that included a muscle relaxer, aspirin and anti-inflammatory medication. Team doctor Wiemi Douoguih gave Johnson five X-rays and diagnosed a nerve problem in the third and fourth lumbar vertebrae in the lower back.
Johnson expects to receive an injection in the area when the swellingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade