Oct 3, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout during the seventh inning of today's game.
Davey Johnson left the Nationals dugout in the seventh inning of today's 5-1 win over the Phillies after losing feeling in his left leg, a sensation doctors attributed to a lower back problem, but one the 69-year-old manager insists won't prevent him from performing his usual duties during the postseason.
"I'm OK, nothing wrong with me," Johnson said after the game. "About the third inning of the game, I started losing all the feeling in my left leg. Just numb. About the seventh inning, it didn't let up."
Johnson said he received treatment that included a muscle relaxer, aspirin and anti-inflammatory medication. Team doctor Wiemi Douoguih gave Johnson five X-rays and diagnosed a nerve problem in the third and fourth lumbar vertebrae in the lower back.
Johnson expects to receive an injection in the area when the swellingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss