Oct 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
|30th President of the United States Calvin Coolidge gets set to throw out the first pitch of the 1924 World Series (Photo by AP.)|
When the Nationals begin the National League Division Series on Sunday, it will mark the first playoff game for a Washington baseball team in 79 years. D.C. baseball fans have seen 45 total major league seasons without a playoff appearance in that span and 34 years without a team at all.
It has been a long time coming for baseball in the district, but before the Nationals commence the NLDS and a new era in Washington, their previous playoff appearances deserve a look back. A Washington baseball team made the playoffs just three times in the 20th century, here is a look at those series.
1924 – World Series
Washington Senators vs. New York Giants
Result: Won in seven games
At 36 years old and in his 18th major league season, Senators pitching great Walter Johnson finally got to play in a World Series with the 1924 team. The ‘Big Train’ actually lost both of his starts, including a 12-strikeout effort in Game 1, but earned a win in relief with four scoreless innings in Game 7. Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants