Oct 7, 2012, 1:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper doesn’t sound fazed one bit by his first postseason appearance.
ST. LOUIS — With a pack of reporters firing off questions and trying to get him to admit he’s at least mildly caught up in the moment on the eve of the Nationals’ first-ever postseason appearance, Bryce Harper refused to concede the point.
“I think you guys are more nervous than we are,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “It’s just another game, just another series. I’m excited, but I’m just going to look at it like another game and another place we play and another team we play. I guess when you step in the box it’s going to be a lot different with the crowd and everything, but you can’t look at it that way.”
Across the Nationals clubhouse Saturday evening, that sentiment prevailed. So what if only four of the 25 players on their roster for the National League Division Series have any postseason experience, totaling 67 games? And so what if 21 of the Cardinals’ 25 players have been through this before, combining to appear in a staggering 290 postseason games?
The Nationals insist that won’t make much of any difference when the two clubs take the field Sunday afternoon for Game 1 of a highly anticipated series.
“I think this team has done it all year, handle our emotions,” third baseman Ryan Zimmerman said. “This whole year has been
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?