NLDS Game 2: Nats at Cardinals

Oct 8, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Jaime Garcia in Game 2 today at Busch Stadium.

ST. LOUIS — How important was it for the Nationals to win Game 1 of this best-of-five series, especially on the road? "That game's huge," Adam LaRoche said this morning. "Game 1 in a short series like this is huge. I think more than anything because now for the Cardinals, since we won Game 1, this is kind of a must-win. You don't want to get down two games in any series, but definitely not in a five-game."

So the pressure today at Busch Stadium is squarely on the defending World Series champs, not the first-time playoff participants. Which means the pressure is on Game 2 starter Jamie Garcia to get his team back on track. The left-hander had an up-and-down season but he finished strong, going 4-1 with a 2.50 ERA over his last six starts (after the Nats got him for six runs in late-August).

Jordan Zimmermann makes his first career postseason start, and if you think the right-hander is fazed at all by the situation, you don't know him very well. "I really never get nervous for any games," he said yesterday. "The only game I really got nervous for was my debut [in 2009]. And I don't see anything changing this time."

We've got another afternoon start here in St. Louis, so look for the Shadow Monster to be a factor again. And for everyone who keeps asking: No, MLB has not yet announced a start time for Game 3 on Wednesday. As soon as they do, I will pass it along. I promise.

In the meantime, plenty of updates from today's game to come right here…

NATIONAL LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES – GAME 2
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 4:37 p.m. EDT
TV: TBS
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WSPZ (570 AM), XM 184
Weather: Sunny, 60 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF

NATIONALS
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM

2-0. No problem. C'mon J-Zimm, you bulldog. Just do what you've done all season — 7 IP, 4 H, 1R, 8Ks. Turn it over and we'll Clipp and Store it.GYFNG!!

2. Jimmy - Oct 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Looking forward to Jordan having the opportunity to show the rest of the country what Nats fans have known for a while: that he is a beast. The guy is long overdue for some national recognition. Loved listening to Clip and Storen shut it down last night. Just like the good ol' days, when teams basically had to find ways to beat us in just seven innings, because the window of opportunity closes once we hear Peaches playing at Nats Park.

3. natsfan1a - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Go, Z'nn! Go, NATS!!

4. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Bulldog Jordan and Frisky NATS Bats = GYFNG!

5. Donald - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

"Wind 10 mph out to RF". Hopefully Zim, Morse, Harper and LaRoche can all take advantage of a little help to take the ball deep.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Davey said Espi was amp'd up yesterday.By the way, as we speaking, Stras us short-tossing in the outfield with JFlo. They just can't get Stras to rest.

7. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I know this is negative, but I really think Zim's shoulder is worse than any of us are going to know until the off season. I don't know how painful it is, but it seems to be immobile at times. I know he has always had some throwing issues, but right now it just looks like his shoulder doesn't work properly and he is trying to find a slot to get the ball into the air.The underhand and sidearm work fine, but anything above that and it just looks like he can't lift his arm very high. You know he is going to gut it out. I hope the power is not going to be absent. I also hope that the other Zimmermann has solved the problem of too many days rest. I would like to see him the way he looked in Milwaukee when the entire state was watching him. We really need both of the Zimmermen today.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I'm amp'd up typing. Sorry about all the typos and hope Espi gets going today!

9. NatsLady - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

A statistical curiosity.Zach Sanders ‏@zvsandersAs a hitter, Gio Gonzalez saw more pitches than Mike Morse today.

10. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Oh. And Ian will lead us.

11. natsfan1a - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Okay. Did they announce it yet? :-)And for everyone who keeps asking: No, MLB has not yet announced a start time for Game 3 on Wednesday. As soon as they do, I will pass it along. I promise.

12. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

So, we know that Tylers Clippard and Moore kept their cool yesterday, as did Suzuki and Storen. I thought Desi looked the coolest and most focused of anyone on the team. He looked completely and totally at ease.The person that looked the most like a deer in head lights was — Espi. What say you, imaginary friends? Agree- Disagree? Discuss.

13. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

If you, like Desmond, had been given the green light to ambush first-pitch fastballs on every at bat, you'd be cool and focused, too.

14. NCNatsie - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don't think anybody was overpsyched yesterday. I think it was the cold that got to Gio — something to remember in future assignment-making, and the weird shadows, which will be back today apparently, that got to the hitters. The Cards were also complaining about the shadows, but they were gone by the time Clip and Drew came in, and the Cardsbats still couldn't do anything, so double huzzahs to our bullpen.

15. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

If the Nats go on an eleven game winning streak, RZ can get his shoulder surgery sooner.

16. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

NCNatsie –Inasmuch as the WS is likely to include Detroit or NYY, spotting Gonzalez only in warmer (relatively speaking) weather is problematic.

17. JayB - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

18. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Hudson, West and Perfect-Game Popper Joyce. If it's a rout, the announcers probably will still have plenty to talk about.

19. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Just don't anyone pop it straight up right over an infielder in the outfield.

20. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

And for everyone who keeps asking: No, MLB has not yet announced a start time for Game 3 on Wednesday. As soon as they do, I will pass it along. I promise.But have they said what time they're going to announce when they'll tell us when the game is?

21. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Is that really the best umps in MLB…Joe West…..he is a clown and a PR problem waiting to implode….who makes these decisions?MLB.It is explicitly not merit-based. We discussed this a week or two ago in great detail, and there's a link in there somewhere that explains everything.

22. Tcostant - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I'd rather not think that Gio's issues was the cold; after all the rest of the games from here on are in October. Hopefully is was the long time between starts.

23. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Of course Gio was a bit amped up — have you every seen the guy? The more he pitches under the big lights, the more he'll calm down, not just this season but for many more seasons to come. Today, we get Jordan, the anti-Gio, cool, calm, and collected on the outside. Let's hope his insides are just as placid. A good performance from J-Zimm and our first game at home could be a clincher.Go Nats!!

24. NatsNut - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

This is my default blog nowadays, but man, the Post is bringing it. Speaking of which, nice to see you, CoverageisLacking!

25. Doc - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hmmm….Morse usually bats in 4th hole against lefties?Davey must know some stats that we don't know??

26. SonnyG10 - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Let's go, Jordan. GYFNG!!!

27. Andrew - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Is anyone else really concerned with Zimmerman's throwing motion? It really seems like he is in store for pretty significant surgery once the season is done.

28. JD - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Andrew, Of course; you have to be. I wish he just went sidearm until he has the shoulder repaired then he can relearn how to throw overhand.

29. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I love that Davey ignores a bad game (or ten+ ) and keeps plugging in the guy who he thinks has talent. Go Danny

30. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I envy those of you able to watch the game live. I'll be teaching, but a large chunk of my mind will be wondering about the Nats. And hoping that nobody tells me the score before I get to watch the replay this evening. GYFNG!

31. Water23 - Oct 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Mark,Are you sure that game three is at 1:07 PM on Wednesday. That would make it a noon game in St Louis. Even Bud would not do that to the Nats.

32. djinFl. - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

MLB tv just confirmed 1:07 wednesday

33. sjm308 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Here we go!! It's cold and rainy in the Outer Banks. No excuses not to watch my Nationals!Go Nats!! Score First!! Win the NCDS!!

34. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

35. rabbit34 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

OK, now that we stole game one, let's get game two. I hope these guys start hitting. We need more bats!

36. Water23 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Outrageous, the Nats fans get the shaft again. Makes me sick.

37. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

10:07 Pacific? That works nicely for me (he wrote selfishly); not sure how it works for the team or the rest of the world. But let's win today's game and worry about that later. Keep the pressure on, offensively and defensively.

38. sjm308 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Just searched the house cable channels and we do not get MLB network. This is going to cause major issues with my spousal equivalent as I search for a bar in the area.

39. djinFl. - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

@DocI belive Morse is not batting fourth because Cards only have one lefty in the pen. It maintains, advantage Davey, on pinch hitting.

40. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

1:07 is good, for the players. Sucks for the fans with jobs who aren't there. Take lunch late.

41. Water23 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Sec3,Alas, again the O's get the prime spot tonight and the Nats play in the funky afternoon sun. Just another nice thank you gift from Bud and his best friend in Bmore.

42. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I think it has more to do with who they're playing, Water.

43. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

MASN just texted 1:00 start time Wednesday. I'm really not getting all the "we're getting the shaft" stuff. Somebody's team is going to play a day game or 2 this week. Turns out it's our team. St. Louis fans have a 3:30 game today, in a town that may well not do much about the Columbus Day holiday. It happens. We probably ought to just relax, make our Wednesday plans now, and enjoy the games.

44. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

The Orioles game isn't prime time, the Yankees game is. The O's are just the opponent.

45. natsfan1a - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Eh, was hoping it would be later, as it's difficult for my hubby to get out of work that early (luckily my boss is a big Nats fan – pretty much as big of one as me, well, it is me – so it's easier on my end). Anyway, thanks for the info.

46. Water23 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I totally agree and am not affected but alas it would be nice if they balanced it out even just a little bit. Heck, St Louis is watching today's beating in mid-afternoon and most St Louisians(sp?) may not even have gotten to lunch by the time the Nats sweep them out of the playoffs on Wednesday. So, I guess it does not really matter.

47. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The start time had nothing to do with the O's. It has everything to do with the damn Yankees.

48. natscan reduxit - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM

… I wonder if anyone of you from the DC area can confirm what I heard today on a Canadian sports network. The report was that some Washington fans were in a DC bar yesterday afternoon and asked to have the TVs changed to the ball game, and were denied. Anyone heard that?Go Nats!!

49. JD - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I am tired of all the whining. As long as the Yankees are in they will be on prime time TV because the NY market is the largest in the country and not because of any backhanded deals between Bud and Angelos.

50. dabassguy1 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM

sjm308, I was down there this weekend and the game is on channel 29 I believe. TBS is broadcasting this one.

51. dabassguy1 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Mexicali Brews at the 9 MP if you are looking for a cool bar.

52. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM

They just said Weds' game was at 1:00. Good luck finding a spot to park, much less getting home in rush hour. Arrrgh.

53. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM

1 pm and MLB Network. I feel for those of you that will have to listen to Kaat/Costas. Kaat will whine incessantly about Stras.

54. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Okay..Believe in the Mayans.JRoll and Mitch just picked the Nats to win to day. UGH!

55. Old Wino - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Danny is gonna earn his keep today. Go Espy! Go Nats!

56. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM

But the Cardinals aren't all injured, JRoll. How can the Nats possibly win?

57. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Bob Costas: great. Jim Kaat: not great.

58. JD - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Michelle, I was listening to Mike Lupica this afternoon (New York) and he had Ron Darling on. Guess what he asked him? 'If the Nationals play the Reds do you think that missing Strasburg will be a determining factor?' Darling: ' Absolutely; there is no way you can lose your no. 1 starter; your stud pitcher and not be effected negatively'. They won't let this go. Will they?

59. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

JD.. Sadly they will not. NatsJack said it yesterday. As long as the Nats win, discussion will me muted.

60. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Seamhead – I'd go through, hell, high water, and rush hour to go to Wednesday's game. And I will do it all with a smile. Not even the brass at MLB can kill this buzz!

61. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

They EYE BLACK IS BACK! Get him Bam Bam

62. JD - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I can't watch the game (work). How bad are the shadows?

63. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM

24 pitches for garcia

64. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Shadows are bad and moving all over the place

65. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Sun is very bright, and shadows are very sharp and deep.

66. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Reverse K for Jordan! Wish I could type a reverse K.

67. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Wow 7 straight strikes

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Unless TBS pitch track is off Marvin Hudson's strike zone is crazy. The second pitch looked good and the pitch track had it almost perfectly in the middle.

69. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Manassas.. That pitch track has to be off. Plus Marvin Hudson (GA Native) is pissed about the Barves losing to STL

70. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Mayans! Danny Walked!

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My TBS HD froze. non HD is on. Is this what was happening to some of you yesterday?

72. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Manassas, Have FIOS. No issues.

73. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Gosh IAN is making me look smart!

74. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Pliant told Porter where to stick that stop sign!

75. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Jordan making his own offensive support!

76. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Make that "Ian" told Bo.

77. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Espinoza only on 2nd?

78. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I lost the HD station, too.I went down to the regular channel, and to the radio for the audio.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Suzuki one of his few bad at bats. K on a ball in dirt. Harper had the samr problem

80. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Ugh, has Werth set a record for runners left on base as a lead off hitter?

81. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Will, its hard to criticize Werth for driving a ball pretty solidly there. Wasn't like he struck out or had a weak grounder that time.

82. NatsNut - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM

natscan, yes it's true. several tweets yesterday that local bars wouldn't put the Nats game on TV while football was on. Steinberg from the Post is collecting them and will probably call them out in his blog soon.

83. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Garcia is not long for this game 51 thru 2

84. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Up over 50 pitches for Garcia.. Lynn up in the Pen.. This could be fun….

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hitters ticking me off. Garcia is throwing tons of balls and we swinging at way too many. Three K's that all could have been BB with plate discipline,

86. Moose - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

So how many people had picked Jordan as the first Zimmerman(n) with an RBI in this series?

87. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Love how they are showing the Giants (forgive me 1A), but they are going to be eliminated tomorrow.

88. Section 222 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

1 pm start on Wednesday. That's why God invented annual leave. And if I have to sit in traffic on my way home after the Nats wrap up the series, well I'll just listen to Phil Wood talk about the old Senators. There are worse things in the world.

89. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Manassas.. The issue is they can't see the crap with the shade monster issues.

90. Steady Eddie - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Face it, with these shadows and all the ball movement Garcia is getting when he manages to pitch strikes (only 29 out of 51 pitches so far), it's awfully hard for anyone to square up the ball solidly. Werth would have gotten all of that if he could have swung with more confidence. Two of our three RBI hits in this series have been bloops to the opposite field.I wish the game on Wednesday weren't so early but as it will likely make for a lot fewer shadows, so much better for the players. Partly the lack of XBHs is due to the cold weather but it's also the shadows.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The shade monster causing no problems for Cards

92. Steady Eddie - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

But this strike zone of Hudson's is ridiculous. Strikes several inches outside, balls in the center of the strike zone. Zimm should have a 1-2 count on Freese not 3-0.

93. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Also having issues with TBS HD. Seems to be back now

94. LoveDaNats - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Having the strike zone right next to the batter really shows how bad Marv's strike zone is.

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

What shade monster. they are seeing ball perfectly fine. So I refuse to fall for that phoney story. We gets guys on base only Jxim hit it right

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

What is Espi's excuse

97. LoveDaNats - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Deja vu

98. ehay2k - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Horrible horrible strike zone.

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

McCatty as usual is out way too late. Nip it in the bud.I thought Werth was going to catch his and Espi should have had his as should Rzim 3 of 4 were playable so fielders hurting us too.

100. Steady Eddie - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Zimm is getting very little movement on his pitches and with Hudson not giving any low strikes, he's ending up elevating everything. He needs to throw a curve ball that actually curves.

101. JaneB - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

102. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

We Need to limit damage

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

We struck out on 3 balls and now they strike out on 1

104. ehay2k - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Cards are not having the sun light up the ball this half on the inning as everyone had been dealing with until now.

105. Steady Eddie - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Finally, some bite on the slider to get Kozma.

106. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Garcia gone already. Metheny showing some desperation?

107. ehay2k - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Garcia already out!

108. mick - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Nats really should have scored more than 1 run, what is up with Bryce and what is up with Jordan?

109. JaneB - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Yeehaw! we're into their BP now! We win! Thank you Ian for ignoring Bo.

110. djinFl. - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

mnf. back up your dvr and you will see the mound was in the sun .Just moving past the mound at the start of this inning.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Garcia was terrible and our hitters let jim off the hook with 1 run. What a shame. Lynn is much better and we have made the job much harder.Both our starters were given leads in the second which neither bothered to do a shut down inning.

112. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Wow. Garcia gone already? Seems like another case of Matheny overmanaging.

113. LoveDaNats - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Desmond!!!!!

114. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Johnny Wholestaff now pitching for the Cards.Manassas, Now the infield is in shade, before it wasn't, Good play by Ian

115. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Heck of a play by Desi. That's a big out.

116. mick - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan AGREED, swinging at balls hitting in front of the plate by a foothowver, a moot point as Jordan Z is not ready for prime time today… very disappointing

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Finally someone decided to field. Ciuld have easily given up 0 runs with some fielding like we are capable of.

118. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Who peed in manasasatsfan's cornflakes? Negative comment after negative comment…If Lynn was better than Garcia he wouldn't have been relegated to the bullpen. Also he pitched yesterday so he won't be going a ton of innings today.

119. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Just coming inboard. Why is Jordan getting lit up? Bad pitches or good hitting? Errors ? Why is their pitcher put already?

120. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I am completely baffled by Hudson and his "strike zone". That pitch to strike out Zimm was called a ball twice to David Freese.

121. mick - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM

all we wanted was a split in St Louis any way. I just hope other than Desi the other guys start hitting at home..

122. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Seems like the only hitters are desi, Moore and jzim.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

This shade monster excuse teed me off. Garcia pitches slow we should clobber. Was pleasantly shocked he was pitching as he is terrible and Lynn is very good now Inwe hadhad opportunity twice to clobber Garcia and we didnt bother as we swung at so many balls.That kind of performance makes a negative person. We just needed to only swing at strikes and we had game put away. That is how bad I think Garcia is

124. Secret wasian man - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Pitching stinks hitiing stinks. Oh well All we hoped for was a split. Bryce just an embarrasment at the plate right now.

125. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Swami- Jordan having trouble keeping the ball down. Defense hasn't helped and neither has the roving strike zone.

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

As a side note my wife says she know no one more possitive than me but I am absolutely negative when people swing at balls.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Does JZim only throw fastballs? Anyone have the breakdown of pitch selection? I saw 1 slider to Kozma and the rest looked like fastballs.

128. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

JZ just pitched 2 sliders to Holliday.

129. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

So yesterday Gio could not find the zone and today Jordan is getting too much of it ??? Looks like our bullpen may show up early, too. Thankfully no one was on base.

130. JaneB - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Yowee. Not good.

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I assume we will still win this game. I never believe we will losr

132. rogieshan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Now I understand why Gorzelanny is on the postseason roster.

133. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Our hitters should be doing this very same thing. Hope they show up here soon. Fielding not the usual either..

134. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…I assume we will still win this game. I never believe we will losrOctober 08, 2012 5:54 PMThats the spirit! haha

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

We just need score 5 in the 4th no biggie

136. ExposedinDC - Oct 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Better start chipping away or it could get out hand, no excuse not to with Lynn on the mound.

137. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I suppose MNF thinks Ian should've made that play too. Yeah, it would've been nice if we had a couple of timely hits, but really the defense has been ok. The Cards are just knocking the snot out of JZimm so far.

138. Nicky - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I agree Let's get 5

139. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It's early. If our offense shows up and starts chipping away the way they are capable of doing, there is plenty of time. They need to get it together. And no more runs for STL please.

140. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

That play by Zim would have led to a different 2nd inning had he made the same kind of play. That is what we expect.Now get some runs

141. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think that was a pretty nice play by Ryan Zimmerman.

142. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Fouldd bunt followed by to hard a bunt. Espi when is the slump going to end?

143. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Is TBS's pitch track just that far off or is Marvin Hudson the worst umpire in baseball?

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Dave Jagler just said what I did, that the hitters didnt take advantage of Garcia and Lynn has been better all season

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Espinosa now trying to bunt for a hit with Freese, DeScalso and Craig all playing in.Also surprised Davey would use up Bernadina with 2 outs and nobody on. JZim could've hit for himself and then pulled for a reliever. At least Bernadina walked.

146. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

10 runners left on base by Werth in 6 AB….

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

You cant score runs without swinging if pitch is a strike. Would help to get some runs now now lets score 5 next inning.

148. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Our vaunted starting pitching is in shreds…. Gio pitched a gem yesterday compared to this!

149. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM

It looks like Lannan should have been on the roster.

150. Dan Strong - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

This is very similar to when we played them last in the regular season… we win a squeaker and then we get crushed two times. Our offense has been absolutely pathetic for over a month.

151. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Stammen has been singularly ineffective the last two days….

152. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hey Dan, get your facts straight. In the past 30 days (one month), the Nationals have a team OPS of .825.Can you guess which team has been better in that same span?No, you can't, because there aren't any. The Nats have had the best offense in baseball by a considerable margin for over a month now.

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Lack of focus on Stammen then lack of focus ny Espi. making this hard.Score 7 next inning

154. sm13 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Things getting out of hand here.

155. rogieshan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The horseshoe ain't landing today.

156. baseballswami - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

If the pitching OR the hitting was ok, we could survive. We can't survive without one or the other. Yes, the cards are tatooing everything right now, but our offense has been totally stagnant. Jayson alone has stranded a ton of runners. I know this game is out of reach now, but the Nats need to get something going so that this doesn't totally mess with their heads heading home.

157. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Mama said there'd be days like this…

158. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

So now we got Detwiler and Jackson coming up to pitch–at least we know the Cards can't hit either of them….

159. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ugly game but some people need to back up from the ledge a bit.Dan Strong – the Nationals have averaged 4.97 runs/game over the last 31 games. How is that pathetic?Going into St. Louis and splitting with 3 games at home left is something that I think everyone on this forum would have been happy with. Lets not even forget that it is only the 4th inning! How many times has this team come back from big deficits this year? GYFNG

160. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

The Cardinals' manager wins today by yanking his pitcher earlier than I have ever seen while Johnson leaves Zimmerman and Stammen in to stagnate….

161. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Will, thank you for setting Dan straight.

162. Cameron - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Looks like the Nats forgot this a was a playoff game. Come back Wednesday and win one for the hometown fans.

163. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

7 of last 8 Stammen has facdd reach base. not to often from 6 runs. Today I still expect to win.

164. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

165. NatsNutty - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

The Cards now have the "BIG MO". Nats are embarrassing themselves. The biggest problem is that the Nats have to endure this embarrassment for another five innings! I hope they can 'cause I can't. Time for dinner…

166. NatsNut - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This feels terrible.

167. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Nats in five. We got this.GYFNG!!!

168. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

169. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Last I checked, the Nats still have 15 outs to play with. I believe I'll let it play out a little longer.

170. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Lannan would have been crushed by the Cardinals and he can't pitch in relief. When are we going to give up on that guy? He isn't even as good as Tommy Milone … if Milone had stayed Lannan would have been gone.

171. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

172. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

At least Garcia looked like he cared….

173. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Hopefully, after this game, fans and players will have learned to relax. Its best to sneak up on the Yankees and the National offense … then put the hammer down hard.

174. Will - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM

On the bright side, the Cardinals best hitter is still somehow hitless.

175. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…Going into St. Louis and splitting is irrelevant except it means we get at least two post-season games. Home field advantage is not very valuable in baseball.I beg to differ. You have obviously never looked at Edwin Jackson and Ross Detwiler's home vs road splits. Both pitch better at home. And calling it irrelevant is just dumb. How is winning the first of a 5 game series irrelevant? I'd say it is pretty huge to not lose 2 games to start a series…Anybody else remember Edwin pitching 8 innings without giving up an earned run and striking out 10 cardinals at Nats park?

176. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

He might not be as good as Milone, who is basically your average MLB pitcher, but right now, except for Gio, we don't have anyone pitching even average.Yeah, kind of like Matt Cain? And uh Lincecum? Its only one game and believe it or not Zimmermann is still technically not completely past the Tommy John's surgery. The rotation is still one of the best in baseball. And its only going to get better.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

At least we won't get swept…. Gio's performance is looking a lot better now. Maybe the Card aren't as terrible as everyone thinks they are….

178. rogieshan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Give the Cards credit, the pressure was on them coming in today and they brought their hitting shoes. Had our batters converted opportunities in the first two innings, maybe the game is closer than the score. Still have 15 outs to give, but…

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Chip away and we all will be happy. Seven this inning would be fine. No biggie.What is the talk about a shade monster if it was a problem both team would suffer

180. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Stammen just getting hammered the last two days. I think we could get by without Stras but not with Zimmerman, Jackson and Detwiler all falling apart at the same time.Oh woe is me gloom and doom … you make it sound like they won 50 games instead of 98 this season? You sure you're not a 'Stros fan? Or a Cubbies fan?

181. JaneB - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM

182. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I said winning on the road was irrelevant, not winning one of the first two games. Splits may or may not be important depending on various factors. If you have great faith in splits, then I hope you are right here, but generally pitchers who are better at home or on the road have ballpark factors playing into that. Both this park and Nats' Park play fair. This is not Colorado or SF.

183. DJB - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

The way we pitched at the end of the season kind of indicated this would happen sooner or later. I don't think Strasburg would have made a difference, this team is too inexperienced to go far in post-season. But its gravy for me. I just wanted them to win the division and win one game in the playoffs, which they have done. Jackson's outing will determine whether this goes to four or five.

184. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Here we go

185. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

There we go Zimm.

186. mick - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

At this point, winning the game is over… Nats need to use the rest of the game for batting practice. Is Bryce having an Andy Petite flashback?Davey needs to own up on Espi, if he is hurt, play Lombo. This bunting with Espi is ridiculous. He really should go with Lombo back in DC.Put this ugly game behind and hope Ejac can give Nats 6 good innings and that the guys will hit the ball and stop swinging at garbage like it is Spring training!!!I hope this not like the Caps first ever post season in 1983… young up and coming team facing the defending champions Islanders in a best of 3 series. the Caps pull the upset and beat the Islanders in NY in OT, they then proceeded to lose 3 in a row, including 2 at home in blow outs. Nats are also playing the defending champions in the Cards. Nats won a dramatic 3-2 game in their first ever playoff and are getting blown out in this game before returning home for two, please, please, please do not let history repeat itsekf with this team, lol

187. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

One by one, we can get it together and clean this up, Wish The Kid was having a better game.The two major keys to the Nationals steamrolling other teams:1. Pitching, holding other teams to 3 or fewer runs if possible.2. Werth and Harper working in tandem to get on base and wreak havoc on the other team's pitching and defense.With both they dominate. With just one they have a pretty decent chance of winning.

188. Joe Seamhead - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Screw the doom. Praise the Boom!

189. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

190. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Back to back jacks!

191. NatsNut - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

ok, that feels better.

192. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

That's two home runs Mick. 7 -3. Now if Werth and Harper can get going …

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

But why do we always hit them with no one on base?

194. mick - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Now that is what I mean by using the rest of game for BP… end game on a positive!!

195. Dave - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Zimmerman hits a pathetic home run into the bullpen. Then the pathetic LaRoche does the same thing. Shameful. Might as well treat it like batting practice. Okay, then.

196. rogieshan - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Let the next one happen with the sacks drunk!

197. MicheleS - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Chip, chip, chip…

198. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Anyone who thinks our staff is as good now as it was, say, at the end of June, must have been partaking of the beverage that pays the Cards' salaries….Its better. Wang was starting then.

199. pdowdy83 - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Well usually when it is back to back homers the second one never has anyone on base…

200. peric - Oct 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Crap almost 3 jacks in a row now that would have created some momentum!