Oct 10, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The postseason comes to Washington at last this afternoon.
Eighty-eight years ago today, Earl McNeely doubled to left field in the bottom of the 12th inning at Griffith Stadium, bringing home Muddy Ruel from second base with the run that gave the Washington Senators a 4-3 victory over the New York Giants in Game 7 of the World Series, the one and only major-league baseball championship in District of Columbia history.
About three hours from now, the postseason returns to Washington, with Edwin Jackson delivering the first pitch of Game 3 of the National League Division Series to Jon Jay as a sellout crowd on South Capitol Street roars with approval. It's an event so many people in this town have looked forward to experiencing for so long, but the mood will be dampened significantly if the Nationals don't emerge victorious.
How important is the outcome of this game? Well, there have been 39 five-game series in baseball history that were tied 1-1. The team that won Game 3 proceeded to win the series 30 times, losing only nine times. So, there you go.
Be sure to get here early for the pregame festivities, which include the full introductions of both teams, plus Frank Robinson throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. And for those not fortunate enough to be able to attend in person, you of course can get plenty of updates and analysis right here…
NATIONAL LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES – GAME 3
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:07 p.m. EDT
TV: MLB Network
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WTEM (980 AM), XM 183
Weather: Sunny, 66 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher