Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Frank Howard threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4.
Frank Howard was a professional baseball player in Washington for seven years and just once while in town, with the 1969 Senators, played on a winning team. He was on the field for the Sens’ final game in the city, a forfeit as fans rushed the field in the ninth inning against the Yankees on Sept. 30, 1971.
As someone who saw baseball in D.C. at its lowest point, the 76-year-old Howard can surely appreciate how far it has come: to host a playoff series in the District for the first time since before he was born.
“They’ve done a marvelous job here,” Howard said prior to today’s NLDS game at Nationals Park. “I’m happy for them. I’m happy for the fans. They’ve finally got something to shout about.”
Howard was invited by the Nationals to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4 against the Cardinals. Wearing his familiar number 33 jersey, his throw was caught by Ryan Zimmerman. (Howard began his Senator career wearing number 9 but gave it to Ted Williams when he became team manager.)
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants