Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Frank Howard threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4.
Frank Howard was a professional baseball player in Washington for seven years and just once while in town, with the 1969 Senators, played on a winning team. He was on the field for the Sens’ final game in the city, a forfeit as fans rushed the field in the ninth inning against the Yankees on Sept. 30, 1971.
As someone who saw baseball in D.C. at its lowest point, the 76-year-old Howard can surely appreciate how far it has come: to host a playoff series in the District for the first time since before he was born.
“They’ve done a marvelous job here,” Howard said prior to today’s NLDS game at Nationals Park. “I’m happy for them. I’m happy for the fans. They’ve finally got something to shout about.”
Howard was invited by the Nationals to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4 against the Cardinals. Wearing his familiar number 33 jersey, his throw was caught by Ryan Zimmerman. (Howard began his Senator career wearing number 9 but gave it to Ted Williams when he became team manager.)
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera