Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Frank Howard threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4.
Frank Howard was a professional baseball player in Washington for seven years and just once while in town, with the 1969 Senators, played on a winning team. He was on the field for the Sens’ final game in the city, a forfeit as fans rushed the field in the ninth inning against the Yankees on Sept. 30, 1971.
As someone who saw baseball in D.C. at its lowest point, the 76-year-old Howard can surely appreciate how far it has come: to host a playoff series in the District for the first time since before he was born.
“They’ve done a marvelous job here,” Howard said prior to today’s NLDS game at Nationals Park. “I’m happy for them. I’m happy for the fans. They’ve finally got something to shout about.”
Howard was invited by the Nationals to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4 against the Cardinals. Wearing his familiar number 33 jersey, his throw was caught by Ryan Zimmerman. (Howard began his Senator career wearing number 9 but gave it to Ted Williams when he became team manager.)
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September