Oct 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Frank Howard threw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4.
Frank Howard was a professional baseball player in Washington for seven years and just once while in town, with the 1969 Senators, played on a winning team. He was on the field for the Sens’ final game in the city, a forfeit as fans rushed the field in the ninth inning against the Yankees on Sept. 30, 1971.
As someone who saw baseball in D.C. at its lowest point, the 76-year-old Howard can surely appreciate how far it has come: to host a playoff series in the District for the first time since before he was born.
“They’ve done a marvelous job here,” Howard said prior to today’s NLDS game at Nationals Park. “I’m happy for them. I’m happy for the fans. They’ve finally got something to shout about.”
Howard was invited by the Nationals to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 4 against the Cardinals. Wearing his familiar number 33 jersey, his throw was caught by Ryan Zimmerman. (Howard began his Senator career wearing number 9 but gave it to Ted Williams when he became team manager.)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October
- Nationals try to stay red-hot in Atlanta
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last