Werth every agonizing moment

Oct 11, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth rounds the bases following his walk-off homer.

Updated at 10:10 p.m.

At some point, as the at-bat dragged on and on and as he fouled off pitch after pitch after pitch, Jayson Werth lost track and had to sneak a glance at the Nationals Park scoreboard to see just how many times Lance Lynn had wound up and delivered the ball to him in the bottom of the ninth.

The scoreboard read 12 total pitches for Lynn.

“I was like, is that right?” Werth said. “I had to really study the board to make sure that was correct. But I guess it didn’t last much longer.”

No, it certainly didn’t. Seconds later, Lynn delivered his 13th pitch of the pivotal at-bat in Game 4 of the National League Division Series. Like nine of the previous 12, it was a fastball, this one registering 96 mph.

Unlike any of the others, it crossed the plate belt-high, right down the heart of the strike zone. And unlike any of the others, it wasn’t fouled off into the stands. Nor, however, did it land anywhere in the field of play.

No, this pitch landed in the back left corner of the left-field bullpen, not to mention the annals of Washington sports lore.

With one mighty swing of his bat, Werth saved the Nationals’ season, cemented his place in Nationals history and sent a throng of 44,392 into sheer pandemonium. After launching the home run that gave his team a 2-1 victory in Game 4 of the National League Division Series, Werth will never again have to justify his decision to sign a $126 million contract with a club that had never won anything before.

“This is what you play all season for,” the 32-year-old right fielder said. “This is why you work out all winter. This is why you start playing T-ball when you’re four. This is baseball, man. This is why you play.”

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Yah, I will say it again just like last year, Jayson Werth contributes in ways the fans don't see and in this case, see.

2. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Average pulse rate of Nats fans right now?????? Werth will get the credit but the pitchers kicked butt today!

3. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Is there a masn post game show?

4. Positively Half St. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!Don't talk to me about Strasburg!!!Don't tell me Werth is overpaid!!!!!!WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

5. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

In my opinion, the Nats' wins in this series have been more exciting than the Cardinals' wins in this series….

6. waddu eye no - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Werth every million. But he owes those pitchers a dinner or two

7. Anna Peregrina - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I feel too weak even to say woo-hoo …

8. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yeah, he's Werth it. Like Ghost says, not all of Werth's contributions show up in the boxscore.BUT THIS ONE DOES!!!See all the Insiders before Game 5. Meet at the usual place, 312?

9. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

That was epic!!!

10. Another_Sam - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

The pitching we've seen all year showed up today!!!I'm exhausted here on the sofa.Stubhub,here I come.

11. Will - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Fun fact: Jayson Werth saw 26.3% of all pitches thrown by the Cardinals today.It's no surprise that some patience paid off (I'm looking at you, Harper, Morse, Desmond and Espinosa).

12. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

seriously 8 Ks out of 9 batters and then Desi' play. unreal game!!!

13. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Ghost- I owe you big time for calling me on giving up. You da man!!

14. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Its an interesting dichotomy … when both teams go head-to-head with pitching and defense the Nats consistently have the edge …But when its all offense that's the Cardinal's game.It behooves the Nats and Gio to ensure its a pitching and defensive matchup in the final game.

15. MicheleS - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

WOOOOOO EFFFIN HOOOOO!!!!!!

16. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Jayson Werth was the hero — as he should be for a 9th inning walk-off home run — but the pitchers deserve the lion's share of the credit. As the Cardinals have shown repeatedly, they've got a powerful, powerful line-up. Holding them to one-run is a real accomplishment. The MVP of this game was Mr. Detwiler, with assists to Messrs. Zimmermann, Clippard, and Storen. GYFNG!

17. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I sure hope that guy DJB goes back to the Oriole sites now. I was getting more than aggravated about "Rizzo having to pay" for doing something that appears medically expedient for his starting pitchers (and not just Stras). I still can't believe such "schmuckery" … it has to come from Charm City.

18. joemktg - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Greatest Nat Moment Ever

19. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Watching that happen to my beloved Nats at Nats Park was something special. Can't imagine being there.

20. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

MicheleS @ 7:19: Well bleepin' said.

21. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Joe- true.

22. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Yep, Det did the job … as did Werth in spades. The missing third ingredient is Harper … hopefully he'll find a way to SMASH up the Cards in game 5.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You said it MicheleS. The Legion of Doom can now turn to celebratory mode in the Legion of BOOOOM

24. NatsFan05 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Wow, what a game! it was so loud when Jason hit the home run, I couldn't here the radio announcers.GO NATS! JUST WIN BABY!

25. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

How about those pitchers ??? JZim with a dominating relief appearance??? Good Clip?? Drew !!!! And the Nationsl Det??? So sweet!!

26. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Thank the baseball gods … I don't care about the legion of Doom, Gloom, or Boooom, I hope to see the Legion of SLAM as in Werth and then Bam Bam before October is done.

27. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I have been watching baseball for at least a decade and that was one of the most exciting at bats ever. 13 pitches and smack!Cards' fans are complaining about the strike zone….

28. Drew - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Hondo Magic, BAYBEE!My voice is so ragged from cheering yesterday that I sound like Harvey Fierstein doing a Stevie Nicks impression.GYFNG!!!!!

29. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Well, we can go into tomorrow's game with no excuses.Gio needs to get it done and Bryce needs to get the bat on the ball.

30. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Remember Jayson after the rain delay against Miami? That.'s the Jayson we know and love! 13 pitched—wow. Hope they stay fired up!!

31. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

This is exhausting …

32. bobfromalexandria - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Knew it al the time!

33. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

We sure could use a turn-the-tables blow out tomorrow …

34. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Ladies and Gentleman– your new Mr. October!!

35. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Ladies and Gentleman– your new Mr. October!!We need 2. Werth and Harper are like Tinker and Chance … they are the keys to uncorking this offense.

36. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Desi saved a run in the 8th, too.

37. TimDz - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Over?Did you say over?NOTHING is over until WE say it's over!And a season to remember just got better…

38. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Hopefully, this wasn't like Pete Rose's game winning homer in game four in 1973 against the Mets. Unfortunately, there is not really a lot of momentum, if any, in baseball….

39. Another_Sam - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MicheleS — were you at the park today?

40. waddu eye no - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Gotta hear charlie & dave before that last pitch. Too long to type w my thumbs. Hope it gets posted somewhere

41. Nicky - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Can I just say that this was sorta fun …. Just like Willie Mays was a sorta good outfielder.

42. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Sunday and Thursday's games were two of the most exciting that I have seen….

43. Another_Sam - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

waddu – charlie and dave called it.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Detwiler pitched great. Except for the walk to Kozma, it was well executed.I wish it was Game 5

45. djinFl. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

What a game! Outside in the gazebo, spending the final 3 innings standing and cheering our pitchers performances, and then having it closed out by Jason in an epic at bat. This is playoff baseball at it's best.Nats in 5!

46. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

If anyone finds a Charlie and Dave link, please share it. I bet their call was awesome.

47. Nicky - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Charlie and Dave not exactly called it … But pretty damn close.

48. baseballswami - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I just hijacked my Philly relatives Facebook pages. They are not at all amused by my Werthquake. That was really fun, though.

49. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

BTW, whatever happened to the ball Adam LaRoche hit into the batter's eye area for his home run? For an inning or so the Postseason.tv cameras kept showing it sitting there. Did anyone — a fan, an usher — ever collect it?

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Baseballswami at 7:08, you can hug me any time. I know what some of these players have inside them. Jayson Werth is a special person. He is what is called in business a "change agent". He is more than stats.

51. Uncle Atom - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ah yes, we had 'em all the wayyyyy!

52. Anna Peregrina - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I hope Charlie and Dave's comments are on the MLB recap. They "summoned" the HR.

53. peric - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Now, if the Orioles could just lose … it will make it perfect symmetry!

54. Bigfish - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Who throws out the first pitch tomorrow? My pick would be Livo and/or The Chief.

55. Bigfish - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Remembrance of Things Past…..

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I will share a cool story from last night. Det and his fiance' and parents left the stadium to head home and in spontaneous Natitude, everyone started applauding him.If Mark has a chance, I wonder what that moment meant to him. I know his father appreciated it as he shook hands with fans.

57. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Uh Ghost who won the President's race? He says sardonically … You know what they ought to let Werth win it again …

58. Constant Reader - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Most exciting game I have witnessed in my entire life. That is all.

59. Natslifer - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Does anyone have a link to Charlie and Dave's call?? My brother from Oklahoma told me I have to listen to it!

60. Shark Attack - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

61. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Finally back in my car as my battery died. Sitting with The Ghost SteveM at the end of the game and he says that if Werth can get him to 3-2 he should get something over the plate to drive and get that Walk Off. It was hard to tell on that 2-2 pitch as Lynn thought he had it and Werth got his 3-2 pitch and didn't miss the next one!!!!The last 2 days are like polar opposites and we stayed to the end. It was also so cool to see all the young kids with their families here to enjoy this. In bandwagon mentality, so many of them didn't show up today and they are right back to wanting to be there tomorrow. For anyone who says again that paying Werth wasn't worth $126 million, think again!

62. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I've never felt sressed watching basebal till today. After the Cards tied it up in the second, I lived every pitch like it was life and death.Absolutely beautiful!!! The kind of game that makes me know that certain posters to this site know absolutely nothing about this game.

63. phil dunton - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Nice win! Now we need to get the bats going and keep Gio from getting too high strung tomorrow.

64. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

NatsJack, I wish you were sharing this moment in person with you. We were talking about you throughout the game my friend!

65. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

TRUE STORY: As I was crossing the street to go into the homeplate entrance, I got hit by a FREAKIN CAR. Luckily no damage done. The Baseball Gods wanted me to see that game. Can't wait for tomorrow night! My nephew is coming with me for this one.. managed to not get grounded so far this year.I am SOOO HAPPY FOR DET! Told you he would pitch a GEM!!! That was just amazing. That AB by Jayson was EPIC!

66. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM

An O's fan called into the Nats show on 106.7 and said he likes both the Nats and Os and didn't know why so many Os fans hate the Nats. I hate to tell him that it works both ways but most Nats fans hate Angelos and what he did. Os fans hate the Nats strictly for jealous reasons. Why would Os fans hate the Nats?

67. Eugene in Oregon - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Natslifer @ 8:20: You can find it on the WashPost website.

68. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Thanks Gonat……You know the only thing that exceeds my love for the Nats and you guys is my love for my dogs. But tonite even Armando and the late Natasha take a back seat for the Nats and my beloved friends.

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

NatsJack, can you make it tomorrow?

70. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Maybe.:-God, I wish…I won't know till I get to the office tomorrow. I'll check back by 10:00 AM in the morning.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

NatsJack, so great to share with friends as I have been hanging with your normal group. They are knowledgeable and bought me many drinks, BONUS!I did call the situation with Werth!

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM

NatsJack, I leave on Saturday and will be back if you know what I mean.

73. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

NatsJack.. COME ON!!!!Ghost/Gonat. you need to let me know where you are sitting, so I can finally meet Ghost!

74. timeless46 - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Just got back from the game. Went to the game yesterday and was depressed. But this afternoon I said screw it, this season ain't over yet. Went on stubhub and bought a single ticket. Best purchase I have ever made. WHAT. A. GAME.

75. mick - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Just got back!!!!! OMFING G!!!!!! This is up there with going to the 2002 NCAA Terp Final Four, I will never forget what I was a part of…. I have no voice left….. now it is CORONA TIME for the MICKSTER!!!!!

76. NatsLady - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Just got back. Unbelievable. I have NO voice left!!! I was listening to Charlie&Dave on my headset. I mean, they SUMMONED it. Gotta find that clip!

77. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I think my heart rate is finally coming back to earth. I will float on this for the next 23 and a half hours.

78. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

NatsLady — Dan Steinberg on twitter or Washington Post site. You can't hear them very much with the crowd roar but what they said before it was prophetic.

79. Constant Reader - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Just listened to Charlie and Dave's call as well. Totally captures the moment and the utter hysteria in the place. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/11/audio-jayson-werths-walk-off-home-run/

80. mick - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I heard the clip…. it is priceless!!! they are talking about the Marlins walk off homer Jayson hit in July and one of them says I hope we can get that summer magic back…. them BANG ZOOM!!!!UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

81. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Work has me coming up to Wilmington, DE. the week of the WS. But I tomorrow really has my blood boiling.Where's that strong willed JayB tonite now that his weak kneed Nats have a game 5?

82. pk24 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Just got home. What a game! JZim bringing three 97 MPH fastballs in a row. As FP would say "are you kidding"Can't wait for tomorrow night.

83. rabbit34 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

A Mazing!

84. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I am so proud of Ross Detwiler. I've met his Dad and I can tell you he comes from good stock.Ghost, I hope you're now all in for this kid. He's just scratching the surface.

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

MicheleS, I offered to meet you all after yesterday's game and nobody responded.

86. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Ghost.. Phone died.. Crap reception in the park.. Nats need to fix it. Have Gonat tweet me your location or I can swing by!

87. Exposremains - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Wow!

88. Joe Hardy - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Greatest NATS game EVER!! Better than beating the Yankees in 2006!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8CpIg2fvU

89. SpingfieldNatsFan1 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Just got home from the game. Section 404. BEST GAME EVER! BEST CROWD EVER!

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM

NatsJack, you know what I wrote after July 17th on Ross. He transformed himself. Still doesn't have the body mass but learned to be a pitcher by observing the 3 studs in front of him.I was on Ross that day. Today he pitched smart. Im wondering if McCatty and the scouts finally got together and game planned this or this was Det and Suzuki.

91. rogieshan - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Dramatic win, but Harper, Morse and Espinosa still MIA. Hope they could feed off of this victory tonight.

92. ehay2k - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Just got home. That was EPIC!!! Was late to the game due to last minute meeting rescheduling. I was not a happy camper. Scurried into the park at the top of the seventh, and watched Jordan mow 'em down as I stood in line for my solo beer before last call. Nice that Nats park, unlike some other "more beautiful" parks, is laid out so you can see the game while getting beer or food.Found my ST syndicate friends sitting in sec 100, and started stressing. Then Werth's AB. Wow! My buddy said – "he's fouling the hard ones off, but if he gets something below 97 over the plate, it's going to the bullpen." Then Jaegler says something about Werth's HR after the rain delay (against the Fish?)Next pitch, BOOM! And then the ballpark goes ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!! (bilingual emphasis added)Un- flipping real! See you all tomorrow!

93. sm13 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Wow, all I can say is WOW (and woooooohooooo). What a great momemt in Nats history. Jayson's at bat will be legendary for a long time in this town. Now let's take care of business on Friday. I'll be there again yelling GO GIO, GO NATS!!P.S. It was great to meet some Insiders tonight. Thanks for the hospitality!

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Rogie, don't worry about Harper as he is close. Espi is lost and the Cards book on Morse is away away away. Hope they make a mistake to Morse or he takes some walks. Other thing is taking a page from TyMo in that they were pitching him away and he said he cheated in closer to the plate.

95. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM

It's so much fun watching the AL trying to play REAL baseball.

96. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM

MicheleS, I will send you a message tomorrow! Hope you are OK after your brush with death!

97. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Remember where you are so you'll remember where you were. I was in the park for Zim's walk off the night Nats Park opened. I will never forget it. I will never forget this either. Earlier in the game I had the thought that a tie game was a perfect set up for a walk off. The deeper Jayson got into that count the better I thought his chances were. So awesome. This absolutely will be a huge moment in the history of the Washington Nationals.

98. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

MicheleS said… TRUE STORY: As I was crossing the street to go into the homeplate entrance, I got hit by a FREAKIN CAR. Luckily no damage done.No damage to you, or no damage to the car?We need you tomorrow. We don't need you on the DL. All hands on deck.As Jayson Man of the Hour Werth put it:"It's Game Five. All bets are off."The greatest season gets ever greater. I am spent. There's not enough Maalox in North America. I am devising a Maalox drip directly into my stomach walls to eliminate the middle man. I am SO READY for Friday night.

99. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I'm still exhausted from this … have to wonder how the players are feeling?

100. natsfan1a - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Michele, I missed hearing about the accident if you mentioned it when we were all together, but glad that you're okay. Oh, and thanks for the Pepcid. :-)sm13, it was nice to meet you and other Insiders, and to renew acquaintance with those I'd met before. Thanks to Mark for stopping by. Sorry we missed you, 222.Natscan, re. your earlier post, happy to have here!natscan reduxit said… … we're into the sixth and still tied at 1; Detwiler still on the mound but signs are that he'll be replaced soon. The game's not over yet but I simply want to say this before it's too late. Thank you to Mark Z and all the folks who make NatsInsider a reality. Sitting up here in the frozen boonies as I do, without another curly W in sight for miles (or kilometres), if NI wasn't here, I'd be lost in a wasteland where baseball means Red Sox and Yankees, and the Expos but a distant memory for even the few who remember. … NI has made it possible for me to transfer my curly M to a W and to hitch my diamond-studded wagon to one of the best teams in the show, and one of the best bunch of fans anywhere. Go Nats!! all year long! October 11, 2012 5:53 PM

101. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Dan Steinberg just tweeted that their are 2,000 less tix on StubHub in 40 minutes after the walkoff.

102. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

So I guess the sites self annointed genious is waiting for those of us that socialize to disappear so he can yabber to those unwashed that need his (or hers) brilliance.I'll watch the Birds and the Evil Empire.

103. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Sorry, genious….. missed your post….. but yes… we are all pleasantly exhausted.

104. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Did you all notice Jordan Zimmermann today? He was fist pumping and showing more animation than I have ever seen. Ryan Zimmerman also showing it as he hugged Jayson. They have been holding all that intensity inside. No wonder they have been offensively constipated.

105. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Anybody got the replay of JZ walking off the mount. Saw the comments that he showed emotion? Really???? WOW.. JZ.. love ya buddy!

106. sm13 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Thanks Constant for the link to Charlie and Dave's audio — it gave me goosebumps. I can't believe we get to do this all over again on Friday!

107. SonnyG10 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Just got back from the game and WOW!!! I am so proud of Det. What a pitching performance, and by the way, the relievers weren't bad either. And I think Jayson Werth earned every one of those $126 million with the walkoff tonight. I just love this team.I really enjoyed finally meeting some of you Nats Insiders tonight. I'll try to stop by the 312 picnic tables again tomorrow night and hope to meet some more of my virtual friends.

108. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Wait.. Does this mean I need to get hit by a car tomorrow night?

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

110. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Thanks, Constant Reader, for the C&D radio call link. Tremendous stuff. They called it. They summoned it. Out-freaking-standing. I love those two guys.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

NatsJack, the Evil Empire is less evil than Angelos. Hard to believe.

112. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Still doesn't have the body mass but learned to be a pitcher by observing the 3 studs in front of him.He's been steadily improving … the big difference, again, is Rizzo's original strategy for young, wet behind the ears, pitchers like Det. You don't immediately throw them into the fire the way Bowden did with him. You start them off at the back of the rotation where they aren't expected to be the stopper or the work horse of the rotation. Last few years he and Zimmermann were expected to come in an work miracles. This year everyone slid into a slot they were comfortable in. Some, like Gio, and Detwiler, overachieved. And at the end of the season when he was needed most he rose to the challenge.

113. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

MicheleS, a tap by a car would be helpful.

114. sm13 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

MicheleS — I for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, hope you can skip the part about getting hit by the car. Hope you're okay and have a safer trip tomorrow.

115. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

NatsJack, the Evil Empire is less evil than Angelos. Hard to believe.Its a decaying empire anyway … Angelos is lucky all of the retreads, the dumpster dipping here and in Asia scored for him. He won't put any money into that organization.

116. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

COOKIES FOR DET! Dude showed some serious onions tonight!!! I am just so happy. After yesterday's gut punch, just great seeing the boys respond that way. Found the JZ reaction (really quite a bit of emotion from him) on Nats web site.I can't believe that i have to work tomorrow!!!!

117. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, hope you can skip the part about getting hit by the car.Try cycling around DC. You take your life in your hands believe me I completely understand where MicheleS is coming from.

118. Constant Reader - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I played it for Mrs. Constant. Dave Stockton's call was tepid in comparison, but what really comes through is the crowd. That's what it felt like. Heaven knows I was screaming my fool head off.

119. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

MicheleS -if you go to the nationals site, click on video — go to the video where it says nats reliever strike out eight in a row ( which, by the way, was very thrilling) and you will be able to see some of JZ's alter-ego. For those of you who were not posting during the game. The last thing I posted when Jayson went down 0-2, was that he looked absolutely paralyzed at the plate. He then batted for six straight minutes and hit a bomb. Who would you like me to insult tomorrow?

120. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Peric, that's a valid point. The seeding of the rotation was done to enhance their abilities to start the season but then as teams have days off you see Det facing number 1s so the pressure is always there.Det has said it many times that he became a different student of the game. He changed his approach.

121. rogieshan - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Ghost of Steve M. said,"I identified 3 names last off-season and coincidentally 2 of the 3 came up huge in the postseason, Coco Crisp and Joe Saunders. Winners sometimes show up on the largest stage."Please tell me Xavier Nady wasn't the 3rd name. ;)

122. Dave - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

All righty, then, so I get to see one more Nats game on Friday!Man, that couldn't have ended much better. Werth drives the 13th pitch of the at-bat over the fence to keep us alive!I presume the NI get-together is once again behind 312 at about 7:30? I will come by and try to meet and say hello to a few more Insiders.What a week! GYFNG!

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Peric, you know Angelos well. He is a troll with a ton of dough.

124. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Rogie, the 3rd was Mark Buehrle.

125. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Det has said it many times that he became a different student of the game. He changed his approach.Most all are students of the game starting with Bryce Harper and running through all the young pitchers. But, it seems best to me at least, to place them in situations where they have the best chance to succeed and learn. IMHO both Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson have done that. With all of them. Its why I can see why Rizzo "arrogantly" predicts a return to the playoffs multiple times. They have done their due diligence with these players. Now, its time to watch them express their talent as Davey likes to put it. Yes, there certainly was a plan … and a good one but it required the convergence of a great many serendipitous events to make it successful.

126. John C. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

It was so loud in the park when Werth walked us all off that I didn't realize that they set off the fireworks until I listened to the radio call on the link. Who knew? :DAmazing game. They never gave up, and never surrendered. And neither did the fans. HUGE night for baseball in DC, whatever happens.GYFNG!!

127. John C. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

MichelleS, it's called taking one for the team ;)

128. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

After a couple of blah games, there were many special moments today – it's only after I come down from the rush of the walk off that I start to relive the others. Det was superb, that streak of relief – 8 K's in a row, followed by Desi's catch. Lots of grinding, jams, getting out of them, pitches thrown, pitches fouled off. The crowd looked ridiculous on tv. I do miss FP and Carp, though. It just doesn't seem right not to share it with them. Poster of the game goes to Ghost, who refused to give up hope or let anyone else go there.

129. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

"I identified 3 names last off-season and coincidentally 2 of the 3 came up huge in the postseason, Coco Crisp and Joe Saunders. No, not Nady or Gomes, certainly purportedly washed up Raul Ibannez the Nats killer would be third in that list of dumpster scores.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Rogie, the good news is Gio replaced Buehrle.

131. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Interesting fact I just read on twitter — Justin Verlander will make more money this year than the entire Oakland A's playoff pitching staff. Wow.

132. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Hmm so lets see:Joe Saunders or Gio GonzalezCoco Crisp or Bryce HarperMark Buehrle or Ross DetwilerPrince Fielder or Adam LaRoche.Its a good thing Rizzo and Johnson are in charge because it sure looks to me like they made the right choices …

133. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I would like to commend whoever made the comment in the earlier threads (not sure how, so chime in).to paraphrase: Our wins are much better than the Cards wins. GO GIO!!!!

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

135. Joe Seamhead - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

We just got home. I'm hoarse, tired, excited,thrilled for the whole Nats Nation, especially Jayson and Ross.Screw the doom. Praise the Boom!Does Davey Johnson have a set, or what?Wow, just, Wow!We didn't know that the"In Crowd" was meeting again before today's game, but so happy to have met the ones we did yesterday, along with our esteemed host, Mr. Zuckerman.We got this.GYFNG!!!

136. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Justin Verlander will make more money this year than the entire Oakland A's playoff pitching staff. Wow.And they are young enough and talented enough that they just might be back … have to wonder if this season will put an ember under San Jose as far as getting them ensconced there with a new stadium.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Peric, don't pair them up to your liking because that was never the way it went down.Saunders was EJax.

138. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

JoeS.. I think Sec 312 should just be renamed for the Nats Insiders..1A.. if you are at the game tomorrow… I will bring more pepcid.

139. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

My off-season pickups this year are Lohse and Ian Kinsler unless Rizzo can get me King Felix.I am hoping Rizzo finds a way to trade for David Price, another top of the rotation left-handed starter … needed next year for the Braves, Phils, and Marlins … under team control until 2016. May be too expensive for TBR under arbitration. No one is sure about Sois and Purke at this point.

140. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

And your daily dose of…Boz

141. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Saunders was EJax.Saunders is a lefty as is Buehrle. There is a difference Ghost.

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I like lefties Peric.

143. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Ok – so I can't stop watching the replay. Anyone else? I hope I hear the sweet tones of Charlie and Dave in my dreams tonight. I think of Jayson, lying on the ground in pain, getting heckled – and now this. Kharma is a b$%#^. Because who is at home and who is still playing? My Filly relatives are just bitter right now because they no longer have Jayson, Raul, Victorino or Pence. Three of the four are in the postseason, the fourth came close.

144. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Swami.. keep rubbing it in. One of my closest friends is a Phoolie and he has suddenly dropped of the face of the earth.. Coincidence? It think not.

145. dcdingo - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

That was the best baseball game I have ever attended. Cat and mouse between pitching and batting. Fans sweating on every play, with everything on the line. Tied all the way to the bottom of the ninth. Jayson Werth fouling off pitch after pitch before making the big hit that let us have at least one more night of this wonderful thing called post-season baseball. "Let's go Nats" chants continued down to the Metro. Special thanks to the pitching staff, and Ian Desmond for a great catch.

146. NatsNut - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

ohmygosh that was LEGENDARY! And I LOVE the Charlie and Dave call. In fact, as I was walking out of the ballpark I told my buddy that I would love to have heard them call it. swami, i'm loving that you have a sense of humor about your earlier comments. I missed all of today's posts so when I got home I started from the beginning and obviously knowing the outcome, your comments were hilarious. good stuff.But man, I just keep hitting rewind on that home run. Absolutely the best night ever. I screamed so loud and long I actually got a little light headed and started to see black spots.

147. NatsNut - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Boy do tonight's pitchers deserve credit. They DOMINATED.Oh, and speaking of eating crow, please sir, may I have another?NatsNut said…Don't get me wrong, I'm still crazy for this team, including Detwiler. The kid has impressed me (just about) all year. But you're telling me that between him, Gio, Edwin and Jordan, Detwiler is our STOPPER? After those last two starts of his? Oy. Unless he channels Levale Speigner, I just don't know.October 10, 2012 9:24 PM

148. MicheleS - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

From the NY Times:Nats

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

150. JaneB - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Best game I've ever been to, hands down. And a terrific piece of writing, too, Mark. Up there with the Strasmas piece. I also didn't know there were fireworks until I heard about it on the radio driving home.Michelle, I hope you're feeling uninjured! Signing off from over the moon!

151. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I really need to sleep tonight. I have to stop staying up to watch all these other game and I can always watch more replays and clips in the morning :) Seriously, though, Jordan was lethal in the seventh inning. MLB network showcased him at his best. He was throwing bullets. I hope he has unleashed his inner beast. That was awesome. I hope this win will open up the floodgates.

152. Gonat - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… I was in the car when Charlie was summoning the homer. The earlier homer that Werth hit vs. Marlins was not July it was Sept 9. Was at the game. October 11, 2012 10:48 PM __________________________________Werth's last HR was Sept 8th that tied the game vs the Marlins. This was his 1st Walkoff HR with the Nats although he has had walkoff hits with the Nats.

153. natsfan1a - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I don't think so, but thanks for being willing to take one for the team. :-)MicheleS said… Wait.. Does this mean I need to get hit by a car tomorrow night? October 11, 2012 9:46 PM

154. natsfan1a - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Oh, John C. beat me to it.

155. natsfan1a - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Thanks, MicheleS. My stomach feels better, but I'm not sure if it was the pepcid or the walk-off. Don't have a ticket for tomorrow unless I decide to check out StubHub. hmmm…MicheleS said… 1A.. if you are at the game tomorrow… I will bring more pepcid. October 11, 2012 10:09 PM peric said…

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM

That was Jayson Werth's 14th postseason HR and his 3rd.vs Cardinals.

157. RickH - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Okay, I was at yesterday's game but not today's. But I'm going tomorrow. In order to avoid being the bad luck charm, do I need to get hit by a car?

158. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Forget the Pepcid. Forget the Tums. To better prepare for tomorrow night, I am devising an intravenous Maalox drip directly into my intestines, circumventing the usual route.I am counting the hours to 8:37 p.m. Friday when the loyal order of the world's largest outdoor insane asylum reconvenes.I'll be the tall guy with the straw hat and the tubes hanging out.GYFNG!!

159. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM

The Orioles appear to be just as stubborn about not going away … now in the 13th 1-1.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Tigers just pouring it on the A's.

161. Section 3, My Playoffs Sofa - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM

And everybody gets a game five this year.

162. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Maybe not "the Giants win the Pennant! The Giants win the Pennant!, but pretty damn good call and here is a link:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/11/audio-jayson-werths-walk-off-home-run/

163. Candide - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Cunegonde and I missed the first two games 'cuz we were out of the country, so this was an agonizing treat. When JZnn struck out the side, for the first time, I started thinking we were going to win. And around pitch number nine of Werth's AB,I started looking for Werth too hit it out – seems to happen a lot when a pitcher throws a ton of foul balls at a batter.Cunegonde and I have opera tickets tonight. Hell and blast and damn…

164. peric - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The link to "read more" appears to be broken.

165. baseballswami - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

After a couple of really bad pitching performances, yesterday's were truly inspiring. Ross was so good, but when JZ came in, Mr. Stoic was actually the one that ramped up the intensity with his rare show of in your face aggression. Clip and Store matched him. I could feel the buzz ratcheting up. Then desi laid out on a full out effort, too. It was like they were urging each other on. What an inspiring battle. They set up the moment for Jayson perfectly.

166. m20832 - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

so the Lerner's only paid $126 million for this WINNER named Jason "BANG ZOOM GAME SAVING, SEASON SAVING" Werth?Money WELL Spent!!!