Oct 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson hugs Ross Detwiler after a six-inning start in Game 4.
When Ross Detwiler took the mound on Thursday afternoon, he essentially held the Nationals' 2012 season in his left hand. Three straight games the team's starting pitching wasn't what it had been all year, the offense had been putrid and Stephen Strasburg's name was starting to come up in the media.
Detwiler, after all, wouldn't have been pitching Game 4 if Strasburg were on the roster.
It was a lot of pressure for a 26-year-old in his first full season as a regular starting pitcher. He could have easily caved but instead pitched six stellar innings, allowing just three hits and zero earned runs to a scorching-hot Cardinals lineup.
Veteran Jayson Werth, the eventual hero with his ninth-inning walk-off homer, spoke proudly of the young lefty.
"Media can say whatever they want; we know the type of guy Ross is and what he brings to the team,” Werth said. "I said yesterday, I felt good about where we were at. I felt like Ross would handle business."Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September