Oct 12, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It all comes down to Game 5 tonight at Nationals Park.
And so it has come to this: A winner-take all, decisive Game 5 of the National League Division Series, the Nationals and Cardinals hoping to emerge victorious tonight and advance to face the awaiting Giants in the National League Championship Series beginning Sunday night (either in D.C. or San Francisco).
As was the case for Game 4, Davey Johnson will have an extra arm available in his bullpen: Edwin Jackson. Unlike Game 4, though, Johnson wouldn't use Jackson in a setup role like he did with Jordan Zimmermann. Sounds like the only way Jackson would appear in this game is if it goes extra innings.
Before it ever gets to that point, of course, Gio Gonzalez and Adam Wainwright will take center stage, a rematch of starters from Game 1 in St. Louis and an Aug. 31 encounter here at Nationals Park (a 10-0 blowout win for the Nats). We should have a sense early how both pitchers are going to be, and with the late starting time, there won't be any talk of sun or shadows for this game.
It will, however, be much colder than it's been for any game all season. If you're one of the lucky ones holding tickets, make sure to bundle up. You'll need to with a steady wind blowing in from left field.
Enjoy this game, everyone. You never know when you're going to get to experience another one like it. Plenty of updates and analysis here, as always, throughout…
NATIONAL LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES – GAME 5
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 8:37 p.m. EDT
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), WTEM (980 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 52 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation