Oct 23, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche could have several suitors if he hits the open market.
It's no secret the Nationals' top priority this offseason is to re-sign Adam LaRoche. And it's no secret LaRoche wants to return to the Nationals in search of the first World Series ring of his career.
So it should be a no-brainer for the two sides to come together and work out a new contract before the veteran first baseman ever hits the open market, right?
Sadly, it's never that simple.
LaRoche, coming off the best season of his career, is going to want to be fairly rewarded for his performance. And the Nationals, trying to win now but not wanting to hamstring themselves down the road, aren't going to want to commit too much money or too many years to a mid-30s slugger whose numbers may start to wane.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Manuel likely to accept advisor role with Phillies
- Point/Counterpoint: 20+ starts for Detwiler?
- Protective headgear for pitchers possible for 2014
- Nationals trade Brown back to Athletics
- Chien-Ming Wang gets another shot with Reds
- Nationals will need to sort out bullpen roles
- Livan Hernandez auctioning off baseball from 1st Nats pitch
- Braves add Ryan Doumit to catcher mix
- Court: MLB can depose A-Rod's cousin in drug suit
- Nats keeping AAA club in Syracuse through '18