Oct 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman's shoulder injury hampered him at the plate and in the field.
Though he managed to make it through the full season thanks to a series of cortisone shots, Ryan Zimmerman knew all along he might need offseason surgery to repair his ailing right shoulder.
The Nationals third baseman indeed had the procedure, undergoing arthroscopic surgery this morning to repair the AC joint sprain that hampered him throughout 2012.
The surgery, performed by Nationals orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih, will require a six-week recovery process. General manager Mike Rizzo said Zimmerman is expected to be fully healed well in advance of spring training.
The Nationals believe Zimmerman initially sustained the injury in April after making several diving attempts in the field and once while trying to score on a play at the plate. He received a cortisone shot shortly after and spent two weeks on the disabled list to rest theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory