World Series Game 3: Giants at Tigers

Oct 27, 2012, 8:33 PM EDT

US Presswire photo
The Fall Classic shifts to chilly Comerica Park tonight.

Is a 2-0 series deficit insurmountable? No, it's certainly happened before. But make no mistake, the Tigers really have their backs against the wall now as the 108th World Series shifts to chilly Comerica Park for the next three nights. A Detroit club that entered this Fall Classic as slight favorites because of ace Justin Verlander and a deep and potent lineup didn't play well at all in Games 1 and 2 in San Francisco and needs to get back on track in a hurry.

A couple of signs that may point in the Tigers' favor tonight for Game 3: 1) They fared much better against right-handers (62-49) than left-handers (26-25) during the regular season, 2) Anibal Sanchez has posted a 2.07 ERA over his last nine starts and 3) Detroit gets to use its regular lineup (with Delmon Young as DH) while San Francisco is forced to use backup catcher Hector Sanchez in the DH role.

One big sign, however, that points in the Giants' favor: Ryan Vogelsong has been dominant this month, going 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA in three postseason starts.

So, how will this pivotal Game 3 play out? If you're the Tigers, you've got to jump out to an early lead (their first of the series). If you're the Giants and you get ahead first, all the momentum remains on your side. Enjoy the game, and enjoy the discussion in the comments section (I'll be participating again myself)…

THE 108TH WORLD SERIES – GAME 3
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 8:07 p.m. EDT
TV: Fox
Radio: 980 AM, 92.7 FM, 94.3 FM, XM 178
Weather: Partly cloudy, 46 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to CF

GIANTS
CF Angel Pagan
2B Marco Scutaro
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Buster Posey

1. MicheleS - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I want the Giants to win the WS, but good lord I want the Tigers to make tough on them.

2. SonnyG10 - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Go Giants! The sooner the WS is over, the sooner we can get to hot stove and the Nats.

3. baseballswami - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

My prediction before the series started was that it would go seven.In order for that to happen, the Tigers are going to have to win a game here soon. I also would love to see at least one extra inning game.Thought that might happen in game two for a while. Since my team isn't in it anymore, I have a mean streak and I want to see as much baseball as possible. When the Nats were in it I wanted the fewest games possible because it was so stressful. I didn't get that wish as we went to five games. So in order to avoid the dark times we call the off season – I want the whole seven games. Ending with a win by the National League. And thanks for keeping things civil and fun here, Mark.

4. MicheleS - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Swami.. apparantly you can stream the Japan WS online and let's not forget the best thing about the MLB Network in winter – Australian Baseball League!!!

5. SonnyG10 - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Ok, for you swami, I take back my wish to end the WS soonest. May it go seven games with the Giants winning.

6. dabassguy1 - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Put me firmly in the rooting for seven games camp. The more baseball to watch before the off season, the better. When the Nats are not in it, I root for the team that has not won it in the longest time. That puts me in the Tigers camps. Tigers in seven.

7. baseballswami - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Sorry – have to stick with real baseball – Go National League! Isn't Vogelsong the guy that the ancient 2011 Marlins manager called " that volkswagon guy"? Seems like the Giants have a lot of characters with interesting back stories. Well- San Fransisco really is that type of city anyway.

8. SCNatsFan - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

9. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Let''s get this thing over with. National League "attention to detail" fundamental baseball over Sunday Afternoon 10 Man Softball. The sooner it's over, the sooner we get answers on our 2013 Nats.

10. natsfan1a - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM

My old friend in California wants it to end before Monday so that she doesn't have to channel-surf between the Giants and the Niners on Monday. That could be tough, though. Go, GIANTS!!

11. Feel Wood - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM

SCNatsFan said… Can you imagine, weather wise, if the next two nights games were scheduled in DC?Couldn't have happened. Any WS games in DC this week wouldn't have been until Wednesday and Thursday. There could have been games in Baltimore though.

12. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM

"National League "attention to detail" fundamental baseball over Sunday Afternoon 10 Man Softball."Perfect, NatsJack, Just Perfect.I can't really root for the Giants. I just want it over. My broom is out. Actually it's in my garage … next to my red "Natitude" towel.(Insert long sigh here…)

13. baseballswami - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

NatsJack–love your way with words! Will Posey and Cabrera both be MVP's in their leagues? Seems like it must be rare for the MVP for each league to end up in the series together. Buster Posey's remarkable recovery and his abilities on offense and defense are things I really admire- just from a pure baseball standpoint. Hoping for a tightly contested, well-played game.

14. natsfan1a - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

On the plus paw re. Natitude towels, at least none of us will be day-to-day or even on the DL due to rotator cuff injuries, as might have happened had we experienced more in-person postseason games. :-)

15. baseballswami - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Can't adjust to AL baseball. Shortstop batting ninth.

16. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Game on. Slightly different look in cold, dark Detroit than there was in bright, warm San Francisco. Also love the Tigers home uniforms, which in my opinion are among the best in the game.

17. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Thanks again to previous posters who suggested syncing up the tv with ESPN radio. So much better.

18. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Gee, I bet Annibel Sanchez doesn't miss being a Marlin.

19. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Last place team to the World Series. Ozzie Guillen to Jim Leyland. No brainer. Best thing that ever happened to him.

20. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

And the Tigers squander another golden opportunity to do some early damage as Prince Fielder grounds into an inning-ending double in the bottom of the first with two men on. Have to say, that was a really nice turn by Marco Scutaro and Brandon Crawford and then a nifty scoop at first base by Brandon Belt to complete the 4-6-3 DP.

21. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Blanco crushed that ball.

22. John C. - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Sanchez channeling his inner HRod

23. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Sanchez is consistently inconsistent. I presume he's one of those pitchers who has trouble repeating his mechanics.

24. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

So.. Sanchez not looking to good right now.

25. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM

And the Giants have once again taken an early lead thanks to none other than former Syracuse Chief Gregor Blanco, who belted a 3-2 breaking ball from Anibal Sanchez to deep right-center for an RBI triple. Blanco then scored on Brandon Crawford's base hit to center (with Austin Jackson misplaying the ball and letting Crawford reach third). It's 2-0, and as the World Series reaches its 20th inning, Detroit still has not held a lead at any point.

26. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I have the distinct feeling that we will be seeing lots of relievers tonight. Vogelsong tossed a bunch also.

27. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM

It looks like Sanchez is out already

28. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM

This is going to be a long game. Long counts, fouling, calling time. Very slow pace.

29. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Well swami, if you don't get seven games, maybe you get some long ones.

30. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Doritos Taco? Meh.. I will pass

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Anibal is badly missing the target and the Giants are helping him.

32. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Who is going out on Tuesday between 2 and 6 pm to get a free taco? Sandy just saved that guy a bunch of money.

33. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM

And if they lose power, you'd get your taco cold.

34. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Boy am I glad Fox took time to take our attention off the game so we could listen to a scintillating interview with the "innovation officer" at Taco Bell. Somebody needs to break out a stopwatch and record how much time of the broadcast is dedicated to actual baseball and how much is dedicated to advertisements. I'm thinking it's at best 50-50, maybe worse.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Mark, it's a good point as if the viewers are brain dead not to know when Fox is advertising. Worse is those forced interviews with actors that appear in Fox shows that just happen to be attending the game.

36. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Sync up your tv with espn radio. It's awesome. This is my second game doing it — finally found a signal when Mark posted that the am station is simulcast on fm. If you want to get it in real time, you need a dvr or it will be slightly off. Still really worth doing – and it's free. Orel Hershiser is quite good.

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Brian Goodwin lit it up again today. 2-4 with 2 triples + 2 walks.Skole was 1-2 with 2 walks and was pulled in the 8th. Not sure why.

38. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Well, Sanchez is starting to bear down now and has gotten through the fourth without allowing any more runs. Now, about that Detroit lineup, which seems to excel at only one thing: hitting into double plays…

39. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

okay. the 2 different eye colors are freaking me out

40. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Fox really milking the commercials–they don't return until that first pitch is reaching the bat. You almost miss the first pitch of the inning.

41. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Just getting started with this. I've got the Detroit radio feed synced with the Fox picture. So even when Fox decides to do a three-minute commercial, I'll still know what's going on.Detroit needs to get something on the board. I'm not keen to see a sweep by the Giants, although I'm all for the NL team winning.

42. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM

43. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Commericals? How's about the use of the green screen behind the left-handed batters box that rolls ads all game long. Now showing Chevy.

44. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Wait- are those contact lenses? His eyes are really like that ?? Listening to the radio, but they sure are showing Scherzer a lot. How about we watch the players that are actually in the game?

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

At least Detroit can't hit into a doubleplay here.

46. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Actually, Gonat, I was wondering whether Fox was having some kind of technical problems. That green screen showed green for a long time. I think they usually have it sold for ads, but it was bright green for about a full inning.

47. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Xavier Nady sighting!!!!

48. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Xavier Nady sighting!

49. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I owe you a Coke, swami!

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM

"Layaway is back at Wal-Mart"

51. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Great minds think alike.

52. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM

So, how do you feel about Question 7?

53. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:48 AM

NL, I was thinking the same as you about the free tacos. That Top Taco guy isn't going to give away a lot of those babies on the east coast. Heck, the Taco Bell stores will probably be without power!

54. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

NatsLady, give me questions 1-6 first.

55. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

NL.. Everytime I see LaVar on the Question 7 commercials, all I think is LaVar is getting chubby. I don't think he is going to age well.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

The doubleplay is a possibility here.

57. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Did you know that there is also a question six? I wonder if there are questions one through five and they are just not controversial ?

58. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Not nearly as many white towels as red towels—or orange towels, for that matter. I like the red towels! White is for surrender.

59. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I like the red towels! White is for surrender.Good one NL.

60. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I'm going to treasure my red rally towels from the two games I saw. Even though I saw the two games they lost and missed the happy Werthquake game.

61. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Berry swung at ball three. Then he struck out on a good pitch. Are the Tigers going to leave three on the bases?

62. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

What a choke by the Tigers.

63. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Vogelsong=Houdini

64. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

What an escape job by Vogelsong.

65. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Seriously, could the Tigers squander a bigger opportunity than THAT? Bases loaded, one out. With Cabrera in the on-deck circle, all Berry had to do was not hit into a double play. Personally, I would've told him to never take the bat off his shoulder. Worst case, he strikes out and Cabrera still gets to hit with the bases loaded. Well, Berry took my advice for a little while, working the count to 2-1. Then he swung at a fastball out of the zone that would've made it 3-1, then struck out. Not a good at-bat. But they still had Cabrera at the plate. And what did the Triple Crown winner do? Popped up to end the inning with the bases still loaded. Man, you just don't know how many more chances these guys are going to get.

66. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

If the Giants don't add on, the Tigers may only need one chance.

67. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I am shocked that Vogelsong and Sanchez are still the pitchers of record. Seems like earlier in the playoffs the managers had quick hooks.,these guys have had some arduous innings.

68. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Nice hustle by Pence there.

69. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Pence runs pretty well. Gets a good jump out of the box.

70. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Zim and ALR would have made that play.

71. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:11 AM

As we speak, Ryan's shoulder is on the mend :)

72. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

The bullpens will be given the keys to this game very soon. Advantage, Giants.

73. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:14 AM

That was the game of Sanchez's life – way exceeding expectations.

74. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM

If you are on Twitter, Brandon McCarthy is tweeting about pitcher helmets.

75. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Why can't they do the baseball commercials like they do them for soccer games where they shrink the main screen and show ads in the borders? The game would go so much faster and they would actually be able to run more ads.Then they could also stream the home team's announcers as well, maybe on the SAP audio channel. I would enjoy the actual baseball guys, not the Manilow fans, calling the game. ;-)

76. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32Comment sections are the best. Re: pitcher helmets (http://yhoo.it/Pc038w ) 'Steele' says "a reasonable risk for making a million plus a year"7m Brian Johnson ✈ ‏@bjj50@BMcCarthy32 so you'd be pro-pitcher helmets? Just curious.3m Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32Everybody would be if you made a functional one that's not aesthetically ridiculous

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Impressive by Anibal. 2 bad pitches all game and he found his control in the 4th. Losing 2-0 us more a reflection on his teams lack of offense.

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Tim McCarver: Offense, lack thereof.

79. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Vogelsong still in the game –hmmmmm

80. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Tim McCarver thinks he is Yoda and talks backwards. He does it often. Orel Hershiser is a very smart guy and well spoken. Does a good job.

81. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Steve, I have found plenty of reasons to take offense at McCarver's blatherings.

82. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I looked it up: The Detroit radio guys are Dan Dickerson (PBP) and Jim Price (ex-Tiger analyst). They are quite good.

83. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Watch a pitcher's face when they see the manager coming– if looks could kill. They never want to give up the ball. I love that. Has Timmy had too much time to think or will he come out firing bullets?

84. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Props to Vogelsong for another fantastic start. He's now only the fourth pitcher ever to allow one or zero earned runs in four consecutive postseason starts. The last one to do it: Curt Schilling in 2001. Wow.And how about that Tim Lincecum, once again coming out of the bullpen and throwing gas? What a remarkable development. The Tigers have nine outs left.

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

ehay, listening to McCarver is like watching a car accident. What a wreck.

86. peric - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

113 days until pitchers and catchers …

87. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Peric– the long, dark void.

88. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Those orange cleats are BLINDING!

89. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Does this mean we get two cold tacos Tuesday?

90. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Sanchez has "struggled to get run support"???? LOL. Last time I checked the pitcher has nothing to do with getting run support–especially in the AL…

91. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Never thought Sanchez would go longer than Vogelsong. He really pulled himself together.

92. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Yeah, Sanchez really gave the Tigers a chance to get into this game. Let's see if they can.Fox nightmare: San Fran wins in four games.

93. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM

NatsLady- did they really say that??????? What, do they think the pitcher forgot to pay the hitters or say please????

94. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Jim Price, the Detroit radio analyst guy, is going ballistic about the lack of Tigers offense. Quite understandable. Where is it?

95. peric - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

For those watching ex-Chief Gregor Blanco, remember Corey Brown, Erik Komatsu, and Roger Bernadina might end up being a lot better. At least that's the projection for those left-handed hitters.Plus there's Brian Goodwin. That's a lot of young left-handed, slick fielding outfielders.

96. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

The Detroit audio feed is definitely worth getting, right down to the commercials – the Barbasol ads are old school. And the announcers come back while the Bud and Dick's ads are still airing on Fox.

97. peric - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Its way past time for Tim McCarver to retire. Any day he'll confuse some pitcher in his mind and call him Steve Carlton.

98. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

ESPN is back waaay before the tv broadcast.

99. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Fox coverage is a disgrace.

100. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Yeah, the Detroit radio feed is always back about 45 seconds before Fox shows us any baseball. And Fox is usually showing a celebrity in the stands or something.

101. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Wow, this Quentin Berry guy likes to swing the bat. At balls way outside the strike zone. Another one bites the dust.

102. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Fox (insert 2-1/2 minutes of commercials here) Sports (insert inane celebrity interview here) coverage (insert inane Tim McCarver comment here) is (insert in-house Fox promo here) terrible.Fox = A blight upon our land.

103. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Tweets I wouldn't be surprised to see:@ARod_13_NYY – Liking the Fox camera work! Who's the hottie in the VIP section? Tweet me your digits!@HanleyRamirez – we were better than the Giants all year!

104. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

ESPN guys talking about Pence's unorthodox warm up routine. Pretty funny. Makes Morse's routine look tame.

105. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM

If they ever do a movie on Jason Werth, would Ashton Kucher play him?

106. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I think this game goes to extra innings.

107. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Miguel Cabrera. Prince Fielder. They're supposed to hammer the ball, right? But Cabrera grounds out to short, and Fielder hasn't done anything tonight either.

108. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Audio feed talking about boos.

109. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

The boos are audible on the radio, and the booth team notice it.

110. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Great minds, ehay2k.

111. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Faraz – I did happen to wish for a lot of baseball this week. If we get power outages, this might be the last we see.

112. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Dave – are you doing the vulcan mind meld tonight?

113. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Tiger fans booing? I guess they learned that from the Yankee fans. Lincecum really seems to thrive in relief. Interesting to see if he can transition back to an effective starter next year..

114. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Tim Lincecum, ladies and gentlemen. 2 1/3 more scoreless innings of relief. The Tigers are three outs from being shutout in consecutive World Series games. Unreal.

115. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Hey, I got ESPN on my android and got it synced with the TV. Really neat.

116. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Great commercial for a Detroit plumber on the radio just now. All about all the crap you have to deal with. These plumbers will be happy to deal with the crap for you.An entertaining thing from Detroit this evening.

117. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Oh God, you are right Swami. I forgot about the hurricane. That's gonna suck.oh gosh, who is this Lincecum reliever?ehay2k, I prefer remaking Butterfly Effect and Werth as main character instead of Ashton.

118. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM

SonnyG10, this is what we must do to survive Fox. ESPN, San Fran feed, Detroit feed: all a thousand times better than Buck and McCarver.

119. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:13 AM

SonnyG – it's pretty good — I have really enjoyed it.

120. ehay2k - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Nice Faraz!

121. NatsLady - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Swami, I think you will still have power for the sweep tomorrow…

122. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM

ESPN making a good point. When a Yankee is used in a different spot or sits a game, it's a huge deal. When Bochy makes a move, all the players on his TEAM just pull together for the good of everyone. Lincecum has been impressive. He could have pouted, he didn't and he has been great.

123. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Swami, that's probably why the Yankees are all playing golf now and the Giants are about to go 3-0 in the World Series.

124. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Gregor Blanco has really been flashing leather this week. Grabs a foul ball all the way in the corner in LF.

125. sm13 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM

@ARod_13_NYY. We must really stink to get swept by these guys.

126. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM

WOW

127. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Wow. That's it. The Giants win 2-0 again and take a 3-0 series lead. The baseball season could be over tomorrow night. Stunning.

128. Dave - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM

And the game ends on a swinging strikeout. Amazing.Tigers have one more chance Sunday before the east coast loses all its ability to watch the game on Fox.

129. Mark Zuckerman - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:36 AM

130. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM

The Giants were down 0-2 and they won out in Cincy. Then they stopped the Cards in their tracks after being down in the series. Now this. I really did not expect this. Talk about a team getting hot and peaking at the right time!! I know the Tigers came into tonight down 0-2 and then were behind in the game – but not by much. The stadium seemed very quiet and the fans did not sound into it. This is their first World Series game at home in years. You would think they would have been more into it.

131. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Dave and baseball swami, glad I followed your lead. Much improved listening.

132. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Now, somebody else with their backs to the wall. Go Giants!!!

133. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM

One of the reasons I love post season baseball is that it is never predictable. Just leaves you scratching your head.

134. natsfan1a - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Me, three.Dave said… Michele, my wife just said the same thing about Scherzer's eyes. Freaks her out a little bit too. October 27, 2012 9:32 PM Then he punched his helmet. I'm like, "Dude, it's not your helmet's fault."

135. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

I thank NatsLady for cluing me in on the "TuneIn Radio Pro app earlier this year. It worked great.

136. natsfan1a - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Atta way, Timmy! And Ryan. And Giants. Now, off to sleep.

137. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I love when the National League beats up on the AL. Who cares about interleague play (Hey AL, you get the Astros next year, that should even things up). Good pitching and defense always beat good hitting. Good lord the Tigers bats a icicles. This must be killing Fox b/c you know it ends in 4/5 and the games aren't slug fests. On the bright side, we get to put McCarver out quicker.

138. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Mark Zuckerman said… Seriously, if you knew in advance the Tigers pitching staff would give up 4 total runs in Games 2 and 3, you'd probably have thought they'd be in good shape. Wrong. They trail the series 3-0. Again, just stunning. October 27, 2012 11:36 PM _____________________________The real shock is Detroit doesn't even face the #1 pitcher in the Giants rotation until tonight as the rotation was set up.Lets see what Matt Cain does against them.

139. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

"It doesn't get any better than shared success." — Hunter PenceWhich is why the Giants are winning and the Tiggers are not.The Giants are still incredibly lucky — how many career triples will Blanco have when he hangs up his spikes? — but you get the feeling the Tiggers' hitters are all trying to win in by themselves.The only way this sets up in Detroit's favor is that this is the only time they face Cain. (And Lincecum can't pitch again tonight.) If Detroit beats Cain tonight, then they face the Giants' fourth, third and second starters.

140. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

MASN's Roch Kubatko on Edwin Jackson: "The Orioles kicked the tires on Edwin Jackson last winter. Let's just say there are people in the organization who aren't big fans, and not only because of his inconsistencies on the mound.""Jackson looks like Cy Young one start and Angus Young the next."

141. Theophilus T. S. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

"The Orioles kicked the tires on Edwin Jackson last winter. Let's just say there are people in the organization who aren't big fans . . .."Duquette smarter than Rizzo . . .. I would say that but the season's been over for two weeks and they haven't cut Mark Reynolds (yes, I know he'll be a FA). Obviously, they both have their blind spots.

142. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

A shout out to Mark.. Here is a Q&A with his counterpart from Harrisburg:Patriot-News

143. Faraz Shaikh - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Will there be a game four tonight?

144. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Q: What do you expect from the Nationals in 2013 and beyond? Any major moves on the horizon?A: While there are no guarantees in baseball, the Nats are as well-positioned as any team could be to be serious World Series contenders for the next several years. I believed all along that 2013 was the year everything could come together and they could legitimately “go for it,” and I still believe that will be the case. They’ll have Strasburg for a full season. They’ll have Harper for a full season, and just about every 19-year-old big leaguer has made huge strides when they turn 20. They’ve got just about every important, young player under contract for multiple seasons. And they’re going to be highly motivated after their Game 5 collapse in the NLDS. They probably don’t need to make a bunch of major moves this offseason, but first and foremost they need to decide whether to re-sign LaRoche. Both sides want to get something done. They’ll need another starter to replace Edwin Jackson. And they may need a left-hander or two for their bullpen. But otherwise, this roster is in prime shape to make a real run at the World Series in 2013._______________________________MicheleS, thanks for that link. That was a good read. Looks like Mark Z has already written EJax off as well: "They’ll need another starter to replace Edwin Jackson."

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

146. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Gonat @ 9:00AM, clearly to anyone who knows baseball can say EJax regressed this year and say he was a disappointment but last off-season when the Nats signed him he looked like Dave Duncan fixed him.EJax went from a 3.92 ERA to a 3.58 ERA with the Cards. Rizzo thought the Nats could improve him further as they saw some mechanical issues. What we saw in his 2nd start against the Reds is why he was here only EJax would go back and forth between good and bad in Bouts of inconsistency.EJax is still young. He has a killer slider and much to offer and unfortunately he will tear your heart out with his inconsistencies especially to start games.What team is up next to give him a try?October 28, 2012 9:51 AM ________________________________SteveM, I didn't say anything. Just quoting Roch Kubatko.I think Roch was giving his employer Angelos a thumbs up last year for passing on EJax while trashing the Nats for taking him as if the Orioles knew something. Laughable.I agree with you that EJax regressed and was a disappointment overall although there are some here that see it differently, sure if you count success by only looking at certain games while excluding others.If EJax was brought here as a reclamation project and paid like Wang at $3 million then I think people wouldn't feel as strongly but Rizzo paid him $11 million to be a consistent top of the rotation pitcher. By my count and not looking at his W/L record, he was a top of the rotation pitcher 16 times and 15 times he looked like a #5 or worse. I think if he got better run support he would have looked better to the general baseball public however his 4.03 ERA was by far the worse on the staff.Yes, the EJax experiment didn't work out.

147. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

148. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Gonat said… Sunderland said… Gonat, hard to believe that we're going to take a pitcher from Dave Duncan and improve him. But whadoiknow? February 02, 2012 6:42 PM ____________________________My thoughts exactly regarding Dave Duncan who was the best pitching coach in the Majors, and consider the huge improvement in the 2 months after being EJax was traded from the White Sox to the Cardinals.We will see what Rizzo accomplishes. February 02, 2012 6:47 PM ________________________________________That is from the day EJax was signed and in response to Rizzo's Press Conference on how they think they can improve EJax further. RIZZO: "We think he's got a bit of an upside left. He's a guy that we've seen a lot. I've scouted a lot personally when I was doing scouting for other clubs. We're going to make a few tweaks to his delivery."

149. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Gonat said… 222 – Desmond is Davey's personal project. Ian will have a much better year. If he doesn't then Shortstop will be on the 2013 shopping list. I don't move Danny. He is Gold Glove quality and comfortable there at 2nd.I want Lombo on the team so he can learn under the wings of Mark DeRosa. February 02, 2012 10:52 PM Section 222 said… Gonat — You're entitled to your opinion and your prediction. And believe me, I hope you're right about Desi. But it's simply not such a self-evident and "bankable" view that those who don't share it should be told to shut up. With this team coming together so well it's natural that fans will focus on the two weak links — CF and SS. _______________________________________Also back on February 2, 2012, I found this between me and Section 222 discussing Desi. I'm glad I was right.

150. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

MicheleS said… Gonat/Ghost.. Remember at the beginning of last season when Amber Theo-harris wrote that story about her admiration of the Nats and the woeful O's.. slowly she was phased out. but luckily for her she landed at the NFL network. Roch is probably sucking up to Angelos so he can keep his job. October 28, 2012 10:23 AM _________________________________That's a great point. I just don't like under-handed brown-nosing like that as if I believe it. EJax never would have gone to the Orioles so its easy to make it look like they wouldn't have taken him if the price was right. The Orioles are dumpster divers. If the Tampa Rays had the ability to raise payroll they would dominate the AL East.

151. rabbit34 - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Everyone knows so much,….yet so little. Baseball is so much fun.

152. MicheleS - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

153. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Steve M. said… its time for us to hope for the deliverence of post-season pride to the Washington Nationals.I don't know about the best 25 will go North—-I just want a team that will compete and be pissed when they lose and celebrate when they win and go for it and be a buyer at the trade deadline in July. Meaningful baseball in DC in Sept/Oct would be great! February 03, 2012 1:59 PM ______________________________________SteveM, I read your post a day after the EJax trade and you got your wish! Yep, meaningful baseball in September and October.Maybe the EJax signing was more a message like Jayson Werth. It again showed the Nats would spend money to improve. While EJax didn't have a great season, in his own way he may have helped with the team attitude.

154. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

MicheleS said… Gonat.. considering the shots Roch has been taking and the O's broadcasters took on the Stras shutdown.. it's all underhanded brown nosing. Angelos only wants "yes" men/women working for him. October 28, 2012 10:36 AM ___________________________________You nailed it!Its sad because he will also use his post-season entry as a reason to fleece the flock even more. I see them as a one-time entry based on a lot of baseball luck.

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Gonat, some of my other comments if elation on February 3rd was EJax was replacing Wang in the rotation as Wang was the weak link.I felt EJax was a +3 to the Nats wins and now better than the Braves as I wrote in that same day as I felt Jurjjens and Hanson were the weak links in the Braves rotation. As I predicted the Nats would make the playoffs if they could get ahead if the Braves.

157. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

158. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Gonat, I liked your Ian Desmond comments in February 3rd. It's nice to go against the tide of discontent and be totally right. Peric was leading the charge for Espi at SS and Lombo at 2nd and leading off.October 28, 2012 11:29 AM _________________________________Thanks. I was banking on what I saw from Ian Desmond at the end of 2011. I still remember a few calling to trade Desmond, Lannan, and Flores for BJ Upton.

159. natsfan1a - Oct 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the interview link re. our humble beat writer, Michele.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

MicheleS, good link for Mark.

161. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I've got to say this. Except for RGIII, Alfred Morris and Ryan Kerrigan, the Native Americans absolutely stink.

162. Ghost Of Steve M. - Oct 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM

NatsJack, I think the O line has been doing a decent job.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

While I'll acknowledge that the offensive line has been seviceable, I believe it's more a testament to RGIII's and Morris's talent.

164. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

And the recievers are a friggin joke.

165. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

166. SonnyG10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The Steelers throw-back uniforms about make me blind.

167. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I texted a Steeler buddy of mine that I could handle them when they were standing still but once they started moving around, I got dizzy.

168. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nats classic on masn- older one, msybe 09? ALR playing for the Braves. In the 11th inning now. Hope we win- the info listed is not correct for this game so I can 't look it up.

169. baseballswami - Oct 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Last game of 2009 season. Who are these guys?

170. Gonat - Oct 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… And the recievers are a friggin joke. October 28, 2012 3:43 PM ________________________________That's an understatement! Then you have DeAngelo Hall pulling a Nyjer!

171. NatsJack in Florida - Oct 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Does anybody follow Brian Goodwin on twitter?He may be in trouble with Nats management on some of his tweetsHe comes across more like Lastings Milledge than RGIII.