Oct 27, 2012, 8:33 PM EST
US Presswire photo
The Fall Classic shifts to chilly Comerica Park tonight.
Is a 2-0 series deficit insurmountable? No, it's certainly happened before. But make no mistake, the Tigers really have their backs against the wall now as the 108th World Series shifts to chilly Comerica Park for the next three nights. A Detroit club that entered this Fall Classic as slight favorites because of ace Justin Verlander and a deep and potent lineup didn't play well at all in Games 1 and 2 in San Francisco and needs to get back on track in a hurry.
A couple of signs that may point in the Tigers' favor tonight for Game 3: 1) They fared much better against right-handers (62-49) than left-handers (26-25) during the regular season, 2) Anibal Sanchez has posted a 2.07 ERA over his last nine starts and 3) Detroit gets to use its regular lineup (with Delmon Young as DH) while San Francisco is forced to use backup catcher Hector Sanchez in the DH role.
One big sign, however, that points in the Giants' favor: Ryan Vogelsong has been dominant this month, going 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA in three postseason starts.
So, how will this pivotal Game 3 play out? If you're the Tigers, you've got to jump out to an early lead (their first of the series). If you're the Giants and you get ahead first, all the momentum remains on your side. Enjoy the game, and enjoy the discussion in the comments section (I'll be participating again myself)…
THE 108TH WORLD SERIES – GAME 3
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 8:07 p.m. EDT
Radio: 980 AM, 92.7 FM, 94.3 FM, XM 178
Weather: Partly cloudy, 46 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to CF
CF Angel Pagan
2B Marco Scutaro
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Buster Posey
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers