Oct 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Will the Giants enjoy the ultimate celebration tonight in Detroit?
I'm not sure anyone would have guessed the baseball season could end tonight. Then again, I'm not sure anyone would have guessed the Giants could hold the Tigers to three total runs in Games 1-3 of the World Series … without having sent their ace to the mound.
It's been a stunning Fall Classic so far, and though it's not officially over yet, let's be honest. No team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win the World Series. And only three of the 23 teams that have faced a 3-0 deficit have even been able to force a Game 5.
So the Giants will be smelling blood tonight and will try to wrap this thing up at Comerica Park. They'll hand the ball to Matt Cain, who won Game 7 of the NLCS and has been Mr. Consistency for them all season. Detroit's Max Scherzer has been fantastic in the postseason, but it won't matter how he pitches tonight if his teammates can't produce some semblance of offense.
Since there's obviously nowhere to go around D.C. tonight, might as well batten down the hatches and watch Game 4 with the rest of us. I'll again share my thoughts along the way in the comments section…
THE 108TH WORLD SERIES – GAME 4
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 8:15 p.m. EDT
Radio: 980 AM, 92.7 FM, 94.3 FM, XM 178
Weather: Showers, 45 degrees, Wind 16 mph out to CF
CF Angel Pagan
2B Marco Scutaro
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Buster Posey
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win