Oct 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Will the Giants enjoy the ultimate celebration tonight in Detroit?
I'm not sure anyone would have guessed the baseball season could end tonight. Then again, I'm not sure anyone would have guessed the Giants could hold the Tigers to three total runs in Games 1-3 of the World Series … without having sent their ace to the mound.
It's been a stunning Fall Classic so far, and though it's not officially over yet, let's be honest. No team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win the World Series. And only three of the 23 teams that have faced a 3-0 deficit have even been able to force a Game 5.
So the Giants will be smelling blood tonight and will try to wrap this thing up at Comerica Park. They'll hand the ball to Matt Cain, who won Game 7 of the NLCS and has been Mr. Consistency for them all season. Detroit's Max Scherzer has been fantastic in the postseason, but it won't matter how he pitches tonight if his teammates can't produce some semblance of offense.
Since there's obviously nowhere to go around D.C. tonight, might as well batten down the hatches and watch Game 4 with the rest of us. I'll again share my thoughts along the way in the comments section…
THE 108TH WORLD SERIES – GAME 4
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 8:15 p.m. EDT
Radio: 980 AM, 92.7 FM, 94.3 FM, XM 178
Weather: Showers, 45 degrees, Wind 16 mph out to CF
CF Angel Pagan
2B Marco Scutaro
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Buster Posey
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair