Nov 9, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Given the year-round nature of the baseball season and offseason these days, there's never a perfect time for reporters to go on vacation. But we all need our share of time off, especially after the long and very eventful season the Nationals just experienced.
So I'm punching my time clock today and heading out of town for a little while to spend some quality time with Mrs. Z on a beach in a much warmer climate than this. I'll return at the end of next week, hopefully tanned, rested and re-energized to cover the real meat of what should be an eventful offseason for the Nationals.
Obviously, there are several potential stories that could break in the coming days. Davey Johnson's contract to return as manager next season is all but finalized and could be announced sometime today. Adam LaRoche will likely decline the Nats' $13.3 million qualifying offer before today's deadline (though that doesn't preclude him from re-signing with the team this winter). And Bryce Harper, Johnson and Gio Gonzalez are all finalists for BBWAA awards that will beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats preparing to start Roark or Cole vs. Braves
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats