Harper wins N.L. Rookie of the Year

Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT

Photo by AP

Bryce Harper has been named the 2012 National League Rookie of the Year by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, becoming the youngest position player ever to win the award.

Harper, 20, also becomes the first player to win the honor with the Nationals since the team moved to Washington. Ryan Zimmerman finished second in 2006, missing first place by just four votes.

Harper received 16 first place votes to beat out Wade Miley of the Arizona Diamondbacks who finished with 12. Reds outfielder Todd Frazier placed third with three first place votes.

Afterwards Harper was humbled to be now share a distinction with players he grew up idolizing.

“Just to be up there with names like Jackie Robinson and Mike Piazza and all the guys that won it is just an honor,” he said. “To be able to have a great team to play with all year, they really made this year fun. This is just icing on the cake, definitely.”

Harper was called up by the Nationals to make his major league debut on April 28 after beginning the season in Triple-A. He was given a chance to make the team out of spring training, but struggled and was sent to play with the Syracuse Chiefs.

After joking that his initial concern was about the cold weather in Syracuse, Harper said the experience was valuable in his quick adjustment to the major league level.

1. SCNatsFan - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Start building the shelf for all the awards he will get

2. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I expect a NL MVP and a WS MVP in the next few years.

3. UnkyD - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Like.

4. Candide - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Got new-posted, so this is important enough to repeat :-)Hah – I had Bryce's award up on my Facebook page three minutes before MASN did! Maybe they should fire someone and hire me!

5. Teddy Rochlis - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

well glad that this award went to the most deserving candidate, i guess all that hard work payed off bryce now next on the list is that WS for DC way to go bryce

6. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN It's worth repeating: Trout/Harper to MLB what Bird/Magic were to NBA in 1980. Oh My! What we have to look forward too

7. Gonat - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM

The BBWAA deserve praise for getting the Top 3 correct. Some people like Mark Mulder dislike Bryce Harper and wouldn't have picked him 1 or 2.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Magic and Bird were a great rivalry.way to go Uncle Bryce.

9. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Gonat.As you saw, Mark Mulder is a total tool

10. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Bryce is right!Way to go, Kid.And, presumptive congrats for Tuesday:Way to go, Davey!

11. Laddie Blah Blah - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Harp was the only choice. It should have been unanimous. In 2 years, the Nats will be Harp's team. In 3 years, the National League will be Harp's league.

12. John C. - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I hope that "Harper vs. Trout" becomes a discussion that we have for years and years, like Mays vs. Mantle.Kudos to BBWAA, who got the calls right. Trout was a no-brainer, but I think the vote was right on Harper. Miley and Frazier were legitimate RoY candidates, and Harper didn't have the slam dunk season that Trout had. But I think that Harper's all-around game (offense, defense and base running) while learning a key defensive position and playing it well make him first among rookie equals. Congratulations, Mr. Harper. Is it 2013 yet?

13. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

To hear from Bryce tomorrow.106.7 The Fan‏@1067thefandc Tune in at 11am tomorrow morning to catch NL Rookie of the Year Bryce Harper as he joins @Holdenradio & @funnydanny #Nationals

14. LoveDaNats - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

As it should be. THE most fun player to watch. You never know what he's gonna do.

15. djinFl. - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I am particularly pleased it occured given the number of national pressers who felt he had an inflated attitude. Many future rookies will be wanting to "play it like Bryce", and the fans will be the winners.

16. SonnyG10 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Way to go Bryce!!!! You were right on the new post, Michele.

17. SonnyG10 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Good observation, djinFl.

18. rabbit34 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I can't even believe Wiley was even considered for the award. No suprise with Harper, the best player in baseball. He doesn't need an MVP, he is what he is, the best player in baseball.

19. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Way to go , Bryce!! So far that's been Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and Rookie of the Year. This is kind of fun!

20. Positively Half St. - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I watched the entire program on MLB Network leading up to the announcement, when I would have been happier just knowing immediately that Harper had won. The problem was that the winners were so young that I couldn't bear to listen to them after they found out. For Pete's sake, Trout was almost slack-jawed.I mean no disrespect to the wonderful city of Montreal, but I feel we will not give them their proper due until a few more of the "franchise records" belong to the Nats and not the Expos. We need to make the team predominantly a DC team; a WS championship would have accomplished most of that, and a single extra strike from Drew Storen would also have gone a long way.Since that didn't happen, let's rack up some awards, and become respected and feared in the NL. That never quite happened up north. Still, if we grow comfortable that the Nats aren't a red-headed stepchild, our response to folks who remind us of the Expos could eventually be, "Je me souviens."+1/2St.

21. peric - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hmmm … well in any case …The Nats could round up one of those nice one-off awards that Montreal doesn't have … next year. With a second rookie of the year award for Anthony Rendon. And given the rapid advancement of some of the young pitchers … there might even be a third.You never know.

22. peric - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Meanwhile Swag the puppy is smiling.

23. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I agree – I don't like the joint Expos/ Nats designation any more than I like the joint Oriole's/Nats broadcasts. Don't want to share. Not at all.

24. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM

And another thing- I wish they would re-evaluate what constitutes a rookie. Trout was only eligible due to some new definition and you cannot convince me that Cespedes and Darvish are rookies. It's just gotten way too loose. Bryce is truly a rookie.

25. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM

26. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I know that some of you want to ditch the expos, but I don't.I spent a really wonderful weekend in Montreal and got to see the Expos play at the Big O vs Cinci – the Deion Sanders period. There was a small crowd of about 18K there, but very ardent fans – kind of like Nats Fans in 06-10. They loved their team. They have a rich history in Montreal of baseball from Jackie Robinson to Gary Carter to Andre Dawson to LaGrand Orange-Rusty Staub, but it was destroyed by the 94 stike, and bad ownership – Hello Jeffrey Loria! DC fans got screwed by bad owners and MLB. Let's not be so dismissive of where this team came from. I for one am very happy to have a kinship with Montreal.

27. Theophilus T. S. - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Leiter & Ripken made much of older players taking a cue from the way Harper and Trout play the game — kinda nice.

28. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

And it was true.

29. Theophilus T. S. - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

This is a "domino" story for Peric. Also on MLB Tonight, there was much discussion about how Josh Hamilton was a great fit for Philadelphia, with specific mention of the Philadelphia "band box." The prospect of Hamilton and Howard back-to-back might drive Rizzo to trade half of the Harrisburg roster for Price. Dream or nightmare?

30. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Well put, Michelle. We're all immigrants.

31. Dave - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Bryce Harper is on OUR team. I feel very lucky to be a Nats fan.Congrats, Bryce! I'm kinda with MicheleS. Don't want to really ditch the entire history of the Expos, just like that. But winning a few more of these kinds of awards, along with a World Series title or two will cement the Nats as DC's team.Incidentally, I really liked hearing Bryce mention DC four or five times. Pay the boy, Rizzo! Keep him in this town!

32. Exposremains - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM

No matter the occasion there's always some of you that needs to put the Expos down. If you don't know anything about the history of the Expos that doesn't mean it didn't exist. By the way, Thank you MicheleS for your knowledge.The Expos were almost in the WS until R.Monday hit that homerun and it took this franchise 30 years to get back in the playoff and in a similar fashion the Nats also lost a game they should have won. Hopefully, they are right back at it next year.

33. Exposremains - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Thank you Dave.It's already DC's team but like the Giants or Dodgers and many others they use to be another team. When all the former Expos fan will have passed away by the end of the century no Nats fan will be talking about the Expos.

34. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Not trying to put the Expos down or ignore them at all. It's just that this is now a totally different franchise in a totally different city. New owners, new gm, etc. It morphed into something new when owned by MLB. It was kind of like the cocoon and now the Nats are the butterfly. The Expos had some good times, but, in the end the franchise failed or the city failed and so things ended. Are Desi and Bernie the last Expos standing?

35. Unknown - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

In time, as the DC connection has in Minnesota and Texas, the Montreal connection to DC will fade, but it does not change the kinship we have with them in that both cities were not at fault for losing their teams – Extremely selfish, debt-ridden and poor owners and MLB's mismanagement and allowing these cads to get teams in the first place are the true culprits.Both cities have rich, wonderful baseball histories and passionate, loyal fans. I spoke to fans at the 1969 Senators reunion in 1998, when baseball here was only a dream – and I can tell you, the heartfelt memories, the passion, the love for city, team and baseball was powerful.These fans, including Phil Wood and Phil Hochberg, literally choked back tears talking about Frank Howard, Paul Casanova and all the players they loved. I remember feeling then and still feeling – don't EVER try to tell me that Washington is a bad baseball town. All we ever needed was an owner and a team worthy of our affection. EVERY time we had that, the fans turned out in numbers that were good for the era, just like in 2005 and last season. I feel the same way about Montreal and all cities that have lost teams. In every case a civic trust was unfairly stolen from citizens. But now that we have a team in DC and a darn fine one, let's support them 100%!

36. Doc - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Indeed they are Swam, my friend!I being one of the few remaining Keepers of The Expos' Archives, may I state that Desi and the Flying Dutchman are the only surviving members of the Expos' shipwreck! Ballystar was one too, but he was forced off the island last year.

37. Theophilus T. S. - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Some of us are old enough to remember how Rusty Staub was an international star, because of how he made his mark in Montreal by transcending baseball. He was as popular in Montreal as Beliveau, and as any English speaker since Doug Harvey. He became an icon in NY, and an icon in Detroit, because he was an icon in Montreal first, and was followed on pages of the newspapers outside the sports section. I was thrilled when he came to Detroit (though I was living in DC at the time) and he gave the Tigers three very good years. Martinez (Pedro, not Dennis) is remembered for being w/ the Red Sox, Carter for his years with the Mets and Dawson with the Cubs — but Staub, I think, will always be remembered as an Expo.

38. Doc - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Brian Kenny did a great job of stating Harp's sabermetric case. Can't wait to see The Kid step on the field next season!!!!GooooROYGooooooooooooooooooNats!!!

39. Gonat - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Brian Kenny also showed some impressive baserunning stats for Bryce.As many have said, Bryce does so much more than what showed up on the stat sheet.

40. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

He certainly did, Doc – in glowing, mathematical terms. Several of the other mlbtv non- metric types also were raving about him, including Al Leiter and Billy Ripken. And to think that he is ours, along with Strassie, because of the dark years of losing a lot. Funny how things work.

41. Dave - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I was thinking about that business of getting these prime players because we were so horrible.I will be very interested to see how the Nats' draft goes in 2013, with the very last draft pick in all of the major leagues. Then we'll truly be able to see Rizzo's drafting skills–I hope.

42. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Having watched Bryce all year, I have to say that he seems to have two speeds on the field: fast, and "ain't no stopping me now!" (Sorry, Bo, I was going so fast I didn't see the stop sign). It will be interesting to see how he ages: how long will he be able to keep up that level of energy.ArVAFan

43. SonnyG10 - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I'm very much in agreement with Michele on our Expos roots. So much so that I spent big bucks on a Montreal Expos baseball hat worn by none other than John Lannan just so I could have a souvenir of the Montreal era. I didn't root for the Expos when they were in Montreal, but then I didn't root for any team then. I'm such a homer that when our Senator teams left Washington, I quit watching baseball…for 32 years. I am happy we have some Expo fans still following the team. They are more loyal than I'm afraid I would have been. In time it will be all Washington DC as the Expos fade from memory, but I don't want to deny our former Expos fans (current Nats fans) of holding on to their memories.

44. Gonat - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/phillies-talk/Rollins-on-NL-East-It-still-runs-through?blockID=801193&feedID=704Good ole JRoll talking trash like the punk he is. Here he is at his own charity event and has to make headlines for reasons other than his noble cause of raising money for child abuse."It still runs through Philly," Rollins said. "[Washington] had one year to win it. It was just like when the Mets took it from Atlanta, it was still up for grabs. I'm sure Atlanta felt it was still theirs, but fortunately we were able to come in and take it the next five years."Following the 2012 season when the Washington Nationals clinched the NL East to snap the Phillies' five-year run, Rollins stated that if the Phillies had been healthy, Washington would have finished second (see story)."We were undermanned. It was written — you'd write the lineup every single day and we're undermanned against a lot of teams. As soon we got healthy, you start to see us turn back around and catch our rhythm. Everyone's a little angry which is good to get a chip on your shoulder and just go back out there and prove that this is still our division, but not only that, but that we're still World Champions."

45. Gonat - Nov 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM

46. Gonat - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

From ESPN: For the first time, players learned the voting results when they were announced on television.On when he found out: "I found out when everybody else did. I was sitting in the chair, heart was beating a little bit. I think it was just a great moment for me and my family and everybody around. I think it was a great moment for D.C. It was a lot of fun to be able to see that and enjoy that and bring that in."_____________________________Some thought because the Nats had Harp available for a 7:30PM conference call that it was a foregone conclusion that they knew he won.Glad Harp won so he wasn't making a runner-up speech at that conference call!

47. Another_Sam - Nov 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I've said it before — the impact that Harper had on the club, and on the league, is immeasurable. Congratulations. Well deserved.Michele et al.: yes on Montreal and baseball. And when I saw this club take the field in Viera in 2005, they were the Expos in new uniforms. With Frank leading the pack. They've evolved, but that's what they were, for sure.BTW, as you no doubt know, Michele, Montreal is a very very cool town.

48. NatsJack in Florida - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Got a few minutes before I leave for my meeting with the County people here in Charleston so here's a few tidbits from Sunday nite.Davey and the team had an agreement in place about 3 weeks ago but waited until everything was signed before the announcement. His determination that this is his last year is based on today and not how may feel a year from now. (The man does change his mind from time to time.)Nobody in the organization has entertained moving any infield position players. That has never even been a discussion topic except for some of that crap bloggers put out and yes, that's the cleaned up quote.Anthony Rendon is a true talent "with some questions that need answering". My guess is don't look for him this year unless several serious injuries occur and one of them is not his.And finally on Espinosa.After listening to Eck's patented basic hitting 101 speech given to a young college player at the party which consists of, "if you are not cocked and loaded to hit the 95mph inside fastball, you are meat. Hands away from the body, not behind your head, minimal leg kick (preferably none) that doesn't elevate your shoulders off an even plane, head steady throughout the swing from start to finish".He emphasized that hitting is a hand/eye function once your hips are cleared.Afterwards I specifically asked, "Rick, Danny Espinosa….what's going on?"He explained that Danny is a "tweener" that thinks he's a bonafide 25 HR guy. They've had the discussion about shortening his stroke from the left side over and over and over again and Danny nods that he understands, then heads off to compete with Desmond in a home run derby. He acknowledged that the K rate is in his DNA with his current approach. Danny has not changed his thinking or his approach and I can tell you, the leash is getting shorter.

49. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

50. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

NatsJack. Thanks for the scoop, I hope Eck and Davey can fix Espi this year, just so much potential. I can only imagine Davey's comments about the infield moving around, I am sure it was full of expletives.Gonat, saw that on Rollins – can you say Tick Tock! Just a smidge bitter.Also for everyone, looks like the AFL Nats are in the AFL Championship, which means Saturday Baseball for us.Byron Kerr‏@masnKerrWith Salt River win over Scottsdale Tuesday, Rafters will earn berth in AFL championship Saturday #Nats

51. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Gonat.. Do you ever sleep?

52. SCNatsFan - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Michelle is sounds like only Danny can fix Danny. He should have never seen the "chicks dig the long ball" commercials.

53. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

SC.. I hated those commercials.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I can't describe the frustration exhibited during the "Danny" discussion.And you are right SCNatsFan……those were exact words coupled with "it's all in his head".

55. sjm308 - Nov 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Great Award for Bryce – really makes me proudMichelleS – I went to Montreal right after I learned we might get them and saw the Expo's play the Cardinals. There honestly were not 5,000 people inside that doomy, run down, once glorious building but man did they love their team! No lines at the box office and they guy kinda laughed when I asked about good seats. We sat right behind the 3rd base dugout and it was so quiet we could hear just about everything. What I left with though was what a great city Montreal is and we have been back twice.Rusty Staub – great bar question (I almost hate giving those out here)- only player to hit 50+ homeruns for FOUR teams (remember he started with the Astro's).Will be rooting for Davey.Here is another obscure fact. BBWAA did not start giving out this award until 1983. Until then Sporting News was the sole Managers Award and they gave just one for both leagues. Ossie Bluege was the only Washington Senator to win (1945). If you count Expo's Buck Rogers(1987) and Felipe Alou (1994) have both won the BBWAA award. One last trivia, the AL manager in 1994 is working right down the road now (Buck Showalter).Everyone be nice to each other today!!Go Nats!!

56. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Real baseball fan chicks dig the situational hitting.

57. baseballswami - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

What's our AFL team again and are they in the playoff game on tv Saturday?

58. alexva - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

NatsJack, good stuff. If Espinosa was in a lineup lacking power or with more contact hitters it could be tolerated, especially with the defense he brings.

59. sjm308 - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

NatsJack – thanks for that information! Well written and I will try and remember that when the other "stuff" starts being spewed.I am not an insider, but I do hope/think that Rendon is special and will up as soon as he can prove the injury thing is over. He is older, and has so many positives, I just don't think keeping him in the minors helps him or us. Problem is, of course, where do you play him?Go Nats!!

60. sjm308 - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Swami – The Salt River Rafters

61. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

62. natsfan1a - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Catching up with comments. First, and as noted last night: atta way, Bryce!Re. swami's question on the AFL Rafters and as reported by Michele, yes, we get to see them play on Saturday night.The long ball is okay but I also like a nice triple or an inside-the-parker. Stealing home is okay, too. And, of course, sparkly defense. :-)Last but not least, interesting to read about NJ's "insider" discussions re. Danny but I also wonder how the guy would feel reading all that stuff posted about him here (should he happen to see or get wind of it). I'm sure Danny's heard it all face-to-face, anyway, but it makes me rather uncomfortable to see a private discussion about him reported here. But that's just me.

63. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Great post, Nats Jack. I think Espinosa's stubbornness is pathetically obvious.The guy could be a steady .280 to .300 hitter if he would just accept that he isn't expected to hit a home run every time that he comes up. Yes, he has power from both sides, but he isn't being the team asset that he could be if he would not only listen to Eckstein, but follow through and take his freaking advice. With Danny's terrific defense you can take a less then elite hitter, but it's not just his strike outs, it's when they tend to occur.As to the repositioning of the infielders, sorry,but in spite of being told that I don't know anything about baseball, I also doubt very seriously that there is any serious plan to move Ryan Zimmerman to first base at this time. Maybe when he is in his 30's. A huge, unmentioned difference between Harper and Rendon coming up and starting is that Harper didn't supplant the All Star caliber Face of the Franchise. He replaced a .200 hitting CF that was struggling big time.Not one of us have seen Rendon enough at third to say definitively that he is ready to play a ML caliber third base.Back to the thread's topic, I am so happy for young Bryce Harper, and for all of us, that he got the ROY. Now, it's Davey Johnson's turn for the N.L. Manager of the Year!

64. Faraz Shaikh - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

very neat write-up by Dave Cameron on harper vs trout: http://bit.ly/QDRfduLike one commenter said, it would be great for baseball. These are two of the most exciting players I have seen in my short, baseball life.'Barring some kind of injury, there’s a good chance you’ll be watching both Trout and Harper giving acceptance speeches in Cooperstown in 25 years. It’d be fun if they went in together, as they’re going to be inextricably linked for the rest of their careers.'

65. sm13 - Nov 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Congrats to Bryce. We'll all remember how lucky we were to see his rookie year. Yes, his stats were ROY-worthy , but you hadda be there to feel the energy he brought to the ballpark every day and the spark he gave to the lineup.

66. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Bryce's steal of home and Jayson's game four HR were my favorite moments in the stands this year. It's funny, on Harper's next at bat,after the steal,he bunted to most everybody's surprise. I felt that he was trying to bunt the ball up the base path so as Cole Hamill would field it and Bryce would run him over, but the ball went too far towards the mound. Old school baseball,dat is!

67. MicheleS - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We also dig stud pitchers and especially a knee buckling curve ball ;-)

68. JT - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Happy for the ROY award for BH, but I really like his comment that the main goal for him is to win a WS title for DC. This goes a long way in recognizing that he isn't in it solely for personal awards. It's refreshing that team oriented goals still exist in someone of his age and not just the me me me syndrome.

69. NatsNut - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

This chick digs the 2B pickoff.

70. fast eddie - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

NatsJack:Great inside info on Danny. So, does this means Lombo gets a shot at winning 2B this spring?I wouldn't mind platooning Danny and Lombo, but that's not Davey's style. If it happened, Lombo would get the majority of starts due to the preponderance of RHPs.

71. 3on2out - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Let me throw myself on the mercy of the court. My expectations for Bryce were something like .250/.300/.350. Not horrible…but I anticipated a brash 19-year old to struggle. He did struggle. At times. But in the end he put up numbers for a 19-year old unequaled in the history of the game (except for Tony Conigliaro). I am thrilled to be so totally wrong in the prognostication department. I will definitely be keeping my day job and am thrilled that I will get to watch Bryce do HIS day job for seasons to come!

72. NatsJack in Florida - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Again, in so many words, I get the vibe that Espinosa will either figure it out or find himself scratching his head like he does after so many of his k's when he's sonewhere else via trade. Again, the frustration level has redlined.

73. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

One great AFL stat of Rendon's is that in spite of a slow start he has struck out less then 1 out of 5 AB's.

74. Exposremains - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

NatsJack or someone elseDo you think Espinosa has more trade value now or he had better trade value when he was almost traded for Greinke?

75. Tcostant - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

A great job by the writters realizing that Harper doing what he did as a teanager, trumped all else. Congrads!!!If you need a laugh folks, read this –>http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/phillies-talk/Rollins-on-NL-East-It-still-runs-through?blockID=801193&feedID=704

76. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Up until now, all I've ever heard from Davey Johnson regarding Danny is "Espinosa's my second baseman." Nothing has changed at this point, though if there were a change in his status my guess is that it would be more likely to be in the form of a trade rather then a platoon situation.

77. Exposremains - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Nats also got much better when they weren't hurt. Rollins, you lost, deal with it.

78. Joe Seamhead - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Tcostant, that song and dance routine has been Rollins' matra since the end of last year. I also posted my 2 cents worth just now on that blog.

79. Theophilus T. S. - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I doubt they trade Espinosa unless they think Rendon is ready to step in at 2B. They don't do it because they're anxious to turn the job over to Lombardozzi. Espinosa's defense is worth that much. So I think he's here through at least this season, maybe longer. The problem is that other than Rendon I'm not sure there's another 2B in the system who comes anywhere close to replacing him. (I think this is Kobernus's Rule 5 year and he hasn't looked like major-league material in any case.) So, while Espinosa might end up in a trade, it will involve a surplus pitcher as a piece in a deal for somebody else's 2B.

80. JD - Nov 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Theo, If the Nats considered Rendon to be in the mix for the 2nd base job they would have played him there in the minors but he has played nothing but 3rd base at any level. Please consider that this is a player who has had severe ankle injuries to go with some shoulder problems. Do you want to have a player like that at 2nd base with runners barreling in on his ankles breaking up double plays?

81. Faraz Shaikh - Nov 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Agree with JD. I have heard that argument against Rendon manning 2b before and it makes sense. I think Nationals will stick stuck with Danny next season, hoping he pays attention to what coaches have to say.

82. natsfan1a - Nov 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So I guess, to sum it up, we chicks basically just like, you know, baseball. :-)