Nov 20, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse would be big pieces in 2013, but after that?
Throughout their history in Washington — and most definitely in the four years since Mike Rizzo became general manager — the Nationals have adhered to one simple philosophy when it comes to player acquisitions and roster building: All moves must be in the best long-term interests of the organization.
It's a philosophy that has done the Nationals well, allowing them to build a team that not only reached the postseason for the first time this year but is built to keep on winning for years to come.
Might it be an appropriate time, however, to tweak that philosophy? For the first time in their history, might the Nationals sacrifice long-term potential in exchange for short-term satisfaction?
This might be the most compelling, over-arching question of the offseason. Clearly, this is a team that will enter 2013 with a real shot at winning the World Series, no matter what moves Rizzo makesRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge