Nov 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo has some roster decisions to make today.
One of baseball's many obscure deadlines strikes tonight at midnight, when players eligible for the Rule 5 draft must be added to their club's 40-man rosters or else risk being snatched away by other organizations.
Rarely do these decisions result in total disaster for teams — how many people even remember the Nationals lost Brad Meyers and Erik Komatsu in last year's Rule 5 draft, and how many of those remember both players were ultimately returned to the organization? — but there's always a chance a team could make a major miscalculation and lose a top prospect.
So general manager Mike Rizzo and his player development folks have some important decisions to make before the end of the night.
For the uninitiated (or the confused) here's a quick refresher course on how this all works…
— Any players in the Nationals' organization who signed at age 18 and have played in parts of at least five seasons, plus any whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span gets MRI; plus updates on Escobar and Zim
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos