Nov 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo has some roster decisions to make today.
One of baseball's many obscure deadlines strikes tonight at midnight, when players eligible for the Rule 5 draft must be added to their club's 40-man rosters or else risk being snatched away by other organizations.
Rarely do these decisions result in total disaster for teams — how many people even remember the Nationals lost Brad Meyers and Erik Komatsu in last year's Rule 5 draft, and how many of those remember both players were ultimately returned to the organization? — but there's always a chance a team could make a major miscalculation and lose a top prospect.
So general manager Mike Rizzo and his player development folks have some important decisions to make before the end of the night.
For the uninitiated (or the confused) here's a quick refresher course on how this all works…
— Any players in the Nationals' organization who signed at age 18 and have played in parts of at least five seasons, plus any whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'
- Nats hope to keep bats rolling vs. Phillies
- MLB Power Rankings: Red Sox, Dodgers flying high