Nov 20, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Mike Rizzo has some roster decisions to make today.
One of baseball's many obscure deadlines strikes tonight at midnight, when players eligible for the Rule 5 draft must be added to their club's 40-man rosters or else risk being snatched away by other organizations.
Rarely do these decisions result in total disaster for teams — how many people even remember the Nationals lost Brad Meyers and Erik Komatsu in last year's Rule 5 draft, and how many of those remember both players were ultimately returned to the organization? — but there's always a chance a team could make a major miscalculation and lose a top prospect.
So general manager Mike Rizzo and his player development folks have some important decisions to make before the end of the night.
For the uninitiated (or the confused) here's a quick refresher course on how this all works…
– Any players in the Nationals' organization who signed at age 18 and have played in parts of at least five seasons, plus any whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets